LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 2004 Laser Cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 10:32 PM
mexicanhan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 2004 Laser Cruise control not working

HI i recently bought my 2004 ls430 with 138k miles and have been loving it since.
However it seems like cruise control is not possible at all. While most posts here seem to state that when cruise control is activated, there should be a indicator in the center small display which states "radar ready" of some sort or some indicator that says Check cruise control.

Instead

I get nothing. No light or nothing. I cannot activate it at all. I tried to disable by pushing the lever towards the dash, checking to see if there were any fuses that would be causing this issue

I initially thought the fuse or something was gone and I could just replace the fuse, but after looking for hours, I didn't see a solution to others experiencing similar symptoms.

I do see the laser control module as it has that asymmetrical gap in the car, it doesn't seem like the module is broken, but i just do not understand why it would just not turn on at all. I don't have a need for the laser auto cruise, but i use regular cruise control often so would love to at least be able to have regular cruise control.

Could it be that the switch is just not making contact? is that a problem people have faced before?

Old 10-05-20, 09:03 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

Easiest way to troubleshoot is to plug in a laptop equipped with Toyota Techstream software and diagnose from there, or pay dealership to do the same, likely 1hr labor charge.

If the main switch cannot be turned on, your suspect areas are:
* Cruise control switch circuit

* Steering wheel spiral cable
* Wire harnesses between (1) Engine ECU and cruise control switch and (2) cruise control switch and body ground

* Engine system
* Combination meter system

Only the earliest 2004 models WITH ADAPTIVE CRUISE OPTION have laser cruise (module in lower bumper), most 2004s WITH ADAPTIVE CRUISE OPTION have milliwave radar cruise (plexiglass plate in front of the L in the front grille).

Last edited by StanVanDam; 10-05-20 at 09:56 AM. Reason: To clarify that cruise is an option
Old 10-05-20, 09:53 AM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam

Only the earliest 2004 models have laser cruise (module in lower bumper), most 2004s have milliwave radar cruise (plexiglass plate in front of the L in the front grille).

Lots of good data but this isn't correct at all. In all my searching for my LS430 I only saw two with the millimeter wave anti collision system with the plexiglass plate and both were UL's. Most cars either didn't have either or had the offset laser in the asymmetric lower bumper opening.
Old 10-05-20, 09:58 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

Edited my post to eliminate your confusion. As the topic was about adaptive cruise, I was referring to cars with adaptive cruise, not cars without adaptive cruise.
Old 10-05-20, 06:17 PM
mexicanhan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIXED!(At least I believe so)
Hey man Thanks for your recommendation. I took upon my self to just take out the steering wheel and check the cruise control button switch.I was testing the continuity specifically for the button that would turn the cruise control on or off. There are some metallic contacts that seemed to exist so continuity could be checked that just would not show continuity despite pressing the button.

There was a small phillips screw that seemed to open the lid for the cruise on button, and in my case, the metal contact prongs were bent to the point where it would not touch the contact pads. I did not take pictures unfortunately as i was doing this late at night.

After bending the prongs to make contact and checking that the button was working via the continuity I reinstalled everything and after turning the car on, the cruise light turns on!

I was unable to drive as there were other cars blocking the driveway, but at least the cruise control is turning on.
Old 10-08-20, 12:21 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I use this adaptive cruise any time I can. I love it, really. Its not as good as today's laser as opposed to radar in that they are able to take the car to a dead stop and then accelerate again. Mine just screams with I'm outa here and its all yours below 20mph.
Now if I could just figure out to on the off time Id like to just use egular cruise control.

Glad you got yours fixed.
Old 06-12-21, 10:49 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Alright, my Laser cruise control is being a little temperamental. It will most of the time pick up the car in front of and sometimes not. Its a little un-nerving coming up on a car and thinking "come on baby, see it see it," ah shoot and hit the brakes.

Are there re-calibration procedures to maybe bring it back in compliance? How about troubleshooting procedure's.

I can get a used laser on eBay for around $300. A new one is $1250. But...

Thanks
Dave