LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: ¿Do you think the transmission will still work?
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

2004 Lexus LS430 6 speed Coolant mixed with ATF

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 07:49 PM
OliverLS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2004 Lexus LS430 6 speed Coolant mixed with ATF

Hi, I have a 2004 Lexus LS430 with the 6 speed transmission. I want to start this thread to get some opinions from you guys and update you on this journey. So, lets start, I have an '04 LS430, in February I noticed the car overheating, so I checked the radiator for coolant and I saw a disgusting mix of fluids, looking like baby poop. I was worried that it could be a head gasket, but it smelled like ATF, so I drove to an Automatic Transmission shop here in Panama (the country) they checked the oil pan, and yes, it was ATF and coolant mixed. They wanted to do a $3500 job to replace everything, but that exceeds the price of the car here in Panama so I decided to go with a simple flush, they were not happy and said that the job would have no warranty, but I still agreed to the terms and conditions. They installed an aftermaket cooler and disconnected the radiator transmission cooler lines, I took the car home when the job was done. Few days later I checked the oil pan, and it was still mixed, they didn't change all 11 qts of the transmission, probably changed about 4qts, then here in Panamá COVID 19 struck, the government ordered a shutdown of everything, we could only leave our houses for 2 hours, so I couldn't get a mechanic, get the parts, or do the job myself, and because of the shutdown spending about 300$ was a big risk. Until now, October, I can finally afford to do the flush, I would like to know everyone's opinion. ¿Do you think the transmission will still work? The car has been sitting for 9 months, only moved about 50 miles or less with the disgusting strawberry milkshake mix. It was shifting fine even with the ATF and coolant mixed.

This was the fluid that I took out AFTER the fluid change.

This was the fluid that came out BEFORE the fluid change.

The external cooler.
Old 10-05-20, 06:07 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Your transmission clutch packs have been damaged by the water exposure. Your best chance now is to buy a case of transmission fluid and three or four filters. Drop the pan, change the filter, refill the transmission, drive a few miles, drop the pan again, etc., until the supplies are finished. After your fluid is totally clean, drive around and see how it feels. And get a price for a used transmission because you’ll probably need one eventually.
Old 10-05-20, 06:52 AM
OliverLS
Rookie

But do you think that the car sitting for 9 months was a big problem for the transmission? Or if I changed everything as soon as I saw the problem there would be no difference?
Old 10-05-20, 06:56 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OliverLS
But do you think that the car sitting for 9 months was a big problem for the transmission? Or if I changed everything as soon as I saw the problem there would be no difference?
Sitting in contaminated fluid harmed the transmission for sure. I can’t tell the extent of the damage over the Internet.
I had a somewhat related situation with my old LS400 ten years ago. I bought a junkyard transmission for the car and didn’t install it for six months. After I installed it, when I drained the fluid for the first time a TON of water came out. Long story short, I got it to work after running a case of fluid through it and changing the filter many times because clutch material kept clogging it up. Once the filter stopped filling up with debris, the transmission worked for the next few years.
Old 10-05-20, 07:06 AM
OliverLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdls
Sitting in contaminated fluid harmed the transmission for sure. I can’t tell the extent of the damage over the Internet.
I had a somewhat related situation with my old LS400 ten years ago. I bought a junkyard transmission for the car and didn’t install it for six months. After I installed it, when I drained the fluid for the first time a TON of water came out. Long story short, I got it to work after running a case of fluid through it and changing the filter many times because clutch material kept clogging it up. Once the filter stopped filling up with debris, the transmission worked for the next few years.
Oh ok, thank you so much, it gives me some hope. Here in Panama a used transmission will be impossible to find, I would have to order one and it probably exceeds the value of the car, im probably better off junking it if the transmission doesn't work. I'll hope for the best and expect the worst. I'll keep you updated.
The following users liked this post:
NavyTrev (10-20-20)
Old 10-05-20, 08:31 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Oh ok, thank you so much, it gives me some hope. Here in Panama a used transmission will be impossible to find, I would have to order one and it probably exceeds the value of the car, im probably better off junking it if the transmission doesn't work. I'll hope for the best and expect the worst. I'll keep you updated.
Good luck man!
Old 10-05-20, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL, OliverLS.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on this car?
Old 10-06-20, 06:00 AM
OliverLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL, OliverLS.

Hi, the car has 88,000 miles. The previous owner had to change the transmission at the dealer for a brand new one, I bought it with around 53,000 miles back in 2012, so I would guess the transmission has around 40-50k miles maybe less.
Old 10-06-20, 07:10 AM
OliverLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL, OliverLS.

Now that I remember, back when the car was bought the transmission was brand new, probably had 1,200 miles back then, so the transmission should have 35-40k miles.
Old 10-07-20, 07:52 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Do a series of drains and refills and filter changes. after 5-6 of those, if the trans is still working, you're probably in the clear.
Old 10-20-20, 06:34 AM
OliverLS
Rookie

Hi everyone, this is the end result, a lot of water came out of the transmission, the mechanic even told me that he was not optimistic, but he took the car for a drive and he said the car was fantastic, I drove it myself and the car was driving great, I used some Dexron III to flush and then filled the transmission with some Mag 1 Multi Vehicle ATF, there is probably still some dexron III in the transmission which I will take out, I still have 5qts of multi vehicle ATF left. He took out about 10 or 12 qts of the mixed atf, he put in about 8 qts of dexron 3 (some was flushed out of course) then he put in 7 qts of the multi vehicle fluid.
Old 10-20-20, 06:48 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Hi everyone, this is the end result, a lot of water came out of the transmission, the mechanic even told me that he was not optimistic, but he took the car for a drive and he said the car was fantastic, I drove it myself and the car was driving great, I used some Dexron III to flush and then filled the transmission with some Mag 1 Multi Vehicle ATF, there is probably still some dexron III in the transmission which I will take out, I still have 5qts of multi vehicle ATF left. He took out about 10 or 12 qts of the mixed atf, he put in about 8 qts of dexron 3 (some was flushed out of course) then he put in 7 qts of the multi vehicle fluid.
Good update. The LS430 transmission specifies Toyota ATF WS; it isn’t compatible with Dexron 3 unfortunately. The multi-vehicle fluid attempts to make every transmission happy but in the end it pleases nobody. In my opinion you should flush everything in the transmission again with genuine fluid and then resume your enjoyment of the car. If you can’t get genuine transmission fluid then you can use Aisin WS fluid or Idemitsu’s WS fluid. Did your mechanic change the filter?
Old 10-20-20, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yeah I agree with sdls, gotta flush it again and put the right fluid into it....
Old 10-20-20, 07:39 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Well these car do have durable trans in general but you need to stop with tbt random fluids and fully exchange everything with the correct spec stuff if you want to avoid issues. You will ruin the clutches if you use the wrong fluid for too long
Old 10-20-20, 07:48 AM
OliverLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdls
Good update. The LS430 transmission specifies Toyota ATF WS; it isn’t compatible with Dexron 3 unfortunately. The multi-vehicle fluid attempts to make every transmission happy but in the end it pleases nobody. In my opinion you should flush everything in the transmission again with genuine fluid and then resume your enjoyment of the car. If you can’t get genuine transmission fluid then you can use Aisin WS fluid or Idemitsu’s WS fluid. Did your mechanic change the filter?
Yes, he changed the filter.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus LS430 6 speed Coolant mixed with ATF