LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission Flush Effects

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 06:39 AM
cyanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Flush Effects

Hello, I just got an 06 LS430 with 113k miles and am a total fan but have some questions. I talked with a Toyota dealer who did the timing belt and water pump who has worked on them before and said a transmission flush with WS was fine and not urgent. He said it did not present a risk as the trans was made after the 90's and that was a problem with earlier transmissions. Doing my research on here it seems like the forum prefers the drain and fill technique. That is well and good it just seems like the shop needs to get the get the temp exactly right and do it meticulously with more ways to go wrong and consequently have the wrong amount of fluid. The car is a one owner, used by and old man and largely used on the highway. I doubt that the transmission is already destroyed as that seems to be the scenario when a full flush will cause the trans to slip. It currently shifts smooth. Has anyone gotten the first transmission flush above 80k miles? How has your car been since? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
clarkkubia (12-17-20)
Old 10-22-20, 08:05 AM
smokey6010
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have an 06. I had the transmission flushed twice, once at 80k. Then again at 160k. Both flushes were done using vavoline maxlife at a Lexus dealer. They use maxlife because it is a full synthetic where Toyota atf isn't. Living in Arizona and knowing heat is the killer of transmissions, I feel better using the synthetic atf. I have been using maxlife in the transmission now for almost 100k miles with no issues. I actually think the transmission shifts smoother with the synthetic then with toyota's atf. If the Lexus tech. says you would be ok with a full flush, I would get it done although I wouldn't put it off much longer.
cyanu (10-22-20)
Old 10-22-20, 09:26 AM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default First fluid exchange around 95k

I got my 2005 with 35k on it in 2009 and had a fluid exchange at dealer around 90k. No dealer around me wanted to do a drain and fill. That was around 2014. Car shifts perfectly.

I have had two issues. For a while it would have a slight pause when accelerating from a stop, like a .5 second, which made turning through traffic scary. I was going to bring it in but it resolved itself completely over 1-2 months. That was around 2017 when I became the primary driver of the car from my wife. Perhaps it was a learning thing (the trans can adapt) or some kind of reset. Did not seem related to the much-earlier fluid exchange. Also car has always needed a split second when going out of driveway from reverse to forward for the actual gear shift. Just how it works and probably better not to tear out until the shift is complete on any car: not good for the trans.

In short, I would prefer a drain and fill but the exchange (around $250+ at the dealer, lots of fluid) seemed fine and I would likely do it again until around 180k miles or another 5 years or so.
cyanu (10-22-20)
Old 10-24-20, 08:29 PM
AustinMR2
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased an 06 LS430 with 174k miles several months ago. Transmission is smooth and perfectly mannered. Nowhere have I seen any indication of transmission service. I am the second owner. I have performed two drains and fills. Both times were done using valvoline maxlife. I can get two quarts out each time. I have kept a sample of the ATF both times in clear water bottles to compare progress. I will be repeating this several more times. Transmission is just perfect, hope it stays like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by AustinMR2:
cyanu (12-13-20), nvwls (11-02-20)
Old 10-24-20, 08:45 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I did the flush about two months ago, 90k miles 04’, no issues to report, about 1k miles since

if it helps for another point, I also had a flush on our 09 LX about a year ago and no issues either. That had 138k back then and 155k now. We drive that, a lot.

there are conflicting reports out there about flush vs. Drain and I don’t have data points to support either as being better or worse. If there is no damage to the box already, a flush shouldn’t shorten the life span...
cyanu (12-13-20)
Old 12-02-20, 11:03 AM
clarkkubia
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2006 LS 430 10 years ago. It had 50k miles on it and dealer said trans fluid never needs changing. So I took it to my Tech and they did a fluid exchange called BG. The system is attached to some trans line and new fluid is pumped in while car is running until the fluid is looks new. It takes twice the amount of fluid and is more costly than a dump and drain which only gets to about a third of the fluid.
At 50k the old fluid they took out look like Coca Cola with the thickness of molasses. My service guy says he makes fortune replacing transmissions that are said to be never needs changing. When the warrant expires is when the trans go to hell.
Check it out, The bg system.
cyanu (12-13-20)