LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Instrument cluster issues anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 07:05 PM
LSneewb
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Instrument cluster issues anyone?

My instrument cluster is acting up and Lexus dealer is not sure if its the fuse box or the cluster itself. Anyone heard of the instrument clusters failing or acting weird on the LS430?
Old 10-25-20, 12:41 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by LSneewb
My instrument cluster is acting up and Lexus dealer is not sure if its the fuse box or the cluster itself. Anyone heard of the instrument clusters failing or acting weird on the LS430?
If "acting up" like a child, then we might advise time out.

Oftentimes electrical supply issues.

Without more specifics or conditions, a few blind comments:

1.) If original fuses, possibly tarnished or oxidized fuse sockets. Inexpensive to replace all. See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...400-fuses.html

2.) Check battery terminals and negative ground points...if ground point bolts are rusting, replace them. Inexpensive.

3.) Battery and alternator original? Test both. If battery 5 years or older, replace with largest capacity battery that will fit.(have had good experience with Interstate brand)

4.) Not sure on LS430, but on LS400, if moonroof drains are clogged, then water travels up and over the drain valley and leaks down over connector bulkhead on right side of vehicle kick panelThis causes the body ECU multiplexed wiring to short out.

5.) Check integrity of positive battery cable terminus connection.

6.) Chassis to engine and chassis to transmission ground straps?? See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ound-wire.html

The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (10-25-20)
Old 10-25-20, 03:16 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

The company (SIA or SAI I think? ) that repairs ECUs also repairs gauge clusters. Most of the problems reported on the forum over the years with gauge clusters were electrical and related to water leak, flooding, or fuse box issues.
Old 10-25-20, 03:28 PM
LSneewb
Driver

Thanks guys. I didnt think there were many electrical faults caused by the cluster itself by searching this forum. My cluster works just fine except the power to it cuts out everytime I turn the car off and wont come back till I take out the MPX-B2 fuse and put it back in. I think I will start with changing out the fuse box at the passenger side foot well. I found one on ebay for $45.
Old 02-05-21, 12:14 PM
LSneewb
Driver

Update...a whole 3 months later and I have finally solved the problem that Lexus wanted $3400 to fix and I did it for about $200.

The instrument cluster was the issue. Apparently it had some sort of a short and every time I would disconnect the battery and reconnect it would work fine until the next time I shut off the car after which cluster would remain dead. Only blinkers worked.
I first swapped out the fuse box at passenger side first because the Lexus dealer in Wilmington, DE said out of the cluster or fuse box "Its most probably the fuse box" . Well that didnt work. Checked with @TaninAuto first but they could not repair my cluster and wanted $450 for a used one. (Fyi...None of the online sellers are selling a brand new 2005 instrument cluster anymore-its permanently out of stock). So.... I found a 2004 instrument cluster on ebay which is the same part for my 2005 for $115 shipped and had it reprogrammed to my mileage for another $90. I swapped its scratched up screen with my original cluster screen and presto my LS is back!

So basically if your cluster starts acting up, it probably needs to be changed. I hope this helps someone

Last edited by LSneewb; 02-05-21 at 07:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSneewb:
BigBoomer (02-08-21), Jabberwock (02-05-21)
Old 04-22-22, 01:51 PM
Gula
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update...a whole 3 months later and I have finally solved the problem that Lexus wanted $3400 to fix and I did it for about $200.

The instrument cluster was the issue. Apparently it had some sort of a short and every time I would disconnect the battery and reconnect it would work fine until the next time I shut off the car after which cluster would remain dead. Only blinkers worked.
I first swapped out the fuse box at passenger side first because the Lexus dealer in Wilmington, DE said out of the cluster or fuse box "Its most probably the fuse box" . Well that didnt work. Checked with @TaninAuto first but they could not repair my cluster and wanted $450 for a used one. (Fyi...None of the online sellers are selling a brand new 2005 instrument cluster anymore-its permanently out of stock). So.... I found a 2004 instrument cluster on ebay which is the same part for my 2005 for $115 shipped and had it reprogrammed to my mileage for another $90. I swapped its scratched up screen with my original cluster screen and presto my LS is back!

So basically if your cluster starts acting up, it probably needs to be changed. I hope this helps someone
Do you still have the part number for your 2005? My car is a UAE spec 2005, my multi information display is starting to fade out from left hand corner and the first few letters are disappearing with time (actually looks burning out slowly), I'm trying to find out if I can buy a US spec cluster on ebay and directly swap it out with my current one.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
TUX01LS430 (05-21-22)
Old 04-22-22, 03:17 PM
LSneewb
Driver

Here u go
Old 05-17-22, 11:03 AM
Gula
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here u go
Thanks for the photo. The multi information display is listed as a separate part on several parts suppliers' websites for a whopping $1200. I went ahead and ordered a used cluster, I'm gonna pick it apart when it gets here and maybe do a short write-up if I'm successful in replacing that small display, this way, I can avoid the odo reprogram.🤞
Old 09-23-22, 07:30 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts

Did you solve it? My display just went dark. The car works but the instrument cluster is DARK