LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help on repairing my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 10:40 AM
yuzishi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on repairing my LS430

Hey guys, I just got a 2004 LS430 from a private owner. This is my first car and it drives really well. I liked it so much that I decided to take it to a Toyota dealer for an entire inspection. However, they got some problems and the prework order they gave me seems too expensive. May I ask if you could give me any advice on the following listed problems, on which of them are most important, and on whether the prices are reasonable?

1. Left side marker light ($42): I guess this doesn't matter
2. Left door lock actuator ($481): every time I want to unlock the driver side door, it will repeatedly unlock three times. Other doors will only unlock once.
3. Valve cover gaskets [both tanks] ($461): Toyota dealer told me there are leaks, although only several sips. By the way, may I ask if the leak is normal for an old Lexus? Is this a big thing that will happen from time to time, even after the gaskets are replaced?
4. Front pads & rotors ($405): This is actually a bit confusing for me. Before I bought this car, the previous owner and I went to Car-X auto for a simple inspection. However, CarX gives rate the front pads 10 points.
5. Brake flush ($140): This is also confusing. Car-X said it is good
6. Rear diff flush ($143)
7. Power steering flush ($190): Car-X also said it is good
8. Timing belt, water pump & drive belt ($1064): Car-X said the belts are good. Also, I found the timing belt and water pump are replaced two and a half years ago. The car only run 15k miles after that replacement. May I ask if this is really necessary? I didn't have chance to talk to the mechanic in Toyota dealership. When I gave them my question, they said the mechanic gave this suggestion perhaps because the belt was not replaced properly. I don't know whether I should believe them...
9. Timing belt tensioner, idler, and tensior pulley ($488): Car-X mentioned the belt tensioner is good
10. Tune up ($384): I am not sure what this is.

I would like to mention that the previous owner has a friend in CarX Auto, and he didn't ask me for the inspection fee when doing the inspection. In my view, the previous owner looks honest and nice. But I am still a bit concerned about how reliable Car-X's inspection is.

All of the above will sum over $4k, which is beyond my expectation. May I ask if you have any suggestions on whether I should repair my car as suggested by the Toyota dealership? Which of them should be addressed ASAP?

Thank you for reading all these words. Every response is appreciated!

Old 11-05-20, 11:09 AM
wsupjs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of those sound like repairs they are recommending based on age/mileage and not having records versus truly needing done. How many miles are on your LS?

1. If it needs replaced, should be an easy DIY
2. You can get a remanufactured door lock actuator for under $100 and DIY or pay an indy much less to install it.
3. These cars are known for Valve Cover Gaskets going bad, and also the bolts backing out over time due to motor pieces being made of aluminum. How much is leaking? I'd try checking the bolts to make sure they're tight first, and replace both VCGs if the leak continues after tightening. Mine needed replaced this year.
4. Did they provide a measurement on how much brake pad is left? My Lexus dealer does that every time I get an oil change
5-7. Probably not needed, likely just recommended due to age/mileage
8. This is the example of them not having indy records and recommending services based on age/mileage. Assuming your wasn't driven 75,000+ miles in the last year, you're good for a while
9. Same as above. This should've be done as part of the TB service. Do your records show all of the parts that were included?
10. I would pass without knowing what's included. However, if you do decide to replace the Valve Cover Gaskets, that's a very easy time to also do Spark Plugs and PCV, which might be a good idea depending on your mileage

Net, without knowing your mileage, I'd probably recommend 1, 2, 3, and Spark Plugs/PCV when you do the VCGs. If you do all of those, DIY would cost $200 or less for parts (remanufactured OEM door lock, OEM Spark Plugs, OEM PCV, aftermarket Valve Cover Gaskets, Grommets, and Spark Plug Tube Seals). Labor, if needed, for those at an independent shop would vary greatly depending on your area, but likely book time around 8 hours.
The following users liked this post:
yuzishi (11-08-20)
Old 11-05-20, 11:24 AM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with the above.

The dealership will give you the worst case scenario on all of it. All things considered, isn't that bad (but dealership prices make it sound way worse). I would rather go to an Indy that explains what a little seepage is vs. a valve cover "leaking".

i would have been worried about it needing front suspension work but that seems to be covered.

The timing belt/water pump, if you have the record for that, you should be good for the next 6 or 7 years (depending on the miles).

The below are maintenance items, that doesn't necessarily mean it is imminent failure- just budget over the next 2 years that you will have to do.

Pretty good for the age... you keep up on the maintenance and these are very reliable. l
yuzishi (11-08-20)
Old 11-05-20, 12:09 PM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like a good trip to the stealership. Basically if they have no history of it, they will recommend it.

THE ONLY THING I WOULD WORRY ABOUT IT TIMING BELT. Did previous owner give you a receipt on it?
yuzishi (11-08-20)
Old 11-05-20, 02:29 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by yuzishi
Hey guys, I just got a 2004 LS430 from a private owner. This is my first car and it drives really well. I liked it so much that I decided to take it to a Toyota dealer for an entire inspection. However, they got some problems and the prework order they gave me seems too expensive. May I ask if you could give me any advice on the following listed problems, on which of them are most important, and on whether the prices are reasonable?

1. Left side marker light ($42): I guess this doesn't matter
2. Left door lock actuator ($481): every time I want to unlock the driver side door, it will repeatedly unlock three times. Other doors will only unlock once.
3. Valve cover gaskets [both tanks] ($461): Toyota dealer told me there are leaks, although only several sips. By the way, may I ask if the leak is normal for an old Lexus? Is this a big thing that will happen from time to time, even after the gaskets are replaced?
4. Front pads & rotors ($405): This is actually a bit confusing for me. Before I bought this car, the previous owner and I went to Car-X auto for a simple inspection. However, CarX gives rate the front pads 10 points.
8. Timing belt, water pump & drive belt ($1064): Car-X said the belts are good. Also, I found the timing belt and water pump are replaced two and a half years ago. The car only run 15k miles after that replacement. May I ask if this is really necessary? I didn't have chance to talk to the mechanic in Toyota dealership. When I gave them my question, they said the mechanic gave this suggestion perhaps because the belt was not replaced properly. I don't know whether I should believe them...
9. Timing belt tensioner, idler, and tensior pulley ($488): Car-X mentioned the belt tensioner is good
10. Tune up ($384): I am not sure what this is.

I would like to mention that the previous owner has a friend in CarX Auto, and he didn't ask me for the inspection fee when doing the inspection. In my view, the previous owner looks honest and nice. But I am still a bit concerned about how reliable Car-X's inspection is.

All of the above will sum over $4k, which is beyond my expectation. May I ask if you have any suggestions on whether I should repair my car as suggested by the Toyota dealership? Which of them should be addressed ASAP?

Thank you for reading all these words. Every response is appreciated!
First thing's first....Obtain a Lexus Shop.Manual.
Timing belt, water pump and pulleys. (Timing belt service).When replaced??

1.). Side marker light as in lenses assembly or bulb? If cracked lense, then replace it.. if a bulb, be sure and replace with non-Chinese part.

2.) I belive there is a post on this forum for a low cost alternative...you need someone who understands how(read: has done it on exact same vehicle) to disassemble the door panel without breaking anything.

3.) You should also replace spark plug tube seals and rubber washers on all valve cover bolts...
A suggestion: buy a complete engine gasket kit...MUCH cheaper than buying parts individually....that way you will have everything you need going forward...
Whoever does the work, it is imperative they used compressed air nozzle to blow away every piece of grit to avoid it falling in engine. Then your indy must properly remove clips and wiring harness for access. Read your repair manual.

4.) The rotors have a minimum thickness. Does the dealer provide you with inner and outer rotor thickness figures?? If rumour, then replace rotors....forget about finding anyone anymore to competently turn rotors use OEM rotors and pads.

5.) What color is brake fluid in reservoir? If the fluid has never been replenished, then a solutely do.
Sometimes it is necessary to actuate the antilock brake solenoid. Refer to Lexus shop manual.

6.) Absolutely do. Use best quality synthetic. Use dealer crush washers.

7.) Turkey baster extraction of reservoir and refill....about 10 times Use high quality synthetic

8.) You should clarify the timing belt- tensioner pulleys - waterpump- Timing belt service.
If work performed by the dealer 15,000 Miles ago, then it should appear in their database. In fact, ask them to provide a service history printout. It is a National database.
If timing belt is older than 7 years..then replace it.

9.) How exactly did Car -X survey these parts???

10.) Tune up.is spark plugs, PCV valve, air filter.
Use Ruthenium plugs, use OEM PCV valve and air filter.....replace left and right bank PCV system hoses and clamps.

It would also be a good investment to replace ECT sensor.

Ditch Car X.
yuzishi (11-08-20)
Old 11-07-20, 09:16 AM
yuzishi
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late follow up. Thank you guys so much for all your suggestions. I didn't expect to receive these detailed comments
Old 11-07-20, 09:18 AM
yuzishi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wsupjs
A lot of those sound like repairs they are recommending based on age/mileage and not having records versus truly needing done. How many miles are on your LS?

1. If it needs replaced, should be an easy DIY
2. You can get a remanufactured door lock actuator for under $100 and DIY or pay an indy much less to install it.
3. These cars are known for Valve Cover Gaskets going bad, and also the bolts backing out over time due to motor pieces being made of aluminum. How much is leaking? I'd try checking the bolts to make sure they're tight first, and replace both VCGs if the leak continues after tightening. Mine needed replaced this year.
4. Did they provide a measurement on how much brake pad is left? My Lexus dealer does that every time I get an oil change
5-7. Probably not needed, likely just recommended due to age/mileage
8. This is the example of them not having indy records and recommending services based on age/mileage. Assuming your wasn't driven 75,000+ miles in the last year, you're good for a while
9. Same as above. This should've be done as part of the TB service. Do your records show all of the parts that were included?
10. I would pass without knowing what's included. However, if you do decide to replace the Valve Cover Gaskets, that's a very easy time to also do Spark Plugs and PCV, which might be a good idea depending on your mileage

Net, without knowing your mileage, I'd probably recommend 1, 2, 3, and Spark Plugs/PCV when you do the VCGs. If you do all of those, DIY would cost $200 or less for parts (remanufactured OEM door lock, OEM Spark Plugs, OEM PCV, aftermarket Valve Cover Gaskets, Grommets, and Spark Plug Tube Seals). Labor, if needed, for those at an independent shop would vary greatly depending on your area, but likely book time around 8 hours.

My LS has a mileage of around 105,000 now.

For 1 and 2, I may replace them myself or ask an indy as you advised

For 3, the staff in the Toyota dealership told me there is only very few leaks (a few drops or sips, I didn't hear very clear). I will check the bolts and follow up later.

For 4, Toyota didn't tell me how much the brake pad is left. I only get the info from Car-X that the left front, right front, left rear and right rear got 10, 10, 7, and 7 respectively. However, from my feelings, I do need to brake a bit hard to make it work.

For 5-7, thanks for your advice

For 8-9, the LS is driven 15, 000 miles after the replacement. I guess Toyota doesn't have the records. I didn't ask the previous owner for the record… But from the Carfax it seems two and a half years ago, he replaced the timing belt and water pump in a local auto repair shop. In the same shop, he also had
  • Front strut(s) replaced
  • Rear strut(s)/insert cartridge(s) replaced
  • Shock absorber(s) replaced
  • Strut(s) replaced
  • Antifreeze/coolant ushed/changed
  • Cooling system checked
For 10, thanks, I will consider that

I am not good at mechanics, so I may buy OEM parts and give the work to indy.
Old 11-07-20, 09:20 AM
yuzishi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caesosa
I agree with the above.

The dealership will give you the worst case scenario on all of it. All things considered, isn't that bad (but dealership prices make it sound way worse). I would rather go to an Indy that explains what a little seepage is vs. a valve cover "leaking".

i would have been worried about it needing front suspension work but that seems to be covered.

The timing belt/water pump, if you have the record for that, you should be good for the next 6 or 7 years (depending on the miles).

The below are maintenance items, that doesn't necessarily mean it is imminent failure- just budget over the next 2 years that you will have to do.

Pretty good for the age... you keep up on the maintenance and these are very reliable. l
Thanks! The LS is so comfortable and smooth and just like a new car for me. Like it so much.

I didn't receive information about front suspension from the dealership. I will have indy double check it.

For these flush, do you think the Toyota dealership will provide better quality fluid?
Old 11-07-20, 09:21 AM
yuzishi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Trilkb
Sounds like a good trip to the stealership. Basically if they have no history of it, they will recommend it.

THE ONLY THING I WOULD WORRY ABOUT IT TIMING BELT. Did previous owner give you a receipt on it?
Haha, thanks for letting me know.

The previous owner did have some receipts, but I didn't ask to look at them since at that time I know nothing about a car …
Old 11-07-20, 09:23 AM
yuzishi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
First thing's first....Obtain a Lexus Shop.Manual.
Timing belt, water pump and pulleys. (Timing belt service).When replaced??

1.). Side marker light as in lenses assembly or bulb? If cracked lense, then replace it.. if a bulb, be sure and replace with non-Chinese part.

2.) I belive there is a post on this forum for a low cost alternative...you need someone who understands how(read: has done it on exact same vehicle) to disassemble the door panel without breaking anything.

3.) You should also replace spark plug tube seals and rubber washers on all valve cover bolts...
A suggestion: buy a complete engine gasket kit...MUCH cheaper than buying parts individually....that way you will have everything you need going forward...
Whoever does the work, it is imperative they used compressed air nozzle to blow away every piece of grit to avoid it falling in engine. Then your indy must properly remove clips and wiring harness for access. Read your repair manual.

4.) The rotors have a minimum thickness. Does the dealer provide you with inner and outer rotor thickness figures?? If rumour, then replace rotors....forget about finding anyone anymore to competently turn rotors use OEM rotors and pads.

5.) What color is brake fluid in reservoir? If the fluid has never been replenished, then a solutely do.
Sometimes it is necessary to actuate the antilock brake solenoid. Refer to Lexus shop manual.

6.) Absolutely do. Use best quality synthetic. Use dealer crush washers.

7.) Turkey baster extraction of reservoir and refill....about 10 times Use high quality synthetic

8.) You should clarify the timing belt- tensioner pulleys - waterpump- Timing belt service.
If work performed by the dealer 15,000 Miles ago, then it should appear in their database. In fact, ask them to provide a service history printout. It is a National database.
If timing belt is older than 7 years..then replace it.

9.) How exactly did Car -X survey these parts???

10.) Tune up.is spark plugs, PCV valve, air filter.
Use Ruthenium plugs, use OEM PCV valve and air filter.....replace left and right bank PCV system hoses and clamps.

It would also be a good investment to replace ECT sensor.

Ditch Car X.
Thanks! I will get a Lexus shop manual first.

1). Hmm, I am not sure if that's a lense or bulb.

2-3). Thanks!

4). The dealer doesn't provide more details on rotors or pads. They just told me those need to be replaced.

5). Gotcha, I will check the fluid

6-7). Thanks!

8). The TB service was done in Meineke Car Care Centers. I try to see if they can provide this information to me. It should be just 2.5 years.

9). I am not sure how detail they perform the surveys, but they took 15-20 to check tire, engine, exhaust systems, steering, suspension, and brakes. I kind of think it's too short a survey since the Toyota dealership said they need at least an hour for a check up only.

10). Thanks!

And thank you for the suggestion on ECT sensor!
Old 11-10-20, 09:13 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by yuzishi
Thanks! I will get a Lexus shop manual first.

1). Hmm, I am not sure if that's a lense or bulb.

2-3). Thanks!

4). The dealer doesn't provide more details on rotors or pads. They just told me those need to be replaced.

5). Gotcha, I will check the fluid

6-7). Thanks!

8). The TB service was done in Meineke Car Care Centers. I try to see if they can provide this information to me. It should be just 2.5 years.

9). I am not sure how detail they perform the surveys, but they took 15-20 to check tire, engine, exhaust systems, steering, suspension, and brakes. I kind of think it's too short a survey since the Toyota dealership said they need at least an hour for a check up only.

10). Thanks!

And thank you for the suggestion on ECT sensor!
8.) Meineke muffler shop?
Obtain a copy of the receipt to see what brand parts were used or where purchased and post what you uncover.

9.) The point of asking how did they survey the parts they said they did is because it would require several hours time disassembling the engine to get to those parts...
yuzishi (11-10-20)