LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyway to get ecu to keep CEL's off

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20 | 10:06 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

I think it’s more probable to find a friend/relative that lives in a no inspection state/county that will let you register the car there. I don’t see a easy way around that or everyone would do it (the Germans tried...)
Old 11-18-20 | 01:15 AM
piercejr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Striker223
Wait wait wait, so you just need to plug it in to pass? Then pull the whole engine/trans out and ECU harness and just power it on whenever you need to pass emissions, put the driveline in a truck bed and take it to your inspection place

This is kinda odd since Cali even allows you to put a newer engine in an older car without issues
Let me qualify this. if you put a newer engine iin an older car, it has to be inspected by a California BAR referee. they are really really picky. *ALL* original air pollution control equipment from the newer year car has to be installed and operational. and then you get a BAR cert for your car, and when you have to get it smogged every 2 years, the yuse the donor vehicle's specs for the engine and if its even a bit whack the smog shop will either reject you or want to charge more for a custom rig.

my son had a VW Vangaon Westfalia camper which had a 'Tiico" conversion engine which was a contemporaneous Audi/VW inline 4 2.0L adapted to the Vanagon. This setup supposeldy had a BAR exemption but his particular car had never been inspected. He kept it skating on temporaries and exceptions, then ended up moving to Nevada where they don't care. he sold it years ago.

Last edited by piercejr; 11-18-20 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-18-20 | 06:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by piercejr
Let me qualify this. if you put a newer engine iin an older car, it has to be inspected by a California BAR referee. they are really really picky. *ALL* original air pollution control equipment from the newer year car has to be installed and operational. and then you get a BAR cert for your car, and when you have to get it smogged every 2 years, the yuse the donor vehicle's specs for the engine and if its even a bit whack the smog shop will either reject you or want to charge more for a custom rig.

my son had a VW Vangaon Westfalia camper which had a 'Tiico" conversion engine which was a contemporaneous Audi/VW inline 4 2.0L adapted to the Vanagon. This setup supposeldy had a BAR exemption but his particular car had never been inspected. He kept it skating on temporaries and exceptions, then ended up moving to Nevada where they don't care. he sold it years ago.
$500 bucks to the person running the test makes nearly everything fine. The issue is the systems that report back home like the OP has to deal with