LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyway to get ecu to keep CEL's off

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 12:45 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Anyway to get ecu to keep CEL's off

I am wondering does anyone know of anyway to trick the ecu into making all the cel's stay off. I am checking the realities of doing a LS7 swap while still being able to pass a NY state inspection that requires a OBDII plug in.
Old 11-14-20, 02:54 PM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

So you're expecting them to open the hood and not notice a LS7? If they don't do visual just make the OBD2 connector go to the LS7 ECU.
Old 11-14-20, 04:55 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jharris400
So you're expecting them to open the hood and not notice a LS7? If they don't do visual just make the OBD2 connector go to the LS7 ECU.
It doesn't work like that the cars ecu has to match the vehicle its in because that goes straight to the NY DMV and it will come up with an error on the inspection machine which is linked to the NY DMV and I will fail the inspection. I have shops that will overlook the engine swap the DMV is my issue.
Old 11-14-20, 04:56 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 157 Posts

You can use the LS7 ecm as suggested above and that can be programmed to turn off the cel. Even if you get the ecm sorted out you will still have to deal with the vsc and trac lights on constantly because both of those systems will be rendered useless.
Old 11-14-20, 05:25 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 911LE
You can use the LS7 ecm as suggested above and that can be programmed to turn off the cel. Even if you get the ecm sorted out you will still have to deal with the vsc and trac lights on constantly because both of those systems will be rendered useless.
I have to use the ls430 ecu it cannot anything except the LS430 ecu because it will scan my registration and say lexus but scan a Corvette and I will fail the inspection.
Old 11-14-20, 10:32 PM
911LE
Instructor

Having tuned cars for a living I can tell you that it'll be impossible to get the factory ecm to control anything but the original engine. Toyota ecms are the most difficult to tune as there is no software that can do that. Any tuning done to a stock engine is usually accomplished with a piggyback device that manipulates the data the ecm is seeing to fool it into doing what you want. Any modified Toyota engine is tuned using a standalone ecm, some of which are actually GM LS based.
Old 11-15-20, 12:38 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,241 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
It doesn't work like that the cars ecu has to match the vehicle its in because that goes straight to the NY DMV and it will come up with an error on the inspection machine which is linked to the NY DMV and I will fail the inspection. I have shops that will overlook the engine swap the DMV is my issue.
Wait wait wait, so you just need to plug it in to pass? Then pull the whole engine/trans out and ECU harness and just power it on whenever you need to pass emissions, put the driveline in a truck bed and take it to your inspection place

This is kinda odd since Cali even allows you to put a newer engine in an older car without issues
Old 11-15-20, 06:10 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Striker223
Wait wait wait, so you just need to plug it in to pass? Then pull the whole engine/trans out and ECU harness and just power it on whenever you need to pass emissions, put the driveline in a truck bed and take it to your inspection place

This is kinda odd since Cali even allows you to put a newer engine in an older car without issues
Sorry I was not clear the ecu also has to have all moniters ready and you can only have 1 NA on but everything else in the ecu has to be within its normal parameters any CEL is an automatic failure. So basically I need to trick the ecu into thinking the stock motor and trans are still in the car and all sensors are reading what they are supposed to do.

NY allows engine swaps but the car has to be from 1995-1996 and older. You were talking about the resistors for the ecu and stuff I am thinking this is the only way this is gonna happen. I was gonna do the swap into a 95 sc300 but I really love my LS.

Also the NY state inspection machines have a camera in them that goes straight to the NY state DMV so I would have to have it plug into the oem obdII port. NY has the strictest vehicle laws in the country in my opinion.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 11-15-20 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-15-20, 06:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is getting James Bond, but what if the OBDII connector went to a dummy ECU or some sort of USB stick? I know, that's fraud.

Back in the day (even like 2000 or maybe 2002), in PA, the cars went on a dyno, with a probe in the tailpipe. You could have a SES lamp lit and pass, as long as the tailpipe readings were OK. At some point, they simply began to plug in to 1996+ cars. This means you cannot simply reset the computer, no lights, then drive to an inspection, because the I/M readiness will be no. I know on my wife's GM that's a *****. 700 miles later, the EVAP is not ready. I followed the GM instructions and gave up. I've also followed Nissan's instructions to no avail. It's like drive 6 miles with AC and defrost on, keep it at 4000 rpm (blow 3 red lights while you're at it), then place one hand on your **** and set cruise for 70 mph and drive 10 miles without stopping. It's a real joke better to not ever disconnect your battery!

That is a good question though if there were an engine swap, what standards are then used? I suppose the link to the commonwealth is still going to match up to the year/make/model registered via DMV, but the engine will then be inaccurate.
Old 11-15-20, 06:15 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

To clarify I am doing a texas speed 427 (LS7) with a tr6060 trans it will be controlled by a holley dominator I am using there digital dash, etc. So the holley will control the LS7 and tr6060 the stock lexus ecu just needs to appear that its functioning fine so I can pass an obdII test.

I am well aware that toyota ecu's are almost untenable I have been messing with the LS430 ecu changing stuff but it rewrites back to the stock tune when you shut the car off. Even if I shut all the sesnors off like you do with GM cars and HP runers I will still fail because it will show that the sensors have been turned off.
Old 11-15-20, 06:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry I was not clear the ecu also has to have all moniters ready and you can only have 1 NA on but everything else in the ecu has to be within its normal parameters any CEL is an automatic failure. So basically I need to trick the ecu into thinking the stock motor and trans are still in the car and all sensors are reading what they are supposed to do.

NY allows engine swaps but the car has to be from 1995-1996 and older. You were talking about the resistors for the ecu and stuff I am thinking this is the only way this is gonna happen. I was gonna do the swap into a 95 sc300 but I really love my LS.
I have read about 1 NA being OK, but I've been told no by multiple places in PA. I swear it "is" on the web that you can. But if the people issuing stickers say no, not much I could do. they were nice about it--said no big deal, just wait for it to be ready and come in. For my cars it always seems to be EVAP to be the last category to be ready. Not a huge deal, the Lexus took 70 miles. But my wife's GM almost 800. I am reluctant to disconnect the batteries or replace things close to inspection time.
Old 11-15-20, 06:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

To clarify I am doing a texas speed 427 (LS7) with a tr6060 trans it will be controlled by a holley dominator I am using there digital dash, etc. So the holley will control the LS7 and tr6060 the stock lexus ecu just needs to appear that its functioning fine so I can pass an obdII test.

I am well aware that toyota ecu's are almost untenable I have been messing with the LS430 ecu changing stuff but it rewrites back to the stock tune when you shut the car off. Even if I shut all the sesnors off like you do with GM cars and HP runers I will still fail because it will show that the sensors have been turned off.
I think what you are doing is legit, so I guess I would just see what other people did....
Old 11-15-20, 07:56 AM
911LE
Instructor

I see what you mean now. I still think it'll be extremely difficult because a lot of the monitors are run as soon as the key is turned. You would have to emulate O2 readings, O2 heater circuits, all signals from the evap system, etc. I think your best bet would be to rent yourself a summer vacation home (i.e. a PO box) in a place that doesn't require emissions and register the car there.

As an aside, most states will allow a car to pass emissions with at least one monitor having not been run. I know here in AZ I can pass without the evap monitor having been run. This is great because the most common cel is for a small evap leak that is usually hard to find/fix. The solution here is to fill the gas tank full, reset the cel, drive until there is still a little more than 3/4 of a tank, then go get tested. You can refill the tank but don't let it get below 3/4 full. Toyotas won't run the evap monitor until there is under 3/4 of a tank of fuel. All other monitors will have run and the car will pass.
The following users liked this post:
caesosa (11-15-20)
Old 11-15-20, 08:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 911LE
I see what you mean now. I still think it'll be extremely difficult because a lot of the monitors are run as soon as the key is turned. You would have to emulate O2 readings, O2 heater circuits, all signals from the evap system, etc. I think your best bet would be to rent yourself a summer vacation home (i.e. a PO box) in a place that doesn't require emissions and register the car there.

As an aside, most states will allow a car to pass emissions with at least one monitor having not been run. I know here in AZ I can pass without the evap monitor having been run. This is great because the most common cel is for a small evap leak that is usually hard to find/fix. The solution here is to fill the gas tank full, reset the cel, drive until there is still a little more than 3/4 of a tank, then go get tested. You can refill the tank but don't let it get below 3/4 full. Toyotas won't run the evap monitor until there is under 3/4 of a tank of fuel. All other monitors will have run and the car will pass.
To get technical, you CANNOT pass emissions with any MIL illuminated. Supposedly, you CAN pass when 1 category is not ready. Not ready and faulty are two different things.....not ready doesn't illuminate any warnings, it simply shows that I/M readiness = NO

If the above were not true, one could reset the computer in the parking lot of the inspection station, and pass as long as the light doesn't come back at the time of inspection. In reality, why not go back to measuring at the tailpipe, other than cost...

So what you're describing seems to be to use the 1 not ready is OK, and get tested before the light comes back. My cousin's been doing that on his M5 for years. But he has the additional problem in MASS of I/M needs to be ready--so he has to find that point.
Old 11-15-20, 08:50 AM
911LE
Instructor

When the codes are erased the cel turns off. It only returns after the faulty monitor is run. As long as the only issue is the evap the code won't resurface until the tank is under 3/4. 1/4 tank is plenty of driving to run all the other monitors. Mine were run within 10 minutes of in-town driving. In AZ you can pass without the evap having been run.

Quick Reply: Anyway to get ecu to keep CEL's off