Towing with a UL air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 03:50 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Towing with a UL air suspension

Greetings,
Well been a happy LS pilot for about 60 K miles now, I could not have made a better choice. This forum is and was a great help. Tremendous amount
of knowledge here.
Am considering adding a hitch to the LS, cuz the darn thing has spoiled me. Just returned from a 1400 mile 5 day trip towing my 5 X 8 trailer around 1000 Lbs.
I drove my 4runner, while all the while wishing for my LS. The most I ever tow is 2000 lbs. and typically about half that. I'm certain the powertrain and chassis
will be great. My concern is my pricey air suspension. It's working great, 3 of the 4 were replaced under warranty prior to my ownership. My air suspension is excellent and
one of the many things I love about the car. Air suspension on sport with the 18" wheels makes a big heavy sports car...that leans. It does handle tho.

Any experience with air suspension and towing? I could downsize my fleet by one, that's tempting.
Old 11-25-20, 04:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Just don't, it will suck towing with an LS and ruin the suspension in the rear
Old 11-26-20, 07:38 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

If you aren't into the air suspension because you like to lower the car with the datasystems controller I would convert to conventional springs if you want to tow. What is your tongue weight? What receivers can you get for the LS? Probably class 1 right?
Old 11-26-20, 08:56 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

In Europe the same model was rated to tow 2,700 lbs. The engine and trans in the 4runner is darn near the same powertrain. I've got an 03 4runner with the V-8.
I can adjust tongue weight, I have the boat set up fairly heavy, but that is not a big deal to change. Typically my tongue weight is around 200 lbs. towing my enclosed utility trailer. It's 5 X 8 and weighs 700 lbs. Typical weight towing will be < 1,500 lbs.

4runner has been an excellent rig, I just can't remember the last time I needed 4WD. Not to mention the resale is awesome on them. I just don't need to register and insure three cars.

Again my concern is the air suspension. I do reckon it's no worse than having a couple people in the back seat tho. It's really tempting and my bride is really good with getting a 2 seat roadster for the 2nd car. She absolutely positively HATES the 4runner. She loves the 430 so not a size thing, it's the fact it's a 4wd truck. She is a hot little granny so the roadster is totally appropo.
Would also be great for the receiver hitch bike rack we have. I just added motors to the bikes and will be hauling them around when the weather gets better.

So any actual personal experiences on towing with UL air suspension? My car has no mods, other than a bluetooth adapter. 05 UL with 18's

Thank you.
Old 11-26-20, 11:21 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricklin
In Europe the same model was rated to tow 2,700 lbs. The engine and trans in the 4runner is darn near the same powertrain. I've got an 03 4runner with the V-8.
I can adjust tongue weight, I have the boat set up fairly heavy, but that is not a big deal to change. Typically my tongue weight is around 200 lbs. towing my enclosed utility trailer. It's 5 X 8 and weighs 700 lbs. Typical weight towing will be < 1,500 lbs.

4runner has been an excellent rig, I just can't remember the last time I needed 4WD. Not to mention the resale is awesome on them. I just don't need to register and insure three cars.

Again my concern is the air suspension. I do reckon it's no worse than having a couple people in the back seat tho. It's really tempting and my bride is really good with getting a 2 seat roadster for the 2nd car. She absolutely positively HATES the 4runner. She loves the 430 so not a size thing, it's the fact it's a 4wd truck. She is a hot little granny so the roadster is totally appropo.
Would also be great for the receiver hitch bike rack we have. I just added motors to the bikes and will be hauling them around when the weather gets better.

So any actual personal experiences on towing with UL air suspension? My car has no mods, other than a bluetooth adapter. 05 UL with 18's

Thank you.
In all candor, the LS430 is not a tow vehicle.
Old 11-27-20, 06:56 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Since when have heavy, powerful rear wheel drive sedans been a poor choice for towing?
Watch Ricky and Lucy in The big trailer. The Lexus lacks the tailfins, yet has more horsepower than Ricky's car ever did.
Back in the day big sedans were routinely used for towing.
Old 11-27-20, 07:44 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Since when have heavy, powerful rear wheel drive sedans been a poor choice for towing?
Watch Ricky and Lucy in The big trailer. The Lexus lacks the tailfins, yet has more horsepower than Ricky's car ever did.
Your going to blow up the trans and rear diff its not meant to tow anything. The 4 runner has a 4 speed or a 5 speed Axxxxx trans in it, the LS has the 5 speed and 6 speed Axxxxx in it, the trans are not internally the same, I am referring to the 5 speed as that is the only trans that applies to this. The rear diffs are also completely different as well as the driveshafts.
The car is mechanically not meant to tow anything.
The problematic air suspension will get worn out even quicker when towing due to all the extra weight being put on it.

Also some quick maths 3 full size adults in the rear is like 750 pounds at 250 a person.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 11-27-20 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-27-20, 07:56 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Since they didn't have frames and solid live axles
Old 11-27-20, 08:29 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default Great point

Now that is a great point with regard to the frame. The 4runner is a truck, body on frame, the LS is unibody.
I am not very concerned about powertrain at all, tho I have not looked hard at the trans cooler in the LS.
I will likely do so simply to be able to haul the bikes. I like the idea of using my receiver mt. bike rack on the LS.
I can then try pulling my trailer and see what I think. Can fire up techstream to monitor the trans temp.
Old 11-27-20, 10:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Since you seem to be insisting on doing it anyway set aside $3000 for when you blow be struts and burn out the compressor from it trying to compensate. Also set aside 1.5-2k for replacement rear arms/bushings and diff carrier bushings
Old 11-27-20, 11:45 AM
VWTim
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love all the towing hate here.

2,000# will NOT be an issue. These cars are overbuilt and tanks. Tongue weight will be less that a heavily loaded trunk on a road trip.

Travel in style and just stay on top of maintenance like you normally would.
Old 11-27-20, 12:18 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Your driveshaft will not be able to handle the angle change of the suspension squatting the 4 runner driveshaft is set up so it can adjust for suspension travel the LS430 is literally bolted to the chassis your going to rip the rubber bushings that hold the driveshaft in place. Its going to allow it to flop around and your going to brake your transmission tail or the differential.

The gear ratios in the transmissions are completely different between the two as well as the rear ends, it is not set up for towing.
Old 11-27-20, 12:21 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VWTim
I love all the towing hate here.

2,000# will NOT be an issue. These cars are overbuilt and tanks. Tongue weight will be less that a heavily loaded trunk on a road trip.

Travel in style and just stay on top of maintenance like you normally would.
Maybe its not hate maybe just maybe the three of us have extensive knowledge about cars, we dont want the op to destroy there car and we are trying to save them from having to spend thousands of dollars in fixing it.
Old 11-27-20, 04:22 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

I just don't see suspension damage etc. I shall remind, the car has a tow rating in Canada, the car has a tow rating in Europe. I haven't seen a translated Celcior manual but I'd be VERY surprised if it does not have a tow rating in the home market. In both cases it's above any weight I would ever tow.
The fact that the USA is the most litigious place on the planet is IMO the reason Lexus does not rate the car for towing in the USA.
Big heavy sedans have been being used for towing before many here were born. My only concern is the air suspension. Both my rears were done under warranty prior to my ownership so I have that going for me.
Old 11-27-20, 06:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I just don't see suspension damage etc. I shall remind, the car has a tow rating in Canada, the car has a tow rating in Europe. I haven't seen a translated Celcior manual but I'd be VERY surprised if it does not have a tow rating in the home market. In both cases it's above any weight I would ever tow.
The fact that the USA is the most litigious place on the planet is IMO the reason Lexus does not rate the car for towing in the USA.
Big heavy sedans have been being used for towing before many here were born. My only concern is the air suspension. Both my rears were done under warranty prior to my ownership so I have that going for me.
Oh they are rated, so is a Mini Cooper and Chevy Spark. Right in the manuals

The big sedans of old were boxed frame, live axle, trucks that sat low to the ground with a 440ci and 727 trans. Totally different game.

If you decide you want to do this go ahead but be aware you will be putting way more stress than just filling the trunk a lot like the other poster said. The trailer acts as a weight that fulcrums at the hitch and whips the back end with violence up and down with road changes. Have you noticed your 4 runner gets a jittery and jerk up and down feel whenever you pass over bumps? That's the trailer bouncing and passing the harsh motions directly into the hitch

Go right ahead, pull a Jeep Gladiator and attach a very small trailer and see what happens. (Hint, overlanders put trailers less than 1/4 their tow rating on and snapped frames due to the motion a trailer imparts into the two vehicle I described)

Quick Reply: Towing with a UL air suspension