LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tundra (2UZ) Aftermarket Headers on LS430...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 07:24 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Tundra (2UZ) Aftermarket Headers on LS430...

Curious if anyone has looked into the possibility of '00 - '04 Tundra aftermarket exhaust headers fitting the '01 - '06 Lexus LS430. The reason being I found some JBA headers for the Tundra (2UZ) that look rather promising. They're pretty compact which might fit in the LS430, and the best part, they're 1/3 the price of the PPE headers.

Also, absolute fitment placement for the stock exhaust wouldn't be an issue. A complete one-off exhaust would be going on with the headers. As long as the JBA headers clear the block, firewall, wheel wells, etc, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by ChopsGS; 12-01-20 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 07:35 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

There not going to clear the steering shaft and they will rub on the wire wall try the obx headers there like $600.

Also the headers have 0 effect on exhaust placement you would have to reposition the two small cats and extend the o2 sensor wires.

You also have to remove the steering shaft shield no matter what headers you install.
Old 12-01-20, 07:58 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

That's similar to what someone else just told me elsewhere as far as the steering shaft is concerned. I was also looking at the OBX headers as an alternative. I wonder how good a quality they are. I had an OBX header on my Miata years ago and it seemed okay, but it used thinner wall tubing than the likes of the Racing Beat header which they copied.

As for exhaust fitment, that was what I was referring to. The complete stock exhaust would be removed and all new installed, so alignment to the stock cat location wouldn't be a concern.

Removing the steering shaft shield wouldn't be a huge concern either.
Old 12-01-20, 08:12 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
That's similar to what someone else just told me elsewhere as far as the steering shaft is concerned. I was also looking at the OBX headers as an alternative. I wonder how good a quality they are. I had an OBX header on my Miata years ago and it seemed okay, but it used thinner wall tubing than the likes of the Racing Beat header which they copied.

As for exhaust fitment, that was what I was referring to. The complete stock exhaust would be removed and all new installed, so alignment to the stock cat location wouldn't be a concern.

Removing the steering shaft shield wouldn't be a huge concern either.
I had obx headers on my eclipse for 5 years and they had 0 problems I also drove the car in winter time with no issues as well, so the obx headers should be fine your not doing any crazy racing with them that will heat them up glowing so you should you be good.

I installed my headers at my shop it took 8 hours of me taking my time heating each studd so it they didnt brake etc. The biggest thing to do is tie the steering wheel in place with the seatbelt so your steering wheel will be straight when you go to to put it back together. With headers the car is going to be incredibly loud talking from experience, I have PPE on there with a 2.5" mandrel bent stainless exhaust with an x pipe going out to two mufflers.
The following users liked this post:
ChopsGS (12-03-20)
Old 12-03-20, 09:57 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I installed a set of JBA's on my Tundra back during the summer. While I was doing the install, I wondered about the possibility of those fitting the 3UZ. But, as 05LS tells it, it's a no-go.
The following users liked this post:
ChopsGS (12-03-20)
Old 12-03-20, 04:06 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I had obx headers on my eclipse for 5 years and they had 0 problems I also drove the car in winter time with no issues as well, so the obx headers should be fine your not doing any crazy racing with them that will heat them up glowing so you should you be good.

I installed my headers at my shop it took 8 hours of me taking my time heating each studd so it they didnt brake etc. The biggest thing to do is tie the steering wheel in place with the seatbelt so your steering wheel will be straight when you go to to put it back together. With headers the car is going to be incredibly loud talking from experience, I have PPE on there with a 2.5" mandrel bent stainless exhaust with an x pipe going out to two mufflers.
Yeah, as I said before, I had that OBX header on my '91 Miata and it was fine for the 4 years or so that I had it. So when the time comes, I'll more than likely go with the OBX headers for the LS430.

My mechanic that I've been going to for the past 5 years or so now does a great job, offers excellent rates, does the work in short order, and is a retired Honda master tech of 25 years. He knows his stuff. Everyone says it takes 11 hours or something to do the timing belt/water pump on these cars. He did that, engine temp sensor, oil change, AND installed and dialed in a set of coilover in about 10 hours, all by himself.

When I get in my modified trans valve body and have him install it, I'll ask him about the headers. I bet he'll probably do them in a few hours.
Old 01-02-21, 12:05 PM
PNWLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518

Did you drop the motor at all?
Any tips?
is everything accessible? There's not a good diy to follow like when I did longtubes on my g37