LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Groan/Whine from Engine - 2005 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 02:17 PM
Mevans365
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Groan/Whine from Engine - 2005 LS430

Good evening. I have seen several other posts on this subject, but rarely is the resolution posted. My car started making what I can only describe as a groaning, whining sound from the engine area, which was pronounced in the cabin. The sound was present when idling as well as at speed (more so at lower speeds, but I think the road noise obscured it at higher speeds). I took it in to be repaired and the mechanic determined it was a wheel bearing hub. This did not fix the issue whatsoever. I brought it back in and they determined it was now the power steering pump. That was replaced and the noise remains. They now speculate it is the alternator. Does anyone have any insight on this? I am very frustrated. (I live in Florida, and we have recently had some cold weather, if that is of any relevance). Thank you.
Old 12-18-20, 02:44 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Mevans365
Good evening. I have seen several other posts on this subject, but rarely is the resolution posted. My car started making what I can only describe as a groaning, whining sound from the engine area, which was pronounced in the cabin. The sound was present when idling as well as at speed (more so at lower speeds, but I think the road noise obscured it at higher speeds). I took it in to be repaired and the mechanic determined it was a wheel bearing hub. This did not fix the issue whatsoever. I brought it back in and they determined it was now the power steering pump. That was replaced and the noise remains. They now speculate it is the alternator. Does anyone have any insight on this? I am very frustrated. (I live in Florida, and we have recently had some cold weather, if that is of any relevance). Thank you.
You have a serpentine belt which drives all of the engine accessories, including alternator, A.C. compressor, P.S. pump, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and idler pulley.

First, lose the mechanic.

Big difference between diagnosis of a wheel bearing and an alternator or P.S. pump...

An educated mechanic will remove the serpentine belt to see if noise abates.

You received old parts after repair??

Original Toyota/Lexus parts used?

If noise does not abate when removing serpentine belt, then timing belt components are next on checklist... timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump....all are serviced together.

Spend an hour labor at dealer to pinpoint problem....then with estimate in hand go back to the first mechanic for refund.

If said mechanic did not use Toyota parts and installed aftermarket junk from auto parts store, then you are going to have issues.

Old 12-18-20, 03:14 PM
Mevans365
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps I should clarify. The wheel hub issue evidently was the result of a miscommunication by the front desk reception employee and the actual mechanic. I was told that the hub was exhibiting extreme noise at highway speeds, so if that is in fact the case I am not overly upset as I transport children on the highway regularly. Your comment regarding an hour of dealer service to diagnose is well taken, I will do that. The mechanics reasoning regarding the power steering pump replacement and the subsequent lack of a resolution with respect to the sound was that the alternator and power steering pump are in close proximity to one another, and that when he manually spun the bearings on the belt there was no issue as far as he could ascertain. It feels like they are basically just guessing and replacing parts as part of a process of elimination (at my expense).
Old 12-20-20, 07:44 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Could be several things but I had a similar sound and in my case, it was the alternator. Replaced and once again, quiet as it should be.
Old 12-20-20, 09:44 PM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Water pump?

When I replaced timing belt and water pump (not at dealer), I noticed a slight whine when revving the engine (or more like when it is at speed) after. Not like what you are describing, it is not intrusive, just a change from the total silence before. It either diminished or I do not notice it anymore... but just wondering if it could be a water pump thing, or if it is too loud to be that.
Old 12-29-20, 07:01 AM
Mevans365
Driver School Candidate

Default Apparent Resolution of Issue

So, after taking the vehicle to yet another mechanic, the issue remained unresolved. When I went to retrieve the vehicle from this most recent mechanic, the battery was dead. They jumped the car, and I drove it home (foolishly). I sensed that something wasn't right when I got home, and turned the car off and attempted to restart it several minutes later. The engine would not turn over, but the dash sprang to life, lights worked, etc. I called AAA this morning, and the extremely helpful technician determined the battery was on its last legs. He replaced it with a new one and repaired the connectors (which evidently had been mistreated by prior mechanics), and the car now seems to be running fine, and the whine/groan largely eliminated.
The following users liked this post:
jeremy156 (12-29-20)