LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

69,000 mile LS430 asking $6800

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 08:27 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
Default 69,000 mile LS430 asking $6800

Came across this 2001 LS 430 https://www.uzdcarzfl.com/details/us...s-430/71409577 and wondering what others think. (Looks like the driver's door may have been repainted?)
Old 12-23-20, 09:15 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Accident reported. Poor driver's door repaint. 16" wheels. In my opinion, too much money. 100,000+ mile well maintained example can be purchased in the $3,000 range or less. This dealer sells loads of LS430s. I've seen a few of his cars. Good luck.
Old 12-23-20, 09:55 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Nah, for half that maybe
Old 12-23-20, 07:22 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Almost 20 years old? No thanks. Better examples out there.
Old 12-24-20, 03:02 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Bad paint repair or a junk yard replacement door. Premium money for a 2001 because of super low miles. If perfect price might be fine with that glaringly bad door? No thanks. If anyone does get serious about buying that car, be sure to check BOTH the carfax and lexus owner database history to make sure the miles and dates actually line up and make sense. It is not that hard to alter the odometer on these cars with the right equipment.
Old 12-25-20, 08:52 PM
MrFord
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2001 LS 430

I just bought an 2001 LS 430 with 60k in immaculate condition... well a few minor body flaws. 7600.
One owner, and other than it needing some new Coil overs it is damn sweet.
I think that one is over priced. If it was super clean, maybe.

Old 12-27-20, 10:32 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Tough crowd. Well except for Mr. Ford. Congrats on your new car.

I'd bet that the door came off of a junked car. Any reputable body shop would have blended the door into the rest of the side.

Now for those that think you're going to find one of these in great shape for $3xxx with under 100,000 miles I'd like to see them. No doubt that there are better examples out there but this asking price isn't out of line at all. Do a sanity check and search on Craiglist or any other site for what you can get these days for $3000-$4000 for any car. A nationwide search using AutoTempest looking for 2001-2006 LS430s found 6 cars currently for sale in that price range with mileage at the following: 175K, 195K, 203K, 241K, 195K and 203K.

I think we are at the point where good condition low mileage LS430s are not dropping in value anymore and in many parts of the country have gone up in value...
Old 12-27-20, 11:23 AM
MrFord
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I buy a lot of used cars and am pretty good at finding deals. I won't buy a car with more than 100k on it and I tend to go back to an older model with low miles. I really don't see that LS you are looking at as a good deal, but yeah most everyone was pretty harsh in their responses. Blue Book drops the value of cars pretty drastically with age (regardless of miles). Before I bought my latest LS 430 this is my second one. I saw some with low miles in killer condition, but they were all in the 10k to 15k range. That is why I jumped on this one when it came up. It is old (2001) and lacks some of the luxury features of the later models but given the miles were under 70k just over 7k was not a bad deal. I always pay cash and this is the most I have ever dropped on a car. Anyway good luck in your hunt. These LS 430's are fantastic cars if you like reliability and comfort. Not to mention an engine that put many grannies on the race track!
Old 12-27-20, 03:40 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I can't figure that car out....I saw it listed for a few weeks at that dealer. Then one month or so ago I happened to be browsing my local lexus dealer and that car popped up in their preowned section. I remembered seeing it and matched up the VIN and it was that car. I went back the next day and it was gone from the Lexus dealer website and still listed at that dealer 430SLOwner posted. Strange.
Old 12-28-20, 05:27 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts

Been there before, place is super sketchy and the dude was half in the bag. The car i test drove was shot and should've been sold for parts.
Old 12-28-20, 08:53 AM
gumbyls
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Tough crowd.
Now for those that think you're going to find one of these in great shape for $3xxx with under 100,000 miles I'd like to see them. No doubt that there are better examples out there but this asking price isn't out of line at all. Do a sanity check and search on Craiglist or any other site for what you can get these days for $3000-$4000 for any car. A nationwide search using AutoTempest looking for 2001-2006 LS430s found 6 cars currently for sale in that price range with mileage at the following: 175K, 195K, 203K, 241K, 195K and 203K.
to be fair the post said 100k+ for $3k. Theres one on FB in my area thats been there for months. 200k for $3800.

Low miles is not a priority on these cars. Get higher mileage at a better price and still get a great car. This isn't some Range Rover thats junk at 100k.

If you're trying to find a super low mile 20 year old car, then you're going to pay for rarity and still have maintenance as the timing belt and seals will still be aged..

I've heard they can be found in retirement communities.. they call them condo cars in Florida. Old people park them in garages and use them a few months out of the year.
Old 12-28-20, 09:17 AM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFord
I just bought an 2001 LS 430 with 60k in immaculate condition... well a few minor body flaws. 7600.
One owner, and other than it needing some new Coil overs it is damn sweet.
I think that one is over priced. If it was super clean, maybe.
Congrats on the purchase. I would be concerned about the condition of the rubber and seals on any 20 year old car. The most expensive repairs I've had so far were the camseals and transmission seals. Along with that.. valve cover gaskets, engine mounts, transmission mount, oil/transmission gasket, and some other things. Also if you feel your power steering hose it will probably be really brittle
Old 12-28-20, 10:07 AM
MrFord
Driver School Candidate

Those issue are not apparent. However, the underside of the car is going to need work. SO I will take the opportunity to upgrade the suspension. I won't "VIP" it out, because I have to park it in the driveway or on the street. However, somewhere in-between. I will replace the coil-overs with BC's, the Ball-joints, and the lower control arm bushings. I am putting some 19 inch wheels on it and some high end tires. This car is in such great shape it is perfect for some mods. Any suggestions would be great. None of the issues you mentioned are there. Spent some time looking over the engine with my mechanic. It is possible the power steering may have issues.

And yeah, if there is any car that would be worthy of buying with higher miles it would be this one, but not for me. I look at issues like where was it driven, how was it stored, how many owners, what kind of owner, where the service was done and by who. Looking at the interior you can tell a lot about how a car was cared for. I have a 2003 LS 430 with 180k so I understand your point. It is a tank. Sorry I ramble...
Old 12-28-20, 01:17 PM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFord
Those issue are not apparent. However, the underside of the car is going to need work. SO I will take the opportunity to upgrade the suspension. I won't "VIP" it out, because I have to park it in the driveway or on the street. However, somewhere in-between. I will replace the coil-overs with BC's, the Ball-joints, and the lower control arm bushings. I am putting some 19 inch wheels on it and some high end tires. This car is in such great shape it is perfect for some mods. Any suggestions would be great. None of the issues you mentioned are there. Spent some time looking over the engine with my mechanic. It is possible the power steering may have issues.

And yeah, if there is any car that would be worthy of buying with higher miles it would be this one, but not for me. I look at issues like where was it driven, how was it stored, how many owners, what kind of owner, where the service was done and by who. Looking at the interior you can tell a lot about how a car was cared for. I have a 2003 LS 430 with 180k so I understand your point. It is a tank. Sorry I ramble...
That's good to hear. First thing I'd recommend is the UR 19mm rear sway bar, this makes a significant difference in handling. And Daizen poly steering rack bushings. I'd recommend the IS F or GS F LCA bushings, as some other members have installed here. I'd also recommend the All4swap/Quantum auto ECU. Mostly all I can think of for ride improvements, I have all of these installed and the difference between stock is much better
Old 12-28-20, 01:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by marsmango
That's good to hear. First thing I'd recommend is the UR 19mm rear sway bar, this makes a significant difference in handling. And Daizen poly steering rack bushings. I'd recommend the IS F or GS F LCA bushings, as some other members have installed here. I'd also recommend the All4swap/Quantum auto ECU. Mostly all I can think of for ride improvements, I have all of these installed and the difference between stock is much better
All items mentioned here are GREAT

Quick Reply: 69,000 mile LS430 asking $6800