LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sealed 6 speed saga

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-20, 08:50 AM
Ecohman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sealed 6 speed saga

My car is a 2006. At 250,000 miles it is in excellent condition. All maintenance up to date, everything works, fresh brakes and tires. Recently the radiator developed a leak, and I replaced it with a Denso unit. In the process, a little transmission fluid was lost. After learning about the “sealed” nature of the transmission and lack of the normal tube for checking fluid level, and adding more, I decided to take it and have the fluid replaced at a place with a flushing machine.
I am 60 miles from the nearest Lexus dealership, and had terrible experience with the local Toyota dealer. I ended up taking it to the local Dodge Dealer. They told me all the right stuff about getting the fluid to the correct temp, and I felt good about it. What I expected was all the fluid flushed out, replaced with new. When I got it back, they charged me for 2 quarts of fluid.
Going home I found that after deceleration the transmission would effectively be in neutral for a few seconds, and rev freely until clunking into gear. I took it back. They reported redoing the elaborate level setting procedure. The problem was little changed.
At this point I had learned a little more about the trans. I then jacked it up and drained the pan, and got 1.75 qt. Just under 1.8 Lexus spec. I added 2 quarts through the return from the radiator. The issue may have gotten a little better, but clearly wasn’t well. The next step for me was to change the filter. This time I drained out just over 2 qt, call it 66 ounces. I replaced the filter and noted a very clean pan with very little filings on the pan magnets. I added back about 68 ounces. The problem was not corrected. At this point I ordered a JDM transmission.
After additional pondering I was thinking it might have gotten overfilled. I figured out I could get a baking pan under the car and reach the level drain with my lowered car sitting level on the ground. I drove the car and got it to full operating temperature, pulled in the driveway, shut down the motor, got my bake pan and Allen wrench, reached up around the hot exhaust, removed the level plug, and nothing came out!
Adding fluid through the return line from the radiator is a pain in #&@! To start with the front of the has to be jacked up to allow removal of the front chin shroud, and disconnection of the trans fluid return line from the radiator. I strap the line to the sway bar and stick it up by the fan. I then use the tube from a turkey baster to plug into the tube. Then a funnel gets the arrangement up to the top of the radiator. Pour in a few ounces at of time and watch it slowly drain into the tranny. Sometimes a squeeze with the bulb is needed to break a bubble lock.
After adding another full quart, I buttoned her up, drove around the block getting her up to temp, while noticing now perfect operation. Pulled in the driveway, shut her off, and drained 5 ounces from the level drain. We’ll see if it continues, for now the trans is back to operating in the excellent way these units do.
Old 12-25-20, 09:32 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 696 Likes on 569 Posts

A few things worth mentioning-
If you went to the trouble of removing the pan you should've accessed the fill bolt on the side while underneath. Adding fluid via the trans cooler line is not advisable. In an effort to make the job easier you actually made it harder. Once the fill bolt is removed simply snake some clear plastic tubing down from the engine compartment and attach a funnel. A short hose (plastic tubing) will do the trick if you attach a funnel up top somewhere next to the master cylinder. Pour slowly into the funnel so it does not overflow and spill out at the fill hole.
Also, fluid temp is critical to verify the correct level. Normal "engine" operating temp should get you close but that doesn't necessarily reflect the temp of the fluid in the transmission. Correct trans fluid temp can be monitored with a simple paper clip. Please read, if you haven't already, the procedure copied from the service manual-

"AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
ADJUSTMENT
1. BEFORE TRANSMISSION FILL
_ This transmission requires Toyota Genuine ATF WS.
_ It is necessary to refill the transmission with the correct
amount of fluid.
_ The vehicle must remain level while adjusting fluid level.
2. TRANSMISSION PAN FILL
(a) Remove the two bolts and transmission case cover.
(b) Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.
(c) Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins
to trickle out of the overflow tube.
(d) Reinstall the overflow plug.
3. TRANSMISSION FILL
(a) Fill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid as
listed in the table below.
(b) Reinstall the refill plug to avoid fluid splash.
Performed Repair Fill Amount
Transmission pan and drain plug removal
1.3 liters (1.37 US qts, 1.14 Imp. qts)
Transmission valve body removal 3.9 liters (4.12 US qts, 3.43 Imp. qts)
Torque converter removal 5.3 liters (5.60 US qts, 4.66 Imp. qts)
Entire transmission assembly 5.3 liters (5.60 US qts, 4.66 Imp. qts)
HINT:
If you cannot add the listed amount of fluid, do the following:
(1) Install the refill plug.
(2) Allow the engine to idle with air conditioning OFF.
(3) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate
fluid.
(4) Wait for 30 seconds with the engine idling.
(5) Stop the engine.
(6) Remove the refill plug and add fluid.
(7) Reinstall the refill plug.
4. FLUID CIRCULATION
(a) Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.
(b) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate
the fluid.
5. FLUID TEMPERATURE CHECK
NOTICE:
_ On vehicles equipped with air suspension, perform
step (c) if it necessary to jack up the vehicle while the
engine running.
_ The fluid temperature should be less than 30_C (86_F)
before beginning the fluid temperature check.
(a) With hand-held tester
(1) Connect the hand-held tester to the DLC3.
(2) Select the tester menus: OBD/MOBD, ENGINE,
DATA LIST and A/T.
(3) Check A/T OIL TEMP.
(4) Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature
reaches 46_C (115_F).
(b) Without hand-held tester (Using D shift indicator)
(1) Connect terminals between CG (4) and TC (13) of
the DLC3 using SST (09843-18040).
(2) Move the shift lever back and forth between N and
D every 1.5 seconds for six seconds.
(3) The D shift indicator on the combination meter
comes on for two seconds. This indicates that the
fluid temperature check mode has been started.
(4) The D shift indicator will come on again when the
fluid temperature reaches 46_C (115_F) and will
blink when it exceeds 56_C (130_F).
(5) Allow the engine to idle unit the fluid temperature
reaches 46_C (115_F).

(c) For vehicles with air suspension (Using D shift indicator)
(1) Connect terminals between CG (4), OPA (11) and
TC (13) of the DLC3 using SST (09843-18040).
Terminal OPA is connected to prevent air suspension
height adjustment from occurring when the vehicle
is lifted off the ground with the engine running.
(2) Move the shift lever back and forth between N and
D at 1.5 seconds interval for six seconds.
(3) The D shift indicator on the combination meter
comes on for two seconds. This indicates that the
fluid temperature check mode has been started.
(4) The D shift indicator comes on again when the fluid
temperature reaches 46_C (115_F) and will blink
when it exceeds 56_C (130_F).
(5) Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature
reaches 46_C (115_F).
6. FLUID LEVEL CHECK
NOTICE:
The fluid temperature must be between 46_C (115_F) and
56_C (130_F) to accurately check the fluid level.
(a) Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.
(b) Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube.
_ If fluid does not come out, proceed to step 7
_ If fluid comes out, wait until the over-flow slows to
a trickle and proceed to step 8.
7. TRANSMISSION REFILL
(a) Install the overflow plug.
(b) Stop the engine.
(c) Remove the refill plug.
(d) Add 0.4 liters (0.42 US qts, 0.35 Imp. qts) of fluid.
(e) Allow the engine to idle and wait for 10 seconds.
(f) Proceed to step 6.
8. COMPLETE
(a) Install the overflow plug with a new gasket.
(b) Stop the engine.
(c) Install the refill plug with a new gasket.
(d) Install the transmission case cover with the two bolts.
Torque:
20 Nm (205 kgfcm, 15 ftlbf) for overflow plug
39 Nm (400 kgfcm, 29 ftlbf) for refill plug"
Old 12-25-20, 09:34 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds like you had a rough time of it..
A couple questions for you....

1) What did the Dodge dealership say about the trans being under serviced?
2) How much did the replacement transmission cost and what are your plans for it now?
3) Why wouldn't you have gone back to the dealer after the dealer's second mistake? You paid them for a service they didn't provide, right?
Old 12-26-20, 05:41 AM
Ecohman
Driver

1) The Dodge Dealer said they had did the procedure according to Toyota procedure
2) I found a JDM trans for $700. After I am sure I am good, I will resell it.
3) I did not take it back a third time because they had already proven themselves in competent twice. In the end I learned both the mechanic and service manager had come from the Toyota Dealer where I previously had trouble, (3 attempts at a valve cover gasket).

BTW From other sources I believe the official number for draining the pan is 1.8 quarts. Although, it looks like next time I should get about 3 quarts. In my case, when 66 ounces came out, this was well short of enough to make level. This is with the front of the car elevated for draining, and level at operating temp for level check. The level check, with car level at stabilized operating temp, engine off, was my missing ingredient.

Bradland- What size and length clear plastic tubing?
Old 12-26-20, 09:58 AM
916LS
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Leaking trans pan gasket

I’m in sort of a similar situation. My 04 has a slight leak from the trans pan gasket. I wanna get it fixed but after reading all this I don’t know if I should even mess with it.
Old 12-26-20, 10:35 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 916LS
I’m in sort of a similar situation. My 04 has a slight leak from the trans pan gasket. I wanna get it fixed but after reading all this I don’t know if I should even mess with it.
Get under the car and GENTLY tighten all the pan bolts. Key word being GENTLY. I’m away from my laptop with the service manual so maybe someone else can chime in with the torque spec.
It’s not a gasket in the conventional sense, Toyota applied FIPG at the factory. Tightening the bolts should buy some time but it will eventually need to be fixed unless you want to add fluid a few times a year in a trans with no dipstick...
Old 12-26-20, 10:39 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Ecohman
1) The Dodge Dealer said they had did the procedure according to Toyota procedure
3) I did not take it back a third time because they had already proven themselves in competent twice. In the end I learned both the mechanic and service manager had come from the Toyota Dealer where I previously had trouble, (3 attempts at a valve cover gasket).

BTW From other sources I believe the official number for draining the pan is 1.8 quarts. Although, it looks like next time I should get about 3 quarts. In my case, when 66 ounces came out, this was well short of enough to make level. This is with the front of the car elevated for draining, and level at operating temp for level check. The level check, with car level at stabilized operating temp, engine off, was my missing ingredient.

The fill plug is a 24mm wrench (15/16”) also works so the hole should be approx 5/8” diameter. Find the biggest hose OD that will fit into a 5/8” hole👍
Old 12-26-20, 10:58 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Get under the car and GENTLY tighten all the pan bolts. Key word being GENTLY. I’m away from my laptop with the service manual so maybe someone else can chime in with the torque spec.
It’s not a gasket in the conventional sense, Toyota applied FIPG at the factory. Tightening the bolts should buy some time but it will eventually need to be fixed unless you want to add fluid a few times a year in a trans with no dipstick...
You really should just re-seal it, the FIPG doesn't really have ability to be retqed like an actual gasket.
Old 12-26-20, 07:07 PM
916LS
Driver

Default Transmission Pan Gasket

Man I wish I had searched this forum before ordering parts and fluid. I bought this gasket online from an online site. Here is the part# 35168-60010. Maybe this part was for 01-03.

Sorry for the confusion, what if I drop the pan and refill it with the same amount of fluid and use that gasket I ordered mentioned above? My mechanic said he will do it if I order the parts. All I want is the leak to stop dripping on to my ypipe. Ive read on this forum that there is a drain and fill on the side of transmission.

Old 12-26-20, 09:04 PM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 916LS
Man I wish I had searched this forum before ordering parts and fluid. I bought this gasket online from an online site. Here is the part# 35168-60010. Maybe this part was for 01-03.

Sorry for the confusion, what if I drop the pan and refill it with the same amount of fluid and use that gasket I ordered mentioned above? My mechanic said he will do it if I order the parts. All I want is the leak to stop dripping on to my ypipe. Ive read on this forum that there is a drain and fill on the side of transmission.
The gasket part number is correct for your 2004. FIPG was applied by a robotic arm at the factory with exact precision while the trans was bone dry. You'll be hard-pressed to duplicate those exacting conditions so using the OE gasket is fine. MAke sure your mechanic knows the A761 transmission uses Toyota WS fluid not Type T-IV.
The following users liked this post:
916LS (12-26-20)
Old 12-26-20, 10:53 PM
916LS
Driver

Default Thank you

I really appreciate you responding to my question. Thank you.
Old 12-27-20, 10:44 AM
Ecohman
Driver

In my journey I removed the pan and replaced the gasket and filter. The screws were loose from gasket compression. The gasket came off easily. What I would do now is measure what drained out, add about a cup more than came out and then drain excess after a long test drive to get fluid to operating temp. Make sure you can locate the level plug with Allen wrench hole with car sitting level, and find a suitable baking pan to catch fluid. Engine off. Don’t burn your hand on the exhaust!
Old 12-27-20, 11:17 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

In my journey I removed the pan and replaced the gasket and filter. The screws were loose from gasket compression. The gasket came off easily. What I would do now is measure what drained out, add about a cup more than came out and then drain excess after a long test drive to get fluid to operating temp. Make sure you can locate the level plug with Allen wrench hole with car sitting level, and find a suitable baking pan to catch fluid. Engine off. Don’t burn your hand on the exhaust!
Copied, again, from the Svc Manual-

6. FLUID LEVEL CHECK
NOTICE:
The fluid temperature must be between 46_C (115_F) and
56_C (130_F) to accurately check the fluid level.
(a) Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.
(b) Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube.
_ If fluid does not come out, proceed to step 7
_ If fluid comes out, wait until the over-flow slows to
a trickle and proceed to step 8.
Old 12-28-20, 07:06 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 534 Posts

For adding fluid...

You can't beat the Motive Power Fill. Great investment!
The following users liked this post:
bradland (12-28-20)
Old 12-29-20, 05:38 AM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 182 Posts

Ecohman, please also note that the correct fill level is NOT determined at full normal operating temperature. The fluid temperature must be between 46_C (115_F) and
56_C (130_F) to accurately check the fluid level. The transmission will heat the fluid up to this temperature quickly. Use a temp gun on the pan or use a OBDII scanner to read transmission temperature.

Quick Reply: Sealed 6 speed saga