LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need LS430 to be higher or ground to be lower

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 08:25 PM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts

I agree with JHarris. This is a terribly driveway and it will cause problems for you, friends, and family forever. I'd simply find another house if that's an option. The entryway to my driveway being smooth and gradual with no major curbs was a defining factor for my home purchase. It's up to you to determine how much this means to you.

Old 01-03-21, 05:23 AM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I just moved out place with a driveway like that. Can see the LS is definitely not the first car to scrape there.

In my previous car (ford fairmont) I replaced the worn shocks and fitted new aftermarket 'standard' ride height springs which brought the ride height up enough to clear the drive hump no worries. With 15 years age/wear n tear the original springs had lost about 15mm in height compared to "as new" from factory.

My ls430 cleared it - just! So long as only the driver is in the car, and not too fast. Approaching at an angle did help a little. But entering/leaving in any sort of rush, or absolutely dead straight, or with people in the car and 'scrape'.

A set of new springs, or if you can find them slightly taller riding springs (not sagging from age/wear n tear) with new shocks may give you enough height to clear the drive. I'm sure a spring company could make you a set of slightly taller riding springs if there aren't any readily available on the aftermarket. Perhaps a word with a local suspension shop would be in order as they may well have a trick or two up their sleeves to increase the ride height 15mm or so.

If it is your own property (ie not a unit complex like my previous place), you could have the drive reprofiled (cut down the area that's visibly scraped), with a grinder or surfacer. From a legal standpoint it will depend on what the local laws/authorities say in your area are as to whether they'd allow you to cut into half a foot of the foot path section or not. Here where I live, they wouldn't allow it as it is considered 'public' land. The paperwork and permissions required would take 20 times longer than the job would take to do.

That said, if say around 15mm or so of concrete were miraculously (discreetly) 'vanish' from the top of that footpath section and the drive ramp one day (and it were left neat and tidy no trip hazards), they probably wouldn't care/notice (unless you had fiesty neighbour let them know who did it) that it had been modified. A builder friend is likely to have just the right machine and an 'invisibility cloak' with temporary fencing (aka high vis vest to look authoritative when job is being done)

With that said I don't miss my old driveway one bit. I was always a bit worried about accidentally running someone over when leaving the property. The is a 3 second moment where the nose of the car is pointed to the sky, where you can't see ahead or much to the sides until having crested the drive. It thankfully never happened but it came close one day with an food delivery rider on an ebike.

In a circular advice way, if you can't find a different house, talk with a suspension shop about increasing the ride height. If that is impossible/not easy then grind the concrete down where the scrape marks are. The last option will be better for other cars too.

Last edited by Aus430; 01-03-21 at 05:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aus430:
Rulefollow (01-03-21), sha4000 (01-03-21)
Old 01-04-21, 06:10 AM
infojunky
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to protect your garden hose from being run over with something like this
Amazon Amazon
cable protector or speed bump place where your front wheels are in the picture... might provide clearance over concrete.
The following users liked this post:
HTGuy (01-04-21)
Old 01-04-21, 11:16 AM
Rulefollow
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for these ideas! Will work on all of the above!
Old 01-04-21, 03:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by infojunky
You need to protect your garden hose from being run over with something like this https://www.amazon.com/MYOYAY-Protec...769280&sr=8-47 cable protector or speed bump place where your front wheels are in the picture... might provide clearance over concrete.
This, or a variation of this looks like it might lead to a practical solution. One possible solution would be to install something like the speed bump in the garage and consider it as a ramp. Position them in the garage so they run parallel to the tires and you drive the car so the front wheels are always on the ramp. Depending on the height of the "ramp" it should prevent the car from scraping at the point where the drive changes angles.

If that tis too tricky to drive into the garage and keep it on the ramp, than one could consider pouring concrete on the garage floor to raise the height. That would remove any legal problems as it's your garage.
Old 01-06-21, 05:15 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Rulefollow
Hi Folks,

Seeking some advice--

I am thinking about buying a home, which my wife loves, which is fine in every way, except this: my 2005 LS430 grounds out when going down the steeply sloped driveway. The driveway slopes downward sharply. After I drive over the sidewalk and head down the driveway, the vehicle will go about a yard down the slope, and then it grounds out, making a nasty sound on the underside.

Meanwhile, someone else drove his pick-up truck (with higher clearance) down the sloping driveway, no problem.

So... does anyone have a suggestion? I am hoping to find a solution that will enable me to drive my car down this steep driveway and yet not make the elegant LS430 look ridiculous.

Could I just buy slightly larger wheels and tires? If so, could someone make a suggestion for what size make/model I could try?

Or could I make some change to the driveway itself, you think?

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks so much for your assistance. I am hoping to buy this home, but I don't want to have to sell my car to do so.

Thanks!
How often and how badly does the garage/driveway flood? Is there a problem here...?
Old 01-06-21, 04:16 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Perhaps quick struts could give you the height increase - see this thread.
Old 01-06-21, 06:38 PM
vernz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I filled a shallow 'ditch' from my driveway to the road using a couple of bags of QuikRete from Home Depot. I also helped my son-in-law with the same solution. I am 80 years old--in decent shape but not a weight lifter. From you photos, I could not determine if this would work inside your garage. But if there is a place you could place this concrete, it certainly is a low cost project.
Old 01-06-21, 09:14 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 157 Posts

Just put down a few pavers where the front tires are in the picture. This will lift the front enough so the center of the car will clear the crest.
The following users liked this post:
PERRYinLA (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21, 04:35 AM
Rulefollow
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
How often and how badly does the garage/driveway flood? Is there a problem here...?
Good question. It seems to be dry. Can return after a rainstorm and see. Thanks!
Old 01-07-21, 04:36 AM
Rulefollow
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 911LE
Just put down a few pavers where the front tires are in the picture. This will lift the front enough so the center of the car will clear the crest.
Interesting thought. Will look into it. Thanks!
Old 01-07-21, 04:37 AM
Rulefollow
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vernz
I filled a shallow 'ditch' from my driveway to the road using a couple of bags of QuikRete from Home Depot. I also helped my son-in-law with the same solution.
Thanks. Will look into this. Appreciated.
Old 01-07-21, 04:39 AM
Rulefollow
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Aus430
Perhaps quick struts could give you the height increase - see this thread.
Interesting. I called the Lexus dealership about this suggestion, and they recommended against any attempt to lift the vehicle. They said, amongst other things, that it might make trouble with the way the headlights are aimed.
Old 01-07-21, 07:32 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

This is basically the principle I was trying to say in my post #20. You just need to elevate the garage floor high enough to prevent the scraping. Using pavers is cheap and will let you know how much you need to raise the floor. But you must make place enough pavers from the very entrance of the garage to a length of the car so the floor of the garage remains level. You just need a track that the wheels will drive on. You could even consider a long 2 x12 board. Once you determine that this principle works, you are free to do whatever you want to the garage floor. You could even pour concrete to raise the floor level and you wouldn't have to drive on to two "tracks".
Old 01-07-21, 07:34 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Multiple quote. Sorry about that.

Last edited by jayclapp; 01-07-21 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Inadverent multiple reply

Quick Reply: Need LS430 to be higher or ground to be lower