LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Any good led bulbs for the 3rd brake light for 04 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 04:26 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Any good led bulbs for the 3rd brake light for 04 LS430?

Hey everyone, I want to update/replace my standard incandecent bulb in the 3rd brake light (high mount brake light in the rear windscreen area) with a bright red led bulb to update the look of my 2004 LS430. I think the bulb is a t20 type or otherwise known as a 7440 bulb.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a nice bright high quality led bulb that they have tried or installed that evenly spreads light in the third brake light housing? I dont just want to buy any old junk led bulb from ebay that will be too dim or get too hot and melt any wiring as a lot of car led bulbs do get very hot and some I have tried in the past get much hotter than the standard glass bulb.

Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks!
Old 01-16-21, 06:55 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

I am pretty sure they ship International, I would hit up @Diode Dynamics , I have ran dozens of their LEDs with zero issues.
Old 01-17-21, 07:36 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I tried a direct plug-in LED bulb and it seemed dimmer than the stock incandescent. So I took a couple of flat 62x20mm 5W COB LED panels and affixed them to a 100x25x10mm aluminum heat sink with double sided thermal tape. Then I soldered on a male 7440 plug. This assembly is held in place in the brake light housing with 3M VHB tape. The result is nice and bright, and it fills the width of the brake light housing well.
Old 01-18-21, 08:57 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
Hey everyone, I want to update/replace my standard incandecent bulb in the 3rd brake light (high mount brake light in the rear windscreen area) with a bright red led bulb to update the look of my 2004 LS430. I think the bulb is a t20 type or otherwise known as a 7440 bulb.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a nice bright high quality led bulb that they have tried or installed that evenly spreads light in the third brake light housing? I dont just want to buy any old junk led bulb from ebay that will be too dim or get too hot and melt any wiring as a lot of car led bulbs do get very hot and some I have tried in the past get much hotter than the standard glass bulb.

Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks!
Hi there! We do offer a plug-and-play 3rd brake light bulb for your 430! We also ship internationally. You can check it out here.

-Collin
Old 01-28-21, 02:20 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone and thanks to Colin for the link to the led bulb on the diode dynamics website. It looks very promising! Has anyone bought this particular bulb and tried it out to see how it looks in the 3rd brakelight housing?
Old 01-28-21, 06:38 AM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

None of the LED's mentioned above compare to these...
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...2_2?quantity=1

I have two pairs of amber ones for front and rear turn signals, and they're bright as hell. Best part, they are completely CANBUS compatible. No errors, and no resistors needed. I'll be getting a bunch of these to take care of my tail lights and brake lights. Expensive but worth it.

This is also where I got my yellow fog lights...
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...W_2?quantity=1

I've had nothing but bad luck dealing with Diode Dynamics. Every single LED bulb I purchased from them I returned because they didn't fit, and/or had **** poor light output such as the ones linked above by Diode Dynamics. Nowhere does it mention that that LED is CANBUS, because it's not. And I know for a fact that if you try to replace the third brake light with that LED, it WILL throw an error on your dash saying the bulb is out. Ask me how I know. Not to mention its poor light output.

The only bulbs I bought from them and kept were the HID bulbs for my low beams, and even those were two different color temperatures. I ended up replacing them with quality bulbs also from Headlight Revolution. And they even seem brighter. Definitely whiter and same color temp per side.
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...R_2?quantity=1

Last edited by ChopsGS; 01-28-21 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-29-21, 08:54 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
None of the LED's mentioned above compare to these...
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...2_2?quantity=1

I have two pairs of amber ones for front and rear turn signals, and they're bright as hell. Best part, they are completely CANBUS compatible. No errors, and no resistors needed. I'll be getting a bunch of these to take care of my tail lights and brake lights. Expensive but worth it.

This is also where I got my yellow fog lights...
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...W_2?quantity=1

I've had nothing but bad luck dealing with Diode Dynamics. Every single LED bulb I purchased from them I returned because they didn't fit, and/or had **** poor light output such as the ones linked above by Diode Dynamics. Nowhere does it mention that that LED is CANBUS, because it's not. And I know for a fact that if you try to replace the third brake light with that LED, it WILL throw an error on your dash saying the bulb is out. Ask me how I know. Not to mention its poor light output.

The only bulbs I bought from them and kept were the HID bulbs for my low beams, and even those were two different color temperatures. I ended up replacing them with quality bulbs also from Headlight Revolution. And they even seem brighter. Definitely whiter and same color temp per side.
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...R_2?quantity=1
We are very sorry to hear about this! Please email our service department regarding these issues so we can document this and investigate further. We always want to make sure that our customers are completely satisfied, so we would like to refund or replace any product that you still have that may not be compatible with your vehicle.

-Collin
Old 01-30-21, 08:56 AM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
We are very sorry to hear about this! Please email our service department regarding these issues so we can document this and investigate further. We always want to make sure that our customers are completely satisfied, so we would like to refund or replace any product that you still have that may not be compatible with your vehicle.

-Collin
Already been done. And as far as I'm aware of (due to instant drop of communication), no attempts to resolving said issues.

I resolved the issue by going with a different company that delivers with quality products that perform just as they are described.
Old 01-30-21, 09:12 AM
kos
Advanced

I've spent over $1k with Diode Dynamics, and everything has worked as advertised, excellent quality, and performs just as they are described.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (02-01-21)
Old 01-30-21, 09:16 AM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by kos
I've spent over $1k with Diode Dynamics, and everything has worked as advertised, excellent quality, and performs just as they are described.
Yeah, I'm just making it all up...
Old 01-30-21, 10:06 AM
kos
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
Yeah, I'm just making it all up...
Never said you were , just offering another opinion from a customer.

Old 01-30-21, 10:16 AM
kos
Advanced

...doublepost...

Old 02-02-21, 09:19 AM
VWTim
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure how the bulb error circuit reacts to LED's in these cars, but I've had really good luck with Auxito brand LED bulbs from Amazon in my Tundra and a couple in my work Ford.