LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The BIG stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21 | 09:30 AM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
Yup. It isn't for sale.
did i try to buy it lol? I actually thought about putting a 8w7 up there with a box built under it
Old 01-28-21 | 08:55 AM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by Squirrel1
did i try to buy it lol? I actually thought about putting a 8w7 up there with a box built under it
Haha... Just in case you were. LOL

Someone did an install of an 8w7 in the rear deck, free air. I was actually thinking about getting one, but the stereo isn't as big a deal for me these days (all that extra $$$ goes into my home system) as it was year ago, so decided on the Dayton Ultimax instead. Still a hell of a beefy sub and should do the job quite nicely. Of course, now I can't find the pic of that JL install on Google. Go figure.
Old 01-28-21 | 09:24 AM
science
Driver School Candidate

The following 2 users liked this post by science:
edl415 (05-20-21), Romanova (01-28-21)
Old 01-28-21 | 09:35 AM
science
Driver School Candidate

Here ya go. I did the same thing....wanted a backup cam. Installed a regular screen and couldn't live with the glare due to my light interior color.

Components:
1. Kenwood DDX8906s DVD tilt
2. cheap $7 raw driver 6.5 front door
3. JL xd700.5 -> Hertz crossover -> front door and oem tweeter->oem rear doors->oem sub
4. Rockford Prime 500 2ch -> 12 shallow mount Pioneer that I had laying around.

Amps were gained with o-scope. I had to run speaker wires from HU and utilized all factory speaker wiring. I used DIN Rail terminal blocks and breakers. The terminal blocks are plug-on and makes configuration and routing changes very easy. This is my 3rd iteration of my system...this final one I was able to power the oem sub and shallow mount. I also had a Infinity 10'' perfect in their before settling on the shallow mount. The cheap o 6.5 actually sound pretty clean. I still have a set of Hertz tweeters that I plan to put under the existing tweeter grill, but I have zero time currently to run new wires to them.

This is mainly a SQ setup. I had planned to run my Rockford DSP but I don't think its necassary at the moment. I have a set of Dayton 3.5'' raw drivers that I love in my current Truck. Still trying to find a way to install them on the dash.
The following users liked this post:
Squirrel1 (01-28-21)
Old 01-28-21 | 09:40 AM
science
Driver School Candidate

I also added a pocket where the cd changer was. It was a simple bolt-on to the BS kit. $10 on amazon. I routed my usb cables in there. Front cover as you can see is fully functional.
Old 01-28-21 | 11:13 AM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
Haha... Just in case you were. LOL

Someone did an install of an 8w7 in the rear deck, free air. I was actually thinking about getting one, but the stereo isn't as big a deal for me these days (all that extra $$$ goes into my home system) as it was year ago, so decided on the Dayton Ultimax instead. Still a hell of a beefy sub and should do the job quite nicely. Of course, now I can't find the pic of that JL install on Google. Go figure.
damn thats interesting i wonder what it sounded like
Old 02-02-21 | 06:01 PM
Squirrel1
Rookie

I have bought a head unit. Kenwood ddx9705s used off ebay its the same exact head unit i have in my tahoe so i figure it will be easy for me to test. 7" cd reciever with tilt screen and wireless android auto. I wanted the tilt because its kind of a low spot these mount in and i didnt want a bad viewing angle. Plus im too old to give up cd's!
Old 02-16-21 | 07:06 PM
Squirrel1
Rookie

More parts coming in
Old 02-16-21 | 07:07 PM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Feel the bass!!!
Old 03-17-21 | 08:26 PM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Couldnt find a distribution block like i wanted so i started making one

Old 04-30-21 | 03:10 PM
Squirrel1
Rookie

A little more progress. Ended up with a 500 watt mono, a 300/4 and 300/2 amps. Just finished making my power distribution block today
Old 05-08-21 | 08:27 AM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Still goin, bought a jl audio 10w3 im going to mount it so that its facing up under the rear deck firing under the hole for the factory 8" sub in a sealed box. Amp rack with all the electeonics will be under that and i plan on a cover for the whole thing so that when you look in the trunk all you will see is a false wall.
Old 05-08-21 | 10:00 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Squirrel1
Still goin, bought a jl audio 10w3 im going to mount it so that its facing up under the rear deck firing under the hole for the factory 8" sub in a sealed box. Amp rack with all the electeonics will be under that and i plan on a cover for the whole thing so that when you look in the trunk all you will see is a false wall.
Keep us posted as to how you're going to build that.

"I'll build a box under the factory rear deck hole" has been my go-to-but-never-attempted-nor-achieved subwoofer pipe dream.
The amount of reinforcement I'd wager is involved to make the rear deck not rattle will be a feat.
My 10W3v3 is running at a measly 300W (2 Ohms) in a JL HO box sitting right under the rear deck and the rattle can be pretty atrocious.
Old 05-09-21 | 12:19 PM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Originally Posted by WILLYumD
Keep us posted as to how you're going to build that.

"I'll build a box under the factory rear deck hole" has been my go-to-but-never-attempted-nor-achieved subwoofer pipe dream.
The amount of reinforcement I'd wager is involved to make the rear deck not rattle will be a feat.
My 10W3v3 is running at a measly 300W (2 Ohms) in a JL HO box sitting right under the rear deck and the rattle can be pretty atrocious.
a friend of mine thats done a lot of builds says i will want to wedge something like a thick yoga mat firmly between the rear deck and the box
Old 05-14-21 | 06:34 PM
Squirrel1
Rookie

For your viewing pleasure i present the circuit breaker i've been dicking around with for a week. There is a nutcert holding down the left side the double sided foam is just for cushion

Last edited by Squirrel1; 05-16-21 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pmesfun (05-15-21)

Quick Reply: The BIG stereo install