LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The BIG stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 06:29 AM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The BIG stereo install

I'm getting ready to do a full stereo install on my 2004 non nav model. I looked 6 months for a low miles non nav so i could have a modern double din. Thought i might document it here if anyone is interested. It all started because i wanted a backup camera. Well that led me down the worm hole, you know how it goes. Anyway i'll post lots of pics and talk about my ups and downs as i go, list part numbers etc. Here is my ride 2004 ls430 base model 120k miles

The following 2 users liked this post by Squirrel1:
ChopsGS (01-26-21), Jabberwock (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 07:32 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

I did the double din on my non nav/non ML 06. It's a tedious process to remove everything so make sure you go slowly and take your time and DON'T FORCE ANYTHING! If I could do it all over again, I'd probably run a small amplifier to run the speakers so I'd have more control over dialing things in. Even still, it sounds a heck of a lot better and having Android Auto is awesome. Looking forward to your updates.
The following users liked this post:
Squirrel1 (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 07:52 AM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Romanova
I did the double din on my non nav/non ML 06. It's a tedious process to remove everything so make sure you go slowly and take your time and DON'T FORCE ANYTHING! If I could do it all over again, I'd probably run a small amplifier to run the speakers so I'd have more control over dialing things in. Even still, it sounds a heck of a lot better and having Android Auto is awesome. Looking forward to your updates.
i saw how much beatsonic wanted for their wiring harness and i was like nope i already have on jl amp i'll just get another and bypass the whole b.s. system. If this thing last me another 200k miles like it should it will be worth the effort and money.
Old 01-26-21, 09:08 AM
Romanova
Racer

I am running the Beat Sonic kit and I love it, even with the expensive price. The fit and finish for mounting the headunit is OEM-spec, so I at least recommend their mounting kit as opposed to any other kit on the market (Metra?).

I'm sure you've seen this thread, but just in case... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ll-w-pics.html
I tried to reach out to that user a few years ago but sadly he hasn't been active in a long time. Still, some good info on his post.

To power the backup camera, you can tap into the junction block in the trunk of the car for power to the reverse lights. I have that PDF with the info around here somewhere if you need it. Also, if you're going to use wired Android Auto or Car Play, remember that a QUALITY cable is the key to it running correctly. I banged my head against the wall for awhile until I tried another cable and it works perfectly most of the time. It still has a few quirks but good enough.

A few shots from my install to motivate you;

Boomin (03-20-21)
Old 01-26-21, 09:31 AM
Squirrel1
Rookie

I am running the Beat Sonic kit and I love it, even with the expensive price. The fit and finish for mounting the headunit is OEM-spec, so I at least recommend their mounting kit as opposed to any other kit on the market (Metra?).

I'm sure you've seen this thread, but just in case... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ll-w-pics.html
I tried to reach out to that user a few years ago but sadly he hasn't been active in a long time. Still, some good info on his post.

To power the backup camera, you can tap into the junction block in the trunk of the car for power to the reverse lights. I have that PDF with the info around here somewhere if you need it. Also, if you're going to use wired Android Auto or Car Play, remember that a QUALITY cable is the key to it running correctly. I banged my head against the wall for awhile until I tried another cable and it works perfectly most of the time. It still has a few quirks but good enough.

A few shots from my install to motivate you;

looks great but what drives me crazy is that the beatsonic doesn't have the hole behind the tape deck cover. How dumb is that
Old 01-26-21, 10:48 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

This should be good! I need to replace at least one door speaker, maybe more (though my sub is weirdly fine), so will see how crazy this gets before I decide what to do..!
good luck!
Old 01-26-21, 10:54 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by Ellesse
This should be good! I need to replace at least one door speaker, maybe more (though my sub is weirdly fine), so will see how crazy this gets before I decide what to do..!
good luck!
Not to hijack the thread, but for my whole system I think I was about $800 total? HU, install kit, new sub, camera, cell phone mount, and all four door speakers. Pretty reasonable for all the modern functionality it adds to the vehicle.
Old 01-26-21, 11:15 AM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Not to hijack the thread, but for my whole system I think I was about $800 total? HU, install kit, new sub, camera, cell phone mount, and all four door speakers. Pretty reasonable for all the modern functionality it adds to the vehicle.
I'm buying as much used as I can. So far I have 3 jl audio amps. slash 500/1 and two 300/2's for a total of $260 and one needs to be repaired lol. Luckily I have a lots of what I will need left over from a previous install on my 2 door tahoe. I'm going to 3d print my own fuse holders too. I don't even want to think what it would cost to do what I'm doing with all new parts and a professional install. Probably cost about what the cars worth
ChopsGS (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 03:05 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Metra kit. Fit and finish is perfect, color match is perfect with the stock center stack, and I think it looks better than Beat Sonic The Beat Sonic looks goofy with that thin, pointy lip around it and its glossy finish, which the stock plastics are not glossy.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChopsGS:
lorenr (02-05-21), Squirrel1 (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 03:46 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by Squirrel1
I'm buying as much used as I can. So far I have 3 jl audio amps. slash 500/1 and two 300/2's for a total of $260 and one needs to be repaired lol. Luckily I have a lots of what I will need left over from a previous install on my 2 door tahoe. I'm going to 3d print my own fuse holders too. I don't even want to think what it would cost to do what I'm doing with all new parts and a professional install. Probably cost about what the cars worth
I had those JL amps. They're great amps.

This is what I have, still waiting to get installed. I keep doing other things instead all the time. LOL

8" Dayton Ultimax sub
6" Morel mid-bass
1" Audison tweeters
Helix DSP.2
Rockford Power T400x4ad
Rockford Power T500x1br (not shown)

The following 3 users liked this post by ChopsGS:
ARCHIVES (01-29-21), Jabberwock (01-26-21), Squirrel1 (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 04:46 PM
Squirrel1
Rookie

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
I had those JL amps. They're great amps.

This is what I have, still waiting to get installed. I keep doing other things instead all the time. LOL

8" Dayton Ultimax sub
6" Morel mid-bass
1" Audison tweeters
Helix DSP.2
Rockford Power T400x4ad
Rockford Power T500x1br (not shown)

i used to have the older version of the power amps 500.1 and 400.4 they were great. Got stolen or im sure i would still be using them
ChopsGS (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 07:49 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Metra kit. Fit and finish is perfect, color match is perfect with the stock center stack, and I think it looks better than Beat Sonic The Beat Sonic looks goofy with that thin, pointy lip around it and its glossy finish, which the stock plastics are not glossy.

That one looks great! I was going off this example that a user here posted a few years back. Perhaps they didn't get it fitted correctly because as you can tell, it's not quite as tight as what you posted.
Old 01-27-21, 06:05 AM
ChopsGS
Driver

Yeah, that one looks like a shoddy install. Probably forced it and broke something.
Old 01-27-21, 07:11 AM
Squirrel1
Rookie

do you intend to put that 8 in the rear deck?
Old 01-27-21, 09:17 AM
ChopsGS
Driver

Yup. It isn't for sale.

Quick Reply: The BIG stereo install