LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005-newbie questions about loading map-dvd and map dvd rnot deteced when nserted

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 08:33 AM
calipuppy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005-newbie questions about loading map-dvd and map dvd rnot deteced when nserted

Just got a 2005 es330.
My questions are( please read the longer version of the question below before answering.

1. where is the correct slot for the map DVD? ( behind the screen or somewhere else?(yes,I found the one behind the screen, but see no. 1 below)
2. map DVD not detected after inserting disc?.
3. understanding what map DVD versions are acceptable

Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place.

1- Is the slot behind the screen the proper place to insert the map DVD? I read about some cars with the reader in the trunk or under the seat, but since this one has a slot labeled DVD map behind the screen, I did not go hunting for a reader elsewhere.
Since I have a unit with a clearly labeled map DVD slot behind the screen, can I assume that is the correct place to insert the map disc or o I need to look for a reader elsewhere too? It is because of question 2 below that I wondered if there was a different place I should be inserting the disc

2- I inserted the disc that came with the car. Before I inserted the disc, the screen said Insert map disc. I inserted the disc and it said the same thing, but gave no error message specifically. The green led to the left of the slot blinked happily after I inserted it leading me to believe that it was accessing the disc. Then the LED went out and the Insert DVD message came back. (perhaps it never left) Sincer I got the same message after inserting the disc, (Insert map DVD.) I am guessing that either the disc is bad or the reader is the problem. How do I tell? Do I have to buy a new disc and see if it works to tell? or is there another way? Will I get this message if I use a disc that is either too old or too new?
So technically the unit detected that the disc was inserted because the led was blinking, correct? but it apparently just couldn't read it.

There were two old map DVDs in the car when I bought it, and it fails the same way with both of them. Are there only certain versions of the map dvds that the reader can understand? and what would those be?

Please give this newbie some advice.

Thank you.

Cali in NC

them objective case of they More (Definitions, Synonyms, Translation)
Old 02-10-21, 10:41 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by calipuppy
Just got a 2005 es330.
My questions are( please read the longer version of the question below before answering.

1. where is the correct slot for the map DVD? ( behind the screen or somewhere else?(yes,I found the one behind the screen, but see no. 1 below)
2. map DVD not detected after inserting disc?.
3. understanding what map DVD versions are acceptable

Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place.

1- Is the slot behind the screen the proper place to insert the map DVD? I read about some cars with the reader in the trunk or under the seat, but since this one has a slot labeled DVD map behind the screen, I did not go hunting for a reader elsewhere.
Since I have a unit with a clearly labeled map DVD slot behind the screen, can I assume that is the correct place to insert the map disc or o I need to look for a reader elsewhere too? It is because of question 2 below that I wondered if there was a different place I should be inserting the disc

2- I inserted the disc that came with the car. Before I inserted the disc, the screen said Insert map disc. I inserted the disc and it said the same thing, but gave no error message specifically. The green led to the left of the slot blinked happily after I inserted it leading me to believe that it was accessing the disc. Then the LED went out and the Insert DVD message came back. (perhaps it never left) Sincer I got the same message after inserting the disc, (Insert map DVD.) I am guessing that either the disc is bad or the reader is the problem. How do I tell? Do I have to buy a new disc and see if it works to tell? or is there another way? Will I get this message if I use a disc that is either too old or too new?
So technically the unit detected that the disc was inserted because the led was blinking, correct? but it apparently just couldn't read it.

There were two old map DVDs in the car when I bought it, and it fails the same way with both of them. Are there only certain versions of the map dvds that the reader can understand? and what would those be?

Please give this newbie some advice.

Thank you.

Cali in NC

them objective case of they More (Definitions, Synonyms, Translation)
Hey Cali.
(You are in the LS430 forum.) Yes the slot for it is behind the display.
maybe this manual will be of help: https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM33661U.pdf
(https://drivers.lexus.com may be a good resource for many Lexus owners)