LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wookiee sound from engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 04:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by jt3212
It is a 2004. Thanks for that sheet, according to that it definitely seems like I'm looking at a new compressor. BUT while we're talking about it, is there any reason to replace the compressor before it totally dies? Aside from the noise it seems to be working fine.
Only replace the clutch, do not replace the original compressor if you can help it. Nothing you buy will work as well as it does
Old 03-12-21, 07:20 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

It is a 2004. Thanks for that sheet, according to that it definitely seems like I'm looking at a new compressor. BUT while we're talking about it, is there any reason to replace the compressor before it totally dies? Aside from the noise it seems to be working fine.
I don't think so. But, do you know a good indy mechanic or good AC guy who may be willing to take a listen and not BS you...?
Old 03-12-21, 09:48 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

My air suspension (not AC) compressor makes a vaguely similar noise upon a cold start and if you have air suspension, I think it's normal. If you don't have air suspension, then follow advice above to isolate the noise. I would start with what LexRex said above.

Random thought, maybe check your AC refrigerant using a high pressure gauge kit, or at least check for correct bubble activity in the sight glass, in order to ensure that your refrigerant levels are good. Both too little and too much refrigerant can cause some strange noises in the system.
The following users liked this post:
LexRex (03-13-21)
Old 03-13-21, 09:37 AM
jt3212
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
I don't think so. But, do you know a good indy mechanic or good AC guy who may be willing to take a listen and not BS you...?
I do! All of this allows me to point him in the right direction so I'm sure he'll let me know.

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
My air suspension (not AC) compressor makes a vaguely similar noise upon a cold start and if you have air suspension, I think it's normal. If you don't have air suspension, then follow advice above to isolate the noise. I would start with what LexRex said above.

Random thought, maybe check your AC refrigerant using a high pressure gauge kit, or at least check for correct bubble activity in the sight glass, in order to ensure that your refrigerant levels are good. Both too little and too much refrigerant can cause some strange noises in the system.
That's a good thought too!
Old 03-13-21, 10:15 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

[QUOTE=jt3212;11012188]I do! All of this allows me to point him in the right direction so I'm sure he'll let me know.

Personally, have found it better to; learn everything one can about the possible cause of an issue (like you are); then take to trusted indy and keep quiet allowing trusted indy to
use his own experience and expertise to diagnose without bias of being pointed in any direction. Even if/when 99% sure thinking must be this or that. Indy knows me, likely knows I've researched it before bringing it to him. Appreciates me not telling him how to do his job. And, has saved money, especially when indy finds minor or no real issue to what research may have indicated as possibly quite serious.
However, if I know of something that may generate a symptom which may appear to be a possible issue to the indy but may be a symptom due to an idiosyncrasy of a particular model vehicle, will let the indy know, after indy mentions it, that have learned about an idiosyncrasy for that particular model which generates such a symptom, which he does appreciate.
Not trying to coach anyone. Just sharing my experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by 430SLOwner:
jt3212 (03-14-21), LS430inDE. (03-14-21)
Old 03-13-21, 07:45 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Hi all, I've searched high and low for an answer as to what this sound it but maybe one of you can say whether it's normal or if something needs attention.

Basically intermittently I will hear what I can best describe as a "Wookiee" sound. It is typically brief but comes and goes, doesn't seem to matter if engine is cold or warm. If I rev the engine during the sound it does seem to go away, but it's tough to say for sure. I was thinking a pulley/bearing but based on how it comes and goes I'm not confident in that.

I keep trying to catch a video of it but like all good noises it doesn't want to cooperate. I managed to catch a quick bit of it in this video, the noise is at the 6 second mark and lasts about a second or so. Any help is appreciated!

Noise from engine

If you determine it is your AC Compressor clutch bearing....

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...lutch-p-n.html

The following users liked this post:
jt3212 (03-14-21)