LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fixing a Broken Radiator Overflow Nipple

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 06:29 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fixing a Broken Radiator Overflow Nipple

OK, I just completed my TB and WP service and like an idiot I thought I needed to remove the overflow hose from the radiator (you do not, it comes out in one assembly with radiators and the fans) and when doing so I broke it off the radiator (don't do this). After much deliberation and research, I decided instead of throwing away an otherwise serviceable radiator, I decided to repair it with High Temp epoxy. See pics of the process I took, hope this helps someone else in this situation. I will report back over time if it hold up

The following 3 users liked this post by Viper6:
BigBoomer (03-23-21), Jabberwock (03-24-21), marsmango (03-22-21)
Old 03-23-21, 09:31 AM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting solution and maybe worth the effort. If me I would use a loan-a-tool program from local auto parts store and do an o overnight pressure test to confirm the repair. As some plastics don't do well with expoxy. The overflow nipple also failed on my 2004 LS430. Apparently the typical fail point on these radiators.

Better to discover the weak spot in your garage rather than on a road trip. If it holds great! If not, replacing the radiator is cake compared to the TB and WP.l work you did. Also I used a Denso from Rockauto with the tow package option and a larger capacity that has been perfect for 5+ years. It was also less expensive than non-towing version, oddly. Couldn't justify paying about 3 times as much for dealer OE part so went with quality aftermarket. Others would only use OE, to each his own.
Old 03-23-21, 11:27 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

WOW. That is how you repair something. Impressive.
Old 03-24-21, 11:16 AM
infojunky
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You may want to see if you can find a thin wall tube with an OD to match the ID and sleeve it for added strength.
Old 03-24-21, 03:20 PM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Could this work on a power steering reservoir? I already replaced the return line hose/vane pump o-ring, but it still leaks occasionally, so there could be a hairline crack in the reservoir
Old 03-29-21, 05:56 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

I'm not sure, although that is a relatively inexpensive part you may just want to go with new replacement?
Old 03-29-21, 05:58 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by infojunky
You may want to see if you can find a thin wall tube with an OD to match the ID and sleeve it for added strength.
Good idea, but with the a couple of coats of the product it has already brought the OD to max size and still use the original overflow tank hose, we'll see if it holds.
Old 03-29-21, 06:10 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Galco
Interesting solution and maybe worth the effort. If me I would use a loan-a-tool program from local auto parts store and do an o overnight pressure test to confirm the repair. As some plastics don't do well with expoxy. The overflow nipple also failed on my 2004 LS430. Apparently the typical fail point on these radiators.

Better to discover the weak spot in your garage rather than on a road trip. If it holds great! If not, replacing the radiator is cake compared to the TB and WP.l work you did. Also I used a Denso from Rockauto with the tow package option and a larger capacity that has been perfect for 5+ years. It was also less expensive than non-towing version, oddly. Couldn't justify paying about 3 times as much for dealer OE part so went with quality aftermarket. Others would only use OE, to each his own.
Pressure test is a great idea, but I am under the impression this is a non-stressed part or I wouldn't have attempted this. Meaning that although it is connected to the radiator water tank, when there is over-pressure in the radiator the plunger in the cap retracts and exposes this overflow opening and allows fluid to flow into the overflow resevoir, and vice versa if there is a vacuum in the radiator it draws fluid from the resevoir. SO, it is merely a non-stressed conduit... but anyone can correct me if i'm off-base. I used the safety wire to ensure the hose stays put as I added diameter with the epoxy repair. I ran epoxy all around the neck of the radiator to serve as collar of product to help with integrity of the repair versus just around the broken part only.

Honestly, it was a fun C19 challenge... realizing now form your post that a good quality radiator is maybe $100 shipped, it would have been less expensive to replace after factoring the value of my time... but this is more fun (queue MacGuyver theme song!) and keeps some junk out of the landfill at least!

V6
The following users liked this post:
infojunky (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 06:17 AM
infojunky
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
Good idea, but with the a couple of coats of the product it has already brought the OD to max size and still use the original overflow tank hose, we'll see if it holds.
I meant to sleeve the inside of the nipple with a thin wall tube.