LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Reset For Newly Installed Parking Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 04:42 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Reset For Newly Installed Parking Sensor?

OK, Clublexus, I read 9 threads including different models and nobody addressed this, so here I go:

I just had a brand new parking sensor put in, Toyota-badged OEM product, work done by a highly reputable body shop. The same problem persists. I knew it was a possibility sadly, but the body shop said everything looked great inside the bumper, including the connector. The car has never been hit or painted.
**My question is this: Before I go spend $189+tax for diagnostic/reset at the dealer, is there a reset that needs to take place? There is on Hondas and you can find a video on Youtube with a guy going through the procedure. It would be an internal mechanic type of document. I assume there is some kind of 'put key in, press button 10 times, etc. etc.' type of thing for these cars.

I know about the button on the dash and the ECM reset which is only engine/tranny related, so those options are out.

Hoping someone here knows. I saved a LOT of money over the dealer on this, but still spent a fair penny. I want them working.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-21, 09:42 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

First question how much did the shop pay for the sensor? There are many aftermarket parking sensors out there that look just like the read one (they even come prepainted just like OEM), if they didn't buy it from a dealer I would be suspect.

When I bought my car it had a bad sensor, I bought a used one on ebay plugged it in and everything went back to working, no reset required. If you have a techstream which is very cheap and easy to buy you can look at the live data to see the parking sensor data that the computer is seeing.
The following users liked this post:
nvwls (04-15-21)
Old 04-15-21, 12:53 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm sorry if I missed this in your original post, but what is the exact problem you're experiencing? Which parking sensors were malfunctioning?
Old 04-15-21, 09:21 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

@jharris400 , @nvwls , Thanks.

jharris - 1. I bought the sensor from Amayama, many satisfied customers. It came in the bubble pack with the red and white Toyota seal, and the sensor was stamped with my color code, 062. 2. What is a techstream? Do you have a link? Are you talking about one of those OBD2 scanners?

nvwls - Far left (driver's) front corner. It freaks out and comes on solid when I decelerate, somewhere around 20 and below. If I test it in the driveway, it acts like it should. It see things. When I accelerate, it goes away.
Old 04-15-21, 09:55 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't see anything re-calibration procedure in the service manual. Can you access Techstream to see what code is stored in the Clearance Sonar System?

CA2WALS430 (04-19-21)
Old 04-16-21, 12:30 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 255 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
@jharris400 , @nvwls , Thanks.

jharris - 1. I bought the sensor from Amayama, many satisfied customers. It came in the bubble pack with the red and white Toyota seal, and the sensor was stamped with my color code, 062. 2. What is a techstream? Do you have a link? Are you talking about one of those OBD2 scanners?

nvwls - Far left (driver's) front corner. It freaks out and comes on solid when I decelerate, somewhere around 20 and below. If I test it in the driveway, it acts like it should. It see things. When I accelerate, it goes away.
Sounds like a broken wire to me. Also be aware that there are 6 sensors on the front and only 3 indicators on the dash, so the fault could be in the next sensor in.
The left 2 sensors drive the left indicator, the middle 2 the middle indicator, and the right 2 the right indicator.
At the rear there are only 4 sensors, 1 for left, 2 for middle and one for right.
CA2WALS430 (04-19-21)
Old 04-16-21, 06:36 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
Amayama is an excellent source you didn't get a fake one from them. Techstream is the dealer level scan tool used for Toyota Lexus and Scion. If you take your car to the dealership they will connect to it using a techstream, it will tell you everything, even allowing you to modify the personalization settings.

The dealer tool isn't available to the public officially, but clone adapters and cracked software are available everywhere on the internet. Search ebay or amazon for techstream, they used to be available cheaply but it seems the price has gone up.

You can use the techstream to view each parking sensor's data, the faulty sensor should have data that is different from the others around it, or you can drive around and wait for the sensor to act up since you said there isn't a problem while parked.
Old 04-16-21, 11:48 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
Sounds like a broken wire to me. Also be aware that there are 6 sensors on the front and only 3 indicators on the dash, so the fault could be in the next sensor in.
The left 2 sensors drive the left indicator, the middle 2 the middle indicator, and the right 2 the right indicator.
At the rear there are only 4 sensors, 1 for left, 2 for middle and one for right.
@BigBoomer , good to see you! This is the worst thing I have ever read, ok not really, but research I should have thought of before. I knew there were 6 in front and 4 in back, but it never occurred to me there are only 3 zones on the screen. DUH! The owners manual does not call out the 2-2-2, but it does call out the zones, and it makes sense because the 2 corner ones are the same size, and the 2 middle are bigger. The good news is now I most likely have a perfectly good extra sensor of the right size, zero physical damage, and the other one in that zone does show signs of taking on a big something, couple of good nicks for sure. We do not salt our roads in the Pacific NW, but we do sand, and it is wet here. I also took a flat plastic toothpick and ran it lightly around the tiny gasket for any debris...nothing.
I know you guys will balk at this, but I just rebooked the job for next week. Taking the chance. The guy at the shop reassured me the inside of the bumper was never touched/hit and looks good, including all connections, so the likelihood of an electrical thing is really small. I accept the consequences. If this doesn't work I will turn them off forever. I could go to my independent guy for a techstream, but could just add to my losses if this doesn't pan out.

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Nathan

Last edited by CA2WALS430; 04-16-21 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-17-21, 07:39 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Just an update on some homework I did.

@pmesfun thank you for that data from the service manual.
My Lexus svc advisor, who totally understands my need to save a little dough, confirmed there is no reset/calibration procedure for these older cars we have. He said there is for the new ones, and it sometimes takes 2 hours....at $189/hour. One of my beefs for another thread.....these cars used to be built for value, now they seem to be built like Benz and Beem, for the income class that buys them.

He also confirmed based on my clean bumper report that he thought it would very unlikely for an electrical problem, said he's never really seen that and that is most likely the sensor.

Anywho, FYI.

Last edited by CA2WALS430; 04-19-21 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 07:07 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

BOOM! Success. Thank you all again. I had the old sensor which was not baad replace the one in the photo, and all is well. I dropped in the photo so you could see the culprit. Wow, they are sensitive little buggers, 10 rocks could probably hit them, but then one....
Thanks, @BigBoomer .