Multi-Information Display Out Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 10:45 AM
LexusLSLX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Multi-Information Display Out Instrument Cluster

Hello,

The multi-information display (picture below) on my 2004 LS430 has been out/blank for a while and I am at a loss on how to get it back. There are brief periods on cold days when the screen would come back but pixelated.

-Pressing or holding DISP1 or DISP2 does not change anything.

The following users liked this post:
CA2WALS430 (05-08-21)
Old 05-07-21, 02:33 PM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Sounds like a broken solder joint on the display circuit board. Probably easier to replace the whole cluster unless you are a wizz with electronics.
Old 05-08-21, 12:56 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts

@LexusLSLX Check out the threads I just commented on. Granted, discussing Navigation issues, but the problem was the solder used and it could be the same for yours. You are in California, which is where I sent mine. Here is all the info:
Thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...een-off-4.html
Thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...connected.html
RadioMedics in Rancho Cordova:
https://radiomedics.com/

At least call those guys and maybe they can weigh in with an opinion.
Old 05-16-21, 07:36 PM
LexusLSLX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a update on this post and thanks everyone for their help. BigBoomer was correct that it was an issue with the cluster.
  • There are 3 ways to remedy this issue.
    • Buy a new gauge cluster from Lexus.
      • I believe Lexus Dealerships does not correct the mileage and just put a sticker on the door jam indicating that the mileage on the new cluster is not fully representative of actual vehicle mileage. This may potentially decrease value of care as accurate vehicle mileage is unknown.
    • Buy a used cluster. Once you have the replacement cluster you have a shop correct the mileage (also called odometer correction or mileage correction) to your accurate mileage.
      • Avoid companies that say they can swap out the mileage chip from your broken cluster to your new cluster as it more complicated than that
      • Look for shops who do mileage corrections electronically via some kind of connection directly to the cluster or are familiar with vehicle electronics. There are a bunch of shops that require you to mail in your cluster, I did not feel comfortable doing that as most of the online google/yelp reviews say that these shops usually hold on to the cluster for 1-3 weeks and are not usually familiar with Lexus/Toyota. I found a local shop do the mileage correction in about 30 minutes for ~$120.
    • Repair the original cluster
      • This seems like the most expensive option, most shops are not familiar with Lexus/Toyota gauge clusters from year 2000+ other than basic needle swaps and parts are hard to obtain. Also, you might have to pay a diagnostic fee + a fee to fix the cluster if its fixable.