LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

help with aftermarket stereo installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 04:50 PM
teaa
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default help with aftermarket stereo installation

2002 ls 430, no navigation. I'm trying to install an aftermarket stereo, specifically the Sony XAV-AX1000. I'm just having trouble finding a proper wiring diagram for the speakers. I've searched throughout this forum and google, and I'm even browsing Toyotas TIS and can't find what the wire colors are. I found one site that is listing colors that my 20 pin connector does not have, so I'ma little lost

Looking for a diagram or something I can go off of to install this stereo without a wiring harness adapter. Just connecting the cables together.

All the diagrams I see are showing different colors to what I've got in the 20 pin. Maybe i'm just an idiot but I'm seeing colors on here that don't show on the electrical wiring diagram (green/yellow cable, and theres two gray cables)

Last edited by teaa; 06-29-21 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-29-21, 05:40 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I haven't undertaken this yet but I'm pretty sure that harness is running to the amp. You are either going to need a harness that allows the new head unit to run through the factory amp with that harness, or bypass the amp altogether - which you can't do with that harness.

Here's a thread that may help a little
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ll-w-pics.html
Old 06-29-21, 06:31 PM
teaa
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ellesse
I haven't undertaken this yet but I'm pretty sure that harness is running to the amp. You are either going to need a harness that allows the new head unit to run through the factory amp with that harness, or bypass the amp altogether - which you can't do with that harness.

Here's a thread that may help a little
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ll-w-pics.html
thanks i'll take a look at that thread. Do you know where I can get the proper harness adapter? I already have an amp and sub I was planning on installing, so not sure what the best route to go is now. my previous car was pretty straight forward when it came to wiring so this is confusing to me lol
Old 06-29-21, 07:28 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

That thread lays out a good option; basically run speaker wire to the trunk to your new amp, and then tap into the amp output from the old amp to power the speakers
Old 07-01-21, 02:47 PM
teaa
Pit Crew

UPDATE: I ended up purchasing a TYTO-01 wiring harness despite seeing people say it does not work in LS430s. It works perfect in my 02. Installation was simple and now I can just install my secondary amp/sub and hook it up thru the Sony stereo.

TYTO-01 works on a 2002 Lexus LS 430. Sound and all. The ONLY issue I had once things were wired up was the stock 7.5 amp fuse in the passenger kick fuse box (number 33) blew when the Sony stereo was powered on a second time. I replaced it with a 10 amp fuse and so far so good.
Old 07-01-21, 03:46 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

The TYTO-01 "works" if you only want sound out of the system. You lose your steering wheel controls, any eq adjustments, and the fader.
Old 07-01-21, 04:21 PM
teaa
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 911LE
The TYTO-01 "works" if you only want sound out of the system. You lose your steering wheel controls, any eq adjustments, and the fader.
eh steering wheel controls were broken already so I had gotten used to without it. EQ adjustments can be made on the new stereo, unless you mean something else? Fader/balance I don't care for anyway, but they do work on the new headunit as well. I guess if steering wheel controls are important to you TYTO might not be the right choice

Last edited by teaa; 07-01-21 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 04:24 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by teaa
eh steering wheel controls were broken already so I had gotten used to without it. EQ adjustments can be made on the new stereo, unless you mean something else? Fader/balance I don't care for anyway, but they do work on the new headunit as well. I guess if steering wheel controls are important to you TYTO might not be the right choice
The eq and fader look like they are working on the head unit but there is no difference in the sound output from the speakers. I installed this unit on my car and the sound was almost all from the front speakers. After calling the place that sold it to me a few times to resolve the issue, they called the manufacturers tech department who finally ended up admitting that it doesn't really work in the LS. It's designed as a universal product for most Toyota models and doesn't integrate well with the LS. If you are happy with the sound, that is great. I'm posting this for others who may go this same route to avoid frustration.
Old 07-02-21, 10:33 AM
teaa
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 911LE
The eq and fader look like they are working on the head unit but there is no difference in the sound output from the speakers. I installed this unit on my car and the sound was almost all from the front speakers. After calling the place that sold it to me a few times to resolve the issue, they called the manufacturers tech department who finally ended up admitting that it doesn't really work in the LS. It's designed as a universal product for most Toyota models and doesn't integrate well with the LS. If you are happy with the sound, that is great. I'm posting this for others who may go this same route to avoid frustration.
thanks for the information, it's actually frustrating that there's little options for properly wiring to the stock harness without rewiring the whole car setup. in other cars it's always been so much simpler in my experience
Old 06-09-22, 07:28 PM
Jgue91
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help please

I got the tyto and have an 02 ls430 non nav non ml I got it all hooked up up n powers up and all that is there a secret to getting sound because I've looked it over 100 times and seems right just no sound
Old 06-10-22, 03:48 AM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Stand alone is the way to go and with the amp/amps in the boot you can tap into the stock amp
for a feed to all the speakers .