LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 Shifting weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 10:27 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 157 Posts

So is the shop that screwed up your car and then told you to get the ecm redone going to pay for it? I knew all along it wasn't a transmission issue. A scanner that read live data would have shown the extreme lean condition that prevented acceleration and would have been much cheaper in the long run. Glad to hear you got it fixed though.
Old 09-16-21, 06:32 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
So is the shop that screwed up your car and then told you to get the ecm redone going to pay for it? I knew all along it wasn't a transmission issue. A scanner that read live data would have shown the extreme lean condition that prevented acceleration and would have been much cheaper in the long run. Glad to hear you got it fixed though.
This all got squared away yesterday evening so I haven't talked to the original shop yet. Good news is the new mechanic that will now be the only mechanic I use on my Lexus only charged me $225 for fixing it. He also only charged me $150 for a transmission drain/fill as well where most other shops I called for a drain/fill wanted between $200 - $250.

It was his live data scanner that helped him figure it out. He said that the fuel trim levels would go down to 0 when you rev it up. He also said that the hardest part was that it was very spiritic which is was symptoms I was seeing. It wasn't constantly running out of fuel all the time. I'm guessing that it would depend on the temperature of the weather and engine compartment. I'm thinking that when it was cooler like early in the morning or it's first drive after sitting for awhile the rubber was cooler and didn't twist as bad but when it was warmer the rubber was more flexible and probably really twisted from the motor trying to suck some gas....just guessing.

I'm happy as a lark at the moment after stressing out over it all for the last couple months worrying about if I had to get rid of her or what I would replace her with if I had to. After having a LS430 for about 7 yrs now it's hard to find something comparable that isn't extremely over priced.