LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question for those that had SIA repair their ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 09:22 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Question for those that had SIA repair their ECU

I have a couple issues with my transmission shifting all of a sudden with one of them being the hard down shifts. I sent my ECU off to SIA to have repaired. I just got the email that it will be shipped out today so I called to check to make sure there was truly an issue and that it was able to be repaired. Notes said they repaired the transmission section of the ECU and it also recommended to get the ECU updated. That's where my question is. Did you have to update your ECU? If so, did you take it to a dealer? I was told a locksmith can do it so I called my local locksmith that I typically use and he said they will only do it for a repair shop and not a walk in. He also mentioned that it was just to basically set the key to the ECU again which I wouldn't think I would need to do since it's the original ECU and not a replacement.

If you had your ECU repaired by SIA, did you have to do anything besides just put the ECU back in and drive?

Keeping my fingers crossed that both of my transmission issues get fixed by the repair.
The following users liked this post:
nvwls (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 11:40 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

What was your turnaround time from them receiving the unit to shipping it out today?
Old 08-12-21, 11:57 AM
caverman
Instructor

Shipped out Thursday (8/5) and they received it on Monday (8/9) in the afternoon. I got an email this morning (8/12) that it was done and being shipped out today. Package hasn't been picked up yet so the dates are still showing the original estimates of 8/20-8/25 but when I called to check this morning they told me it only takes about 3 days for shipping. So, with the weekend coming I'm thinking I'll get it on Monday (8/16).
Old 08-13-21, 03:50 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Shipped out Thursday (8/5) and they received it on Monday (8/9) in the afternoon. I got an email this morning (8/12) that it was done and being shipped out today. Package hasn't been picked up yet so the dates are still showing the original estimates of 8/20-8/25 but when I called to check this morning they told me it only takes about 3 days for shipping. So, with the weekend coming I'm thinking I'll get it on Monday (8/16).
The update takes like 1-2 hours to download to the ecu, dealerships will not install the update. That is what I was told by new country lexus. You are going to need to send the ecu to quantum auto, or all4swap to get the proper software update downloaded will be $250 plus shipping.
Old 08-14-21, 08:16 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

I tried calling my local dealership and they were also hesitant to update it unless I was experiencing specific issues...

If you have a techstream cable & software, it looks like you should be able to do this with a $65, 2-day subscription to techstream (https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/Register.aspx). They specifically list ECU calibrations and techstream access. You can even program keys for an additional $20 per key. I attached the Lexus TSB outlining the reflash procedure.

Has anyone done it before or heard of someone doing it this way? I plan on sending my ECU to SIA at the end of this month, so reflashing myself would be helpful as shipping out to quantum auto is not an attractive option. Only issue is that you need to maintain the battery charge throughout the reflash procedure without their $4k SST.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10164328-9999.pdf (1.58 MB, 180 views)

Last edited by nvwls; 08-14-21 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 01:01 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

fingers crossed all is well today
first Ive heard of additional expense
Old 08-16-21, 05:07 PM
caverman
Instructor

Got my ECU back and in the car. I didn't have to update anything so far. It started right up as I was hoping. The hard down shifts are 100% gone. The passing gear seems to be fixed well enough. It doesn't act perfect, it acts like it really decide what gear to use and it holds the RPM high and doesn't act like it's slipping anymore. I drove it around a bit and did some basic fast take offs from a stop sign and a little bit of dropping down into passing gear to get around a car and all seems well. Part of me would like to try a manual ECU update but another part says to leave well enough alone.

I'm going to post the info I found for manually resetting the ECU in case someone else comes across this post looking for the same info.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...cu-tuning.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...martkey-2.html

Old 08-17-21, 07:22 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If the car drives and shifts fine at this point, I'd leave the ECM alone.
Old 09-17-21, 10:08 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

I just got my ECU back from SIA - car shifts much more smoothly now, improvements similar to what caverman mentioned, noticeable specifically when accelerating (passing or from standstill).

They also recommended updating the ECU. For the price of ECU repair and updating, I think I should have just purchased a refurb tuned ECU from Quantum Auto for $450 and sold my current ECU. Quantum said they have to reflash the ECU as part of their tune.
Old 09-17-21, 11:28 AM
caverman
Instructor

I will say that I did not have to reflash my ECU. It all worked right out of the box. I think they give a blanket statement of flashing your ECU after repair to be on the safe side instead of having a disappointed customer calling them up saying the repair didn't work when all that needs to happen is a reflash. So, good chance you won't need to reflash your ECU but the suggestion is there in case you have issues and that would probably be the fix.
Old 09-17-21, 12:15 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by caverman
I will say that I did not have to reflash my ECU. It all worked right out of the box. I think they give a blanket statement of flashing your ECU after repair to be on the safe side instead of having a disappointed customer calling them up saying the repair didn't work when all that needs to happen is a reflash. So, good chance you won't need to reflash your ECU but the suggestion is there in case you have issues and that would probably be the fix.
Definitely true. I think that if anyone else drove it they would say the car shifts great. But there was a transmission update released for the 6 speed sometime in 2005 that I don't think was ever done on my 2004 model and OCD car owner in me wants it done.
Old 09-17-21, 06:36 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Ok, so I have followed the various transmission/SIA threads. You are saying get the SIA work done, then go to my dealership and get the flash?
Old 09-17-21, 07:26 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
Ok, so I have followed the various transmission/SIA threads. You are saying get the SIA work done, then go to my dealership and get the flash?
That is what they recommend, my work order says "HIGHLY suggest updating system upon installation." No one has given a quote, but I would expect at least 200+ to reflash. In my opinion, getting a quantum ECU that's already been flashed and tuned for $450 is a better deal, if you have techstream and can pair keys yourself.
CA2WALS430 (09-18-21)
Old 09-18-21, 05:51 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks, @nvwls . Wow. I am single this is my only car, so planning for a week + downtime while I ship from Washington to Missouri and back and then $189 + tax for a flash upon return. Quite a commitment. I am not desperate yet, but my indy mechanic said to not let it go too long since you actually start to damage the transmission after a while, but I think that is a ways off. It's hard to poopoo Loxus on these cars, but they biffed it on this one.
Old 09-18-21, 06:06 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
Thanks, @nvwls . Wow. I am single this is my only car, so planning for a week + downtime while I ship from Washington to Missouri and back and then $189 + tax for a flash upon return. Quite a commitment. I am not desperate yet, but my indy mechanic said to not let it go too long since you actually start to damage the transmission after a while, but I think that is a ways off. It's hard to poopoo Loxus on these cars, but they biffed it on this one.
I'm in the same boat, this is my only car. I sent it out while on vacation but it still took longer than expected. Their website quotes a 3-5 day turnaround but when I called 48 hrs after they received my shipment, they told me it would be at least 2 weeks because of a "labor day back-up" (Labor Day is a one day holiday?) and then add time to ship back on top of that. I had to really press them to finish it quickly and it still took 7 days from when they received it until they sent it out. If I hadn't paid for one-day shipping both ways, it would have been at least 1.5 weeks.
CA2WALS430 (09-18-21)

Quick Reply: Question for those that had SIA repair their ECU