LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Repairing an '04, 77k mile, UL, black/saddle gem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 11:59 AM
ATXLX
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Repairing an '04, 77k mile, UL, black/saddle gem

Hey guys, really excited to finally be entering the LS430 world, and with what I hope to be a great example. I recently won an auction for this LS430, a black/saddle '04 with only 77k miles and the UL package. Luckily for me, service history indicates the previous owner took great care of this car, and even luckier for me, it seems the air suspension was leaking around 10k miles ago, and has been replaced with a traditional suspension.

Now obviously there's a bit of a catch...

It was obviously involved in a front end collision, and the insurance totalled it, resulting in a salvage title. Personally, I don't really care, as I expect to drive this thing to my grave. I love later 90s/early00s Toyotas and Lexuses (have a 97 LX450, and recently sold a 99 SC400).

Now I'm starting to compile a list of parts that I'll need. I'll be doing all the work myself, and would rate myself about a 7/10 on the DIY scale (have done head/valve cover gaskets, valve adjustments, full brake jobs). Going off the pictures, obviously going to need to replace the following..

- Front bumper cover
- Passenger headlight assembly
- Passenger front fender
- Probably passenger front fender liner
- Parking senor(s)
- Headlamp washing assembly
- Some amount of bracketry/hardware

Is there anything else that sits behind here that would easily be damaged or destroyed given the amount of damage? Any insight here would be great. I should be getting it in a week or so, really excited to start this project.

I'm also starting to build a parts list for baselining, as it seems the only realy maintenance that's been done are oil changes and brake pads. Lining up timing belt/while I'm in there stuff, hoses, etc. Anything else really important to address?

I also have some auto body experience, taking my SC400 from the day I bought it..

to the day I sold it..

Thanks!

Last edited by ATXLX; 08-13-21 at 12:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATXLX:
CELSI0R (08-17-21), DC777 (10-18-21)
Old 08-13-21, 12:18 PM
roshko
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You might have to do some pulling down there. I don't know what an LS430 looks like with the bumper off. But whatever is behind that headlight is going to be damaged, could be the radiator support, or something that is welded in. I did a fix on a Volvo with similar damage, and there was a welded in bracket to support the headlight and where the rad support bolted in. Looks like you might need hood hinges too. Lots of clips and stuff. You might have to do some adjusting to get the hood/ fender line right. Don't forget fog light .
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 12:54 PM
YannG
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Did you win this on autobid? I'm pretty sure I bid on that car a few weeks back!

Nice purchase ! Good luck with the project
Old 08-13-21, 01:19 PM
ATXLX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YannG
Did you win this on autobid? I'm pretty sure I bid on that car a few weeks back!

Nice purchase ! Good luck with the project
Just bid straight through Copart. Was my first time buying at auction, and started to get pretty close to my max. Luckily the other bidder tapped out before I did. I’m not expecting a straightforward project, and I’m sure I’ll have a curveball here and there, but if I’m going to be throwing time and money at a 430, I’d rather it be one that I really want, which this one is.
Old 08-13-21, 01:49 PM
ATXLX
Driver School Candidate

Are there any places the community likes where I can find decent parts cars?
Old 08-13-21, 05:39 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

if the laser cruise is alright, then you dodged a major expense
sensor from dealer is $1750ish and install and calibration not included.
Old 08-13-21, 05:54 PM
ATXLX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
if the laser cruise is alright, then you dodged a major expense
sensor from dealer is $1750ish and install and calibration not included.
Is that located in the passenger quarter? I thought it was in the grille but maybe that's the earlier laser (I've read the 04+ have radar)
Old 08-13-21, 07:23 PM
HTGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sensor is in the lower grille between the damaged area and license plate bracket. It looks like it might be OK. You will need a new bumper cover with that cutout for laser cruise.
Old 08-13-21, 07:46 PM
maimou
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can i ask how much you paid at the auction?
Old 08-13-21, 09:36 PM
ATXLX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maimou
Can i ask how much you paid at the auction?
I won the auction with a bid of $7700. With sales tax + auction fees (~$850) and the cost of shipping to my door in Austin from OKC (~$750 through Copart. Don't have a full trailer, renting one + gas would have probably been similar, and didn't want to chance the highway worthiness), my final invoice was ~$9300. Paid via a wire transfer. On the higher side for a salvage title, but like I said, that doesn't really bother me at all since I don't plan on selling this, and I'd rather not let the one I really want (low miles, saddle interior, good maintenance history, UL) get away.

Also, doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to get a rebuilt title, and if I document the process, I can't imaging I take that large of a hit in resale in a decade if I do decide to move on from it.
JffGRY706 (08-16-21)
Old 08-14-21, 06:29 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm useless to you here (outside of suggesting you add a foglight to your list!), but a pet peeve is seeing cars with one older headlight and one spanking new one. There are lots of used parts on ebay etc but if you end up with a brand new headlight please polish up the old one to match, I would appreciate it ha!
Old 08-16-21, 09:48 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 303 Likes on 239 Posts

Wow, very interested in seeing the transformation! Is the SC work documented anywhere?

Body work is fascinating.
Old 08-25-21, 09:10 AM
ATXLX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Wow, very interested in seeing the transformation! Is the SC work documented anywhere?

Body work is fascinating.
Nah. I started to, but eventually got really busy with my real job, and progress was really slow and frustrating. Just wanted to get it done by the end of it. Glad I stuck with it through, it really turned out great. TL;DR, ****ty aftermarket widebody kit applied with self-tapping screws, and more bondo then I've ever seen in my life. Had to source the bumpers, skirts, and fenders, as well as weld/repair the holes in the body work. It sucked, and took a lot of my time and money.
Old 08-25-21, 09:27 AM
ATXLX
Driver School Candidate

Finally took delivery today. The process was painless, and barring a lack of communication from Copart/Ready Logistics until the car was shipped (radio silence from the time I won the auction (8/10) til the following Monday (8/16) where I received a confirmation call but no estaimted dates, and then radio silence again until this Monday (8/23) where I received a text from the actual shipper who had the LS on his truck, a full car hauler semi). I had to meet him about 2 miles from my house, as his rig wouldn't fit down the smaller streets in my neighboorhood. After making sure it was holding temp well, no concerning noises coming from any moving parts, no leaks, tires in good shape, and the brakes worked well, I set out at ~20mph, and made it home without issue. And here she is (the good side at least...)

And more detailed pictures of the damage..

So obviously looking at bumper, headlight (both already sourced), fender (still looking for a decent one I won't have to respray, preferrably with the OEM pinstriping), fender liner, that metal brace (gotta find that part no.), and a couple electrical connectors/harnesses. Looks likes whatever electrical componenets that are behind there are in good shape, but their mounts have been tweaked a bit. I'll be sure to take care realigning them, but nothing in here looks to be completely destroyed, nor any core strutural componenets misaligned, which was my main worry buying this sight unseen.

I'm really excited to start this project. Just limping it the 2 miles home it felt so ridiculously solid.

Also already ordered an Aisin timing belt kit, and will be knocking that out along with fluid changes and fresh gas before I get it back on the road.

Anything else I should be doing while I'm in there? Any other common wear items I should be looking at?

Last edited by ATXLX; 08-25-21 at 01:07 PM.
CELSI0R (08-31-21)
Old 08-25-21, 11:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Honestly not at that mileage no. Do all fluids and filters and perhaps plugs if you want and it should be quite happy. Only things I can think of are check lower control arm bushings and motor mounts? They should be okay though

Quick Reply: Repairing an '04, 77k mile, UL, black/saddle gem