LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21 | 07:58 PM
maimou
Driver

Default How much is too much?

I have been in the market for a 04-05-06 LS430 for a while. One just popped up with 38,000 Klms (23,600 miles) it's an 06 UL. The seller said it was her mother's car and her mother passed away. The seller put new tires on it and a new battery this year but with kids doesn't think it is practical for her so she is selling it. Always serviced at the Lexus dealership. Comes with an extra set of wheels for the winter.
The mileage is incredible and the car is impeccable but she is asking $19,500 Canadian....
It's a lot for a 16 year old car.
Or is it??

Your opinions?
Old 08-13-21 | 08:23 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

For 23,600 miles, last model year, UL, Lexus serviced, new tires, extra set of wheels/winter tires... if you don't buy it, send the link my way!

For comparison, this 28,300 mile 04 premium package just sold for 23K USD (https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3zJ...4-lexus-ls-430).

Yes, used car prices are inflated, but the LS is becoming increasingly popular (see activity on YouTube, recent SpeedAcademy series, activity on Reddit page, Facebook, etc.). Such low mileage is EXTREMELY rare.

The only thing you will have to look out for is that the timing belt should be done because of age, if not done already. That is $900-1200 USD at a dealer. And obviously, all fluids will also need to be replaced if not done previously.
Old 08-13-21 | 08:36 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

This has been debated on several other threads, but due to varying titles, they are hard to search. Bottom line is this:

Yes, it is worth it. It was car ahead of its time in features and build quality. People ride in my '04 and cannot believe the age. The comparison always is to go try to match the satisfaction in current or recent vehicles for that price, and that level of maintenance! These are truly Mercedes-level vehicles for Toyota maintenance.

There is a slight risk of obsolescence. Toyota will likely support these for a long time still, but a few people have reported "part no longer available" on obscure parts. Age is inevitable, and as you know, the newest ones are hitting their 15th birthday.

To me, it's worth it. But it all depends on how each person approaches economics.
***If you buy, please post photos and whatnot.
Old 08-13-21 | 08:49 PM
maimou
Driver

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
This has been debated on several other threads, but due to varying titles, they are hard to search. Bottom line is this:

Yes, it is worth it. It was car ahead of its time in features and build quality. People ride in my '04 and cannot believe the age. The comparison always is to go try to match the satisfaction in current or recent vehicles for that price, and that level of maintenance! These are truly Mercedes-level vehicles for Toyota maintenance.

There is a slight risk of obsolescence. Toyota will likely support these for a long time still, but a few people have reported "part no longer available" on obscure parts. Age is inevitable, and as you know, the newest ones are hitting their 15th birthday.

To me, it's worth it. But it all depends on how each person approaches economics.
***If you buy, please post photos and whatnot.
We have an 04 GX470 and have had it for a little over 6 years now. I has been great. I'd love to park a LS430 in the garage beside it. I do all the maintenance on my own cars (04 GX 470, 02 Silverado, 03 Accord (bought new), 88 Monte Carlo (bought with 29,000 klms)
I love everything about the 04-05-06 LS430 UL's and maintenance does not scare me, so I'd be able to keep the costs down over the years.
The car is about 3 hours away from me, she has other interested parties (of course) and said she would let me know if it sells before I can get my undecided mind there to look/buy the car.
I don't really have 20K burning a hole in my pocket (but could swing it without much issue) and I certainly don't need another vehicle, but eventually I will.......I am sure it would last the rest of my driving life.

I don't think I could ever find a better condition lower mileage one, but could certainly find a cheaper one.

Old 08-14-21 | 03:15 AM
TriC
Racer

If the car is as nice as represented, it is worth every penny of the asking price and then some.
The following users liked this post:
JffGRY706 (08-14-21)
Old 08-14-21 | 07:22 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

I just turned 249,000 miles on my ‘01 and on Monday my speed shop is performing a brake upgrade (painted calipers, slotted rotors, new pads, SS brake lines). I plan to have this car for a long time.

Even if you allocate $10k for maintenance and repairs you will not find a comparable car for the same investment.

Better buy quick….
Old 08-14-21 | 10:03 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

For heavens sake, get your backside over there and buy it!

In today's market, I'll be surprised if it lasts for more than a day or two. The plus is it may be a little tough to finance due to age, and most folks don't have the cash.

I would gladly pay their price, sheesh, just look at the cost of buying a new car that is equivalent in all the things that really matter. 15 K 06 Lexus @ 15.5 USD or 2021 ???? @ 100 K+

Esp. so if it has PCS / cruise. That greatly modernizes the safety and convenience.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (08-14-21)
Old 08-14-21 | 01:59 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I agree that instead of posting this thread......get over there asap and make it happen if it's a real one! Any decent car does not last these days. Especially a low mileage LS!
Old 08-18-21 | 09:22 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

nice car, just keep in mind if you put miles on it the value will drop like a rock. Much faster than a pristine 100k mile car, of which there are plenty out there for much less $.