LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 06:31 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Champ apparently you can just screw the fuel dampeners into the radiator end of the rails ??
I'm not sure as haven't tried it yet .
Yes I was intending to go the Quantum route after their second attempt netted 296 at the wheels , have you seen that video ?
You are correct that the car is mighty and now even more so , it's only at 4.4 Psi at the moment but going up to 6 as soon as I can get my hands on a smaller pulley !!
Yoda I'm running a catch can with the PCV valve still in the left bank cam cover I figure that at 5 psi it can handle it but when I go up to 7 psi I'll have to run without the PCV valve or get one that can handle it .
Any input appreciated .
I'm pretty sure that refreshing ALL the oil in the auto every 80,000K's while running an oil cooler with the Quantum shifting mod will be quite sufficient in MY case .
The car doesn't get driven much different with the charger on it .
Manny eons ago my wife's 1992 LS400 had 365,000 K's on it and still shifted like new with the same policy plus the sport mode is always on and the same with the 430 , mine is also the 5 speed .
I'm open to being convinced otherwise ??
Old 01-22-22, 06:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

The 650e can take it, just don't go much higher input TQ wise and change the fluid. Normally it doesn't even need fluid changes so as long as you aren't slipping the clutches too badly it should last at least a while before blowing up.

Old 01-22-22, 08:27 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Transmission Sprag Upgrade and PCV

Originally Posted by Groot430
Champ apparently you can just screw the fuel dampeners into the radiator end of the rails ??
Yes I was intending to go the Quantum route after their second attempt netted 296 at the wheels , have you seen that video ?
You are correct that the car is mighty and now even more so , it's only at 4.4 Psi at the moment but going up to 6 as soon as I can get my hands on a smaller pulley !!
Yoda I'm running a catch can with the PCV valve still in the left bank cam cover I figure that at 5 psi it can handle it but when I go up to 7 psi I'll have to run without the PCV valve or get one that can handle it .
Any input appreciated .
I'm pretty sure that refreshing ALL the oil in the auto every 80,000K's while running an oil cooler with the Quantum shifting mod will be quite sufficient in MY case .
Manny eons ago my wife's 1992 LS400 had 365,000 K's on it and still shifted like new with the same policy plus the sport mode is always on and the same with the 430 , mine is also the 5 speed .
Consider placing 4 fuel.dampers..one on each end of rail...remove front caps and use adapters. A project I was considering, but you are using OEM fuel dampers with now higher output injectors?
The fuel injectors are hammering all the way from front to back...

Check out Radium Auto...

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pulse...Kits-P759.aspx

One weak link on A650-E ittansmission s the sprag...

Just one of many online links on topic:

https://www.powerdynamix.com/store/A...rades-c5548271

You should also consider torque converter upgrade:..not necessarily stall speed change, but a fortified torque converter.

https://gopnh.com/

You will encounter issues if you don't sort out PCV situation.

The oil catch does not evauate the crankcase per se, but how is PCV gonna work when using a supercharger with PCV system designed for naturally aspirated engine with vacuum

Check out:

http://mewagner.com/?p=444

They have a good product and are quite knowledgeable, but are strange birds.(Dude thought I was a competitor trying to knock off his product))

They are Very paranoid about their product being used on EPA certified vehicles...so tell him it is used in an off road dune buggy...

Lighter rims will help reduce the strain on the remainder of drivetrain.

Also...look into the one way clutch pulley.(Litens brand) for supercharger....it will improve many things.

I have post on LS400 side for clutch pulley on alternator.

Consider investigating ways to reduce the stress on serpentine belt/ pulleys/tensioner and driven accessories...

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-24-22 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 07:19 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

PCV issue can be fixed relatively simply by adding a second loop in front of the super attached the intake that takes over when the stock one comes under pressure.

As far as the rest it's probably cheaper to just swap out parts when they die?
Old 01-23-22, 07:48 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
PCV issue can be fixed relatively simply by adding a second loop in front of the super attached the intake that takes over when the stock one comes under pressure.

Radium offers Fuel dampers with vacuum reference ports necessary for use on boosted systems.

https://youtu.be/aWuFFhKuQZs

Toyota Racing Development offered and promptly discontinued a plug-and- play supercharger for the 4.7 liter 2UZ-FE.

Among bottom end issues (connecting rods) it did not appear the kit fully addressed;

PCV (or maybe it did, so OP might want to have a look at TRD system) , fuel dampers (vacuum reference ports), fuel pressure (fuel pump), and fuel injectors.

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-24-22 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-24-22, 03:59 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223

The stock PCV valve is not tuned for a supercharger....

Located article which discusses use of check valves in tandem with oil catch cans on supercharged engines:

Normally aspirated PCV system

PCV system.with oil.catch cans and check valve

https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...re-blown.2472/

Text without images: (catchy title)

Superchargers And Crankcase Ventilation - How To Breathe When You're Blown

By Vanessa Wilson on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:51 PM
  1. In an internal combustion engine, the difference in pressure between the combustion chamber and the crankcase often results in blow-by, or gasses from the combustion chamber leaking past the piston rings into the crankcase. If not addressed, this can result in a number of problems. High crankcase pressure creates resistance to the normal upward and downward motion of the pistons, which reduces the net horsepower produced by the engine. If the crankcase pressure is high enough, it could cause also gaskets and seals to fail. Blow-by gasses also contain some water and elements of fuel, and if the gasses are allowed to condense in the oil pan, they can cause the formation of acids and contaminate the oil.
    A normally-aspirated engine provides for crankcase ventilation by the use of a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve, commonly mounted on a valve cover. When the valve is supplied with manifold vacuum, evacuation channels in the head and block allow crankcase gasses to be drawn upward from the crankcase through the head and past the PCV valve into the intake manifold, where they can be burned again. The PCV valve is both a one-way check valve and a metering device. Maximum intake vacuum occurs during idling and deceleration, but this is also when blow-by is at a minimum. During these periods, the PCV valve is mostly closed to prevent the system from creating too much vacuum, which the ECU would register as a vacuum leak. Excessive vacuum in the crankcase could also cause seals to leak backwards, drawing in contaminants from the outside air. During periods of heavy acceleration and higher engine speeds, intake manifold vacuum is low, but this is also when blow-by is at its peak. In order to compensate for the reduced intake vacuum, the PCV valve opens fully when engine vacuum is low. This works very well in a normally-aspirated engine, because the intake is always supplying sufficient vacuum to clear the crankcase of blow-by gasses.

But in a forced induction system, the manifold is only providing vacuum (negative pressure) at idle, low speeds, and during deceleration. At higher engine speeds and periods of boost, the system is actually under pressure. If not controlled, the increased manifold pressure will flow backwards through the valve cover into the engine, creating positive crankcase pressure. Most PVC valves are designed so that the sudden high pressure of an engine backfire closes the valve, but even the best valves become contaminated with oil and dirt so that they no longer completely block off the manifold pressure. This problem can be addressed with the use of a one-way check valve. The check valve would work with the PCV valve to limit air flow back into the crankcase. However, the gasses must still be evacuated, and this requires the use of a second evacuation channel.

In the setup described below, the second evacuation channel is actually provided by the first part of the primary intake channel. This is only possible because that part of the system is bidirectional, allowing air to flow in both directions. When the intake manifold vacuum is high but supercharger intake vacuum is relatively low, air is pulled through the crankcase in the direction of the manifold. But when the manifold is pressurized under boost, the check valve completely closes off this part of the system. When that happens, positive crankcase pressure pushes the blow-by gasses in the opposite direction. Almost simultaneously, the air flow at the supercharger intake increases greatly. The increase in airflow results in higher vacuum at the supercharger intake, which draws in the crankcase gasses.

Crankcase Ventilation System, Modified for Fixed Displacement Supercharger

This schematic illustrates the basic setup

Installation notes

· Because the air used to ventilate the crankcase will eventually be burned by the engine, it must be measured by the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor). If the air is not reported to the ECU (Engine Control Unit), the system cannot maintain the proper air/fuel ratio. Therefore, the air must be pulled in after the MAF sensor, but ahead of the supercharger intake.

· The catch can positioned on the PVC/check valve side of the system can be unidirectional, but the catch can used in this part of the system (on the right in the above schematic) must allow air flow in either direction.

· Ideally, the valve cover connections should be as close to the rear as possible. This is because in a hard braking situation, oil is thrown forward within the valve cover. Under such conditions, any connections at the front of the valve cover could draw in liquid oil. If a new connection is made at the rear of the valve cover, it is advisable to also add an oil baffle to the inside of the cover at the connection point.

· With the creative use of check valves, it is possible to use a single catch can with 2 intake ports and 1 output port, but unless the tank is rather large it will require more frequent draining and cleaning. High-quality inline valves are available for about $20 each, but cheaper alternatives are available. Older imported small cars and trucks used them in the vacuum line to the power brake booster unit (American cars switched early to a booster that incorporated the check valve internally). On a real tight budget, these can be found at the junk yard for a dollar or two. The valves must be oriented properly to allow flow in the correct direction.

Air/Oil Separators (Catch Cans)

Catch cans are considered a requirement with any forced induction engine, including those with supercharger systems. Whenever the crankcase ventilation system is used to circulate crankcase gasses through the intake, the need to filter the air becomes even more urgent. Dirty oil vapor can coat the entire intake system, including the valves, with an insulating layer of contaminants that may also contain corrosive elements. This layer may interfere with proper cooling and heat dissipation as well as gumming up the works.

Most importantly, oil vapor in the intake stream lowers the octane of the fuel/air mixture. This could cause engine-damaging detonation and all of the problems associated with it. Therefore, the intake of crankcase gas should always be filtered through an air/oil separator. It is important to use cans that contain oil baffles and/or some sort of filtering element. Those that require periodic draining are recommended, as the oil contained therein is contaminated and not well suited for re-use.

Alternative Crankcase Ventilation Methods

Vent tubes/Breathers

Breathers and vent tubes are the simplest type of crankcase ventilation, and because the crankcase gasses are vented to the atmosphere they require no additional filtration. But they are not very environmentally friendly, and in most cases they will render the car incapable of passing any sort of air quality test. This type of ventilation system is very effective at relieving excessive crankcase pressure, but is not as good at removing contaminated air out of the crankcase. Most of these systems are considered passive ventilation systems rather than positive ones.

Vacuum Pumps

Aftermarket vacuum pumps are another way to provide crankcase ventilation. In addition to supplying consistent and reliable vacuum, they allow low-tension piston rings to be used in the engine building stage. These rings produce much less friction against the cylinder walls while providing an improved seal, thus decreasing blow-by even further. With a big enough pump, it is possible to create such negative pressure in the crankcase that horsepower is increased.

But they can be expensive and problematic, especially if they create too much vacuum. Anything above 14-15 inches begins to pull oil away from critical engine parts, and can even pull unfiltered and unmetered air into the crankcase from outside of the engine. The use of a dry-sump oiling system with oiling jets can overcome this obstacle, but the cost of such a modification is likely prohibitive to all but the most serious engine builders. The use of a vacuum pump further increases the complexity of the system and adds to the engine’s overall parasitic power loss.

Exhaust Evacuation

One very inexpensive way to increase crankcase ventilation is to install an exhaust evacuation kit. These kits typically involve installing a breather on each valve cover. The breathers are connected to the exhaust stream, where exhaust flow creates a vacuum to pull in crankcase gasses.

The most obvious problem with this type of system is that it will cause the vehicle to fail any emissions test. This may not be a problem, but these systems also deposit a large amount of oil into the exhaust system in a very short period of time. And finally, many vehicles rely on exhaust system backpressure for proper EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) function. Such systems cannot provide adequate vacuum or air flow under positive pressure.

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-24-22 at 04:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
QuantumInc (04-20-22)
Old 01-24-22, 07:20 AM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The stock PCV valve is not tuned for a supercharger....

Located article which discusses use of check valves in tandem with oil catch cans on supercharged engines:

Normally aspirated PCV system

PCV system.with oil.catch cans and check valve

https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...re-blown.2472/

Text without images: (catchy title)

Superchargers And Crankcase Ventilation - How To Breathe When You're Blown

By Vanessa Wilson on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:51 PM
  1. In an internal combustion engine, the difference in pressure between the combustion chamber and the crankcase often results in blow-by, or gasses from the combustion chamber leaking past the piston rings into the crankcase. If not addressed, this can result in a number of problems. High crankcase pressure creates resistance to the normal upward and downward motion of the pistons, which reduces the net horsepower produced by the engine. If the crankcase pressure is high enough, it could cause also gaskets and seals to fail. Blow-by gasses also contain some water and elements of fuel, and if the gasses are allowed to condense in the oil pan, they can cause the formation of acids and contaminate the oil.
    A normally-aspirated engine provides for crankcase ventilation by the use of a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve, commonly mounted on a valve cover. When the valve is supplied with manifold vacuum, evacuation channels in the head and block allow crankcase gasses to be drawn upward from the crankcase through the head and past the PCV valve into the intake manifold, where they can be burned again. The PCV valve is both a one-way check valve and a metering device. Maximum intake vacuum occurs during idling and deceleration, but this is also when blow-by is at a minimum. During these periods, the PCV valve is mostly closed to prevent the system from creating too much vacuum, which the ECU would register as a vacuum leak. Excessive vacuum in the crankcase could also cause seals to leak backwards, drawing in contaminants from the outside air. During periods of heavy acceleration and higher engine speeds, intake manifold vacuum is low, but this is also when blow-by is at its peak. In order to compensate for the reduced intake vacuum, the PCV valve opens fully when engine vacuum is low. This works very well in a normally-aspirated engine, because the intake is always supplying sufficient vacuum to clear the crankcase of blow-by gasses.

But in a forced induction system, the manifold is only providing vacuum (negative pressure) at idle, low speeds, and during deceleration. At higher engine speeds and periods of boost, the system is actually under pressure. If not controlled, the increased manifold pressure will flow backwards through the valve cover into the engine, creating positive crankcase pressure. Most PVC valves are designed so that the sudden high pressure of an engine backfire closes the valve, but even the best valves become contaminated with oil and dirt so that they no longer completely block off the manifold pressure. This problem can be addressed with the use of a one-way check valve. The check valve would work with the PCV valve to limit air flow back into the crankcase. However, the gasses must still be evacuated, and this requires the use of a second evacuation channel.

In the setup described below, the second evacuation channel is actually provided by the first part of the primary intake channel. This is only possible because that part of the system is bidirectional, allowing air to flow in both directions. When the intake manifold vacuum is high but supercharger intake vacuum is relatively low, air is pulled through the crankcase in the direction of the manifold. But when the manifold is pressurized under boost, the check valve completely closes off this part of the system. When that happens, positive crankcase pressure pushes the blow-by gasses in the opposite direction. Almost simultaneously, the air flow at the supercharger intake increases greatly. The increase in airflow results in higher vacuum at the supercharger intake, which draws in the crankcase gasses.

Crankcase Ventilation System, Modified for Fixed Displacement Supercharger

This schematic illustrates the basic setup

Installation notes

· Because the air used to ventilate the crankcase will eventually be burned by the engine, it must be measured by the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor). If the air is not reported to the ECU (Engine Control Unit), the system cannot maintain the proper air/fuel ratio. Therefore, the air must be pulled in after the MAF sensor, but ahead of the supercharger intake.

· The catch can positioned on the PVC/check valve side of the system can be unidirectional, but the catch can used in this part of the system (on the right in the above schematic) must allow air flow in either direction.

· Ideally, the valve cover connections should be as close to the rear as possible. This is because in a hard braking situation, oil is thrown forward within the valve cover. Under such conditions, any connections at the front of the valve cover could draw in liquid oil. If a new connection is made at the rear of the valve cover, it is advisable to also add an oil baffle to the inside of the cover at the connection point.

· With the creative use of check valves, it is possible to use a single catch can with 2 intake ports and 1 output port, but unless the tank is rather large it will require more frequent draining and cleaning. High-quality inline valves are available for about $20 each, but cheaper alternatives are available. Older imported small cars and trucks used them in the vacuum line to the power brake booster unit (American cars switched early to a booster that incorporated the check valve internally). On a real tight budget, these can be found at the junk yard for a dollar or two. The valves must be oriented properly to allow flow in the correct direction.

Air/Oil Separators (Catch Cans)

Catch cans are considered a requirement with any forced induction engine, including those with supercharger systems. Whenever the crankcase ventilation system is used to circulate crankcase gasses through the intake, the need to filter the air becomes even more urgent. Dirty oil vapor can coat the entire intake system, including the valves, with an insulating layer of contaminants that may also contain corrosive elements. This layer may interfere with proper cooling and heat dissipation as well as gumming up the works.

Most importantly, oil vapor in the intake stream lowers the octane of the fuel/air mixture. This could cause engine-damaging detonation and all of the problems associated with it. Therefore, the intake of crankcase gas should always be filtered through an air/oil separator. It is important to use cans that contain oil baffles and/or some sort of filtering element. Those that require periodic draining are recommended, as the oil contained therein is contaminated and not well suited for re-use.

Alternative Crankcase Ventilation Methods

Vent tubes/Breathers

Breathers and vent tubes are the simplest type of crankcase ventilation, and because the crankcase gasses are vented to the atmosphere they require no additional filtration. But they are not very environmentally friendly, and in most cases they will render the car incapable of passing any sort of air quality test. This type of ventilation system is very effective at relieving excessive crankcase pressure, but is not as good at removing contaminated air out of the crankcase. Most of these systems are considered passive ventilation systems rather than positive ones.

Vacuum Pumps

Aftermarket vacuum pumps are another way to provide crankcase ventilation. In addition to supplying consistent and reliable vacuum, they allow low-tension piston rings to be used in the engine building stage. These rings produce much less friction against the cylinder walls while providing an improved seal, thus decreasing blow-by even further. With a big enough pump, it is possible to create such negative pressure in the crankcase that horsepower is increased.

But they can be expensive and problematic, especially if they create too much vacuum. Anything above 14-15 inches begins to pull oil away from critical engine parts, and can even pull unfiltered and unmetered air into the crankcase from outside of the engine. The use of a dry-sump oiling system with oiling jets can overcome this obstacle, but the cost of such a modification is likely prohibitive to all but the most serious engine builders. The use of a vacuum pump further increases the complexity of the system and adds to the engine’s overall parasitic power loss.

Exhaust Evacuation

One very inexpensive way to increase crankcase ventilation is to install an exhaust evacuation kit. These kits typically involve installing a breather on each valve cover. The breathers are connected to the exhaust stream, where exhaust flow creates a vacuum to pull in crankcase gasses.

The most obvious problem with this type of system is that it will cause the vehicle to fail any emissions test. This may not be a problem, but these systems also deposit a large amount of oil into the exhaust system in a very short period of time. And finally, many vehicles rely on exhaust system backpressure for proper EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) function. Such systems cannot provide adequate vacuum or air flow under positive pressure.

So it all depends on where the return of the pcv vapors are positioned along the intake. Lucky for us Eaton guys there is a nice large port along the intake plenum and leading to the blower lobes. Being that it’s above the actual compressor portion and post TB it’s always under vacuum, and even as rpms rise. I do run a a Moroso full size oil catch can, it’s very effective at removing aerosolized droplets.

A few months back I did look heavily into that same dual flow pcv with individual (idle/cruise) circuits style valve. However it turned out to be unnecessary for me given the m112 oem plenum design. Also the 1uz design uses a fresh constant “metered” air draw and evacuates crankcase under all idle up to “nearly” wot scenarios helping keep acid levels in the oil low. Combined with modern lubricants detergent pkgs ability to soak up any residual the oe pcv system does a nice job.

The ME Wagner valve looks like a well engineered piece, especially for custom hot rods and where the IM is pressurized on occasion and still the desire to capture passive blowby. Although turbo / centri guys may still need a dedicated check valve in the system, despite that device actually having one already integrated.

I’m not sure what boost threshold is necessary to require a fully vented / passive setup or at least a check valve to keep engine seals happy under boost. I realize ring condition and boost level all play into this.

Last edited by ChampGS3; 01-24-22 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-24-22, 09:36 AM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Any input appreciated .
The dampers I suppose could do a decent job at that dead end position you mentioned, however their flow-through design would make them much less effective in that orientation. Also the rails end plugs and the damper threaded shafts have different sizes so either an adapter bung or tapping & threading those plugs would be necessary. Don’t attempt removing the plugs while mounted unless your willing to risk snapping some injectors and stuff.

Yes I saw that 296rwhp result and while not bad at all for big wheels, no headers and automatic, I still feel the high 12’s and 13’s AFR’s under boost was a bit high, especially for being a non-intercooled setup. Maybe it will do fine in cold dry Canada air but I wouldn’t trust it here in SE USA or perhaps down under. Also they really have no idea what boost they’re actually making. I’m running same 3.5” pulley and seeing ~9 psi depending on barometer and temps.

Not sure but my post above about pcv on these m112 elate setups may be helpful. Let us know when you get to 6 and get a dyno.
Old 01-24-22, 11:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChampGS3
So it all depends on where the return of the pcv vapors are positioned along the intake. Lucky for us Eaton guys there is a nice large port along the intake plenum and leading to the blower lobes. Being that it’s above the actual compressor portion and post TB it’s always under vacuum, and even as rpms rise. I do run a a Moroso full size oil catch can, it’s very effective at removing aerosolized droplets.

A few months back I did look heavily into that same dual flow pcv with individual (idle/cruise) circuits style valve. However it turned out to be unnecessary for me given the m112 oem plenum design. Also the 1uz design uses a fresh constant “metered” air draw and evacuates crankcase under all idle up to “nearly” wot scenarios helping keep acid levels in the oil low. Combined with modern lubricants detergent pkgs ability to soak up any residual the oe pcv system does a nice job.

The ME Wagner valve looks like a well engineered piece, especially for custom hot rods and where the IM is pressurized on occasion and still the desire to capture passive blowby. Although turbo / centri guys may still need a dedicated check valve in the system, despite that device actually having one already integrated.

I’m not sure what boost threshold is necessary to require a fully vented / passive setup or at least a check valve to keep engine seals happy under boost. I realize ring condition and boost level all play into this.
Yep that's what I meant when I said it's easy, what was linked is also what I was basically saying to do if you are running over 10 psi or using a system that doesn't allow for built in PCV function like the Eaton.

I used a centrifugal setup on another engine that requires you to figure it out with the dual separator setup.
Old 01-26-22, 03:52 AM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Awesome , so as I have run a small manifold off that M112 constant vacuum port to run the PCV stock system and the engine vacuum switch I can leave well enough alone ?
At the moment with the slightly bigger than stock pulley I'm running 4.4 Psi and will shortly go up to 6.2 Psi and if I read it all correctly as I will not be going above 7 Psi ever I'm good to go as it is ??
Old 01-26-22, 06:04 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Awesome , so as I have run a small manifold off that M112 constant vacuum port to run the PCV stock system and the engine vacuum switch I can leave well enough alone ?
At the moment with the slightly bigger than stock pulley I'm running 4.4 Psi and will shortly go up to 6.2 Psi and if I read it all correctly as I will not be going above 7 Psi ever I'm good to go as it is ??
Maybe, the stock rods are very weak. Might be fine might not be
Old 01-26-22, 01:17 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

I have it on good authority that the 3uz is safe to 8 Psi regarding conrods .
That is why I will not go past 7 Psi , a little bit of safety built in !!
Old 01-27-22, 03:10 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default 3UZ-FE Connecting Rods

TRD offered a turn-key dealer installed supercharger for the 2UZ-FE (4.7 litre) truck engine, which was abruptly discontinued.

On information, the stock connecting rods on 2UZ-FE were not up to the task.

The 2UZ-FE connecting rods resemble those on the 3UZ-FE.

Located an article comparing differences between connecting rods from those of 1990-1994 1UZ-FE, later 1UZ-FE variants, the 2UZ-FE and 3UZ-FE

https://www.lextreme.com/comparing-l...d-h-beam-rods/

The author suggests 1990-1994 1UZ-FE connecting rods work more reliably in forced induction environments, while the other connecting rods are dicey with forced induction.

Early 1UZFE connecting rods can be substituted in place of 3UZ-FE for more worry free supercharging. Due to different weights, probably will require rebalancing or rotating/reciprocating mass.. ..and...your stock harmonic balancer may not be up to the task of controlling harmonics...

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-27-22 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-28-22, 05:53 AM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Granted these VVTi rods aren't the best for FI, certainly not high boost, however its usually high rpm/ constant redlining, and associated tension loads, that usually leads to rod failures. These rods are pretty well up to the task, as far as compressive loads up to around 500bhp. The piston ring lands on the other hand, not so much. They are simply a few ~0.001"s too tight to allow for proper expansion with higher boost. Particularly if inaudible detonation is occurring, brought on by a combination of excessive IAT's, too lean AFR's, and/or too much timing. Again the rings lands will be the first failure point on a "responsibly" driven car. Don't just take my word for it, Badblkgs already documented this, when his went around 12psi mark, however he was only using Meth injection for intercooling purposes. The rods didn't fail in this circumstance, but surely a turbo hitting 1 bar or even greater, around VE peak 3500-4000 could potentially send a rod or two out the bottom.

The Tundra TRD SC, and resulting 2uz failures, on the other hand are bit of a different matter. TRD did a half *** job for fuel mgmt, went cheap/easy route not using larger primary injectors or even a stronger fuel pump. For fuel enrichment they chose to use only 1-2 auxiliary injectors, which produced unbalanced fuel delivery, and some cylinders went dangerously lean as a result. On top of the unbalanced fuel delivery and TRD box being "piggyback" device, the stock ECU was getting unexpected upstream O2 readings and due to this was adjusting ignition timing wildly at times. Despite this poor tuning approach, the 2UZ engine its iron block, 9.6CR, and just 2 bolt mains, rod failures were generally only happening to those who dropped pulley size, enough to hit ~9psi and higher, all while this system being Non-IC! With many Tundra owners even using 100-150 shots of N20 on top of this Non-IC boost for quite a while before failures occurred. Again poor tuning, along with simply EXCESS was the enemy here, not necessarily weak rods.

Last edited by ChampGS3; 01-28-22 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-28-22, 11:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If you can't stand on the throttle and constantly have to be careful with it what's the point? It should be built to withstand the output without issue or it will blow that one time you stay in it too long.

Quick Reply: Supercharger!