LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Excessive Play in Steering Wheel - Review of Tie Rods & Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 09:19 AM
Fastguynum
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Excessive Play in Steering Wheel - Review of Tie Rods & Wheel Alignment

Update 9/12/2021: I received an email from Mevotech technical support. They provided me with the washer specifications but no measurements for the tabs, which is the issue. I will update the posting with the progress on the resolution.

I've been experiencing a gradual increase in the play in the steering wheel of my 2001 LS430 with 207k miles. It became apparent that I needed to do something about the issue after noting the condition of the front right tire inside edge. I diagnosed the issue to be worn inner tie rod ends, which was fortunate because the rack would have been very expensive. I wanted to use OEM parts but they are cost prohibitive so I settled on Mevotech inner tie rods, RH outer tie rod/ and Moog outer LH tie rod (due to availability) from Rock Auto. I was happy with the quality of the inner tie rods from Mevotech. However, the LOCKING TAB WASHER was too small to fit the shaft coming out of the rack. This is a CAUTION to anyone doing this job with Mevotech inner tie rods. You will be forced to flatten out your original locking tab washers so don't destroy them during removal.

No help on the wrong washers from Mevotech or Rock Auto. Surprise Surprise . . .

I found no wear on my outer tie rods but decided to change them because I had to remove them to install the inner tie rods. The quality of the outer tie rods is questionable from both Mevotech and Moog. First, the design is different from OEM in that the shape of the rod is round instead of square. Second, grease fitting are included but they WILL NOT allow you to grease the joint because they are straight instead of 45 or 90 deg. fittings. You will need to change the fittings provided with the tie rod if you intent to ever grease them.

I recommend OEM parts but the aforementioned tie rods will work for you if you are on a budget.

You can obtain a perfect alignment by using a procedure and calculator from Rob Robinette: https://robrobinette.com/DIYAlignmentCalculator.htm
Tools needed are: jack stands, string, 1/2 electrical conduit and a dial caliper. My results were excellent with the steering wheel perfectly straight and toe at 0.03 deg. Be prepared to spend (3) hours on the alignment if you are working by yourself and are old like me!

Last edited by Fastguynum; 09-12-21 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Update
Old 09-01-21, 12:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Huge mistake with those parts. Mevotech fails a LOT and are generally junk. Use Proforged or OE if you don't want problems, steering is the most important thing of anything on a vehicle.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-01-21 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-06-21, 06:44 AM
Fastguynum
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Huge mistake with those parts. Mevotech fails a LOT and are generally junk. Use Proforged or OE if you don't want problems, steering is the most important thing of anything on a vehicle.
Thanks for the recommendation. I see that the Proforged are the same shape as OEM - that's a good step towards OEM design!