LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Leaky rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21 | 07:41 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Default Leaky rims?

Is there a cure for leaky rims without replacing them? Mine are OEM and both my LS and SC have leaks from the chrome flaking off the bead seat. I know when it comes to resale, having OEM rims will be a plus so I dont want to replace them unless its the ONLY solution.
Old 10-21-21 | 12:40 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Is there a cure for leaky rims without replacing them? Mine are OEM and both my LS and SC have leaks from the chrome flaking off the bead seat. I know when it comes to resale, having OEM rims will be a plus so I dont want to replace them unless its the ONLY solution.
My 06' had the factory chrome rims and this was a common problem on the inside bead where the tire balance weights are mounted with clips on the bead. I stopped using the bite weights and went with taped/glued weights exclusively. This helped for many more years of minimal issues afterwards. The additional fix to the damaged bead was to use a rotary sanding pad on the bead area with an air grinder and flake the larger pieces by hand. After you are down to the alloy under the chrome, I used etching primer in small passes to build a layer of finish over the sanded spots. Once that setup, the tire could be remounted and held air without a problem. After doing this for many years, I start to slowly replace the rims with Sewell Lexus when they had a robust online parts department. In their final years they had a painted rim that had a chrome look, and you couldn't tell the difference from a real chrome rim. I eventually replaced all four with this type wheel and never looked back.

Randy B
Old 10-21-21 | 05:48 AM
DJB04LS430
Driver School Candidate

Smile Had the same issue here...

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I had the same issue and wanted to keep OEM chrome.. after some research, I replaced them with some midnight chrome. I love it. Why would you ever sell?
Old 10-21-21 | 10:31 AM
Romanova
Racer

Discount Tire can clean them up to help the seal. Had this problem on our GX460 with the OEM chrome wheels. Eventually just replaced them with non chrome OEM wheels because the chrome was starting to look bad.