LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What parts to pull?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-21 | 10:18 AM
ZeroFox
Driver School Candidate

Default What parts to pull?

Just wanted to make a quick intro, long time lurker first time poster. I've had my 01 LS 430 ultra lux since 2010. It was all stock and I had it bagged on air runner's a year after I got the car. I popped a bag earlier this year. Pretty damn good lifespan.

Here she is

​​​
anyways, I bought Ron burgundy here as a parts car a year ago for 500 bucks. The previous owner couldn't get it running, idk why but he had the cluster out I think he was trying to disable pats cause her lost the key. I ended up figuring it out after I towed it home. It actually runs pretty good but timing belt should be done soon.The only thing is that it's back taxed and it'll cost 4k to update and register lol. So I was wondering if I could make out by parting it out? What small items would you recommend pulling so I could sell them to get some money back? I just wanna see if it's worth it or not I guess. Thanks guys..

Old 10-30-21 | 11:06 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well assuming it's legal to do so and that they only want a vin registered body back I would take everything. Pull all doors, interior, engine, trans, front and rear subframes, all body panels etc. Should be able to harvest all of that in a few days even without a lift
Old 10-31-21 | 06:33 AM
ZeroFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Striker223
Well assuming it's legal to do so and that they only want a vin registered body back I would take everything. Pull all doors, interior, engine, trans, front and rear subframes, all body panels etc. Should be able to harvest all of that in a few days even without a lift
it's legal to do. I kinda don't wanna strip the car down to frame. I'm rebuilding my
Cobra and lightning and my garage already looks like a chop shop as it is. I was trying to see what small items are worth pulling. Like all 4 mpx window modules, PCM, abs module, that type of stuff. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff im not thinkin of. Like I guess the harder to find items. I didn't pay much for the car and I have it listed for 2k as a running car and no bites yet.
Old 10-31-21 | 07:31 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZeroFox
it's legal to do. I kinda don't wanna strip the car down to frame. I'm rebuilding my
Cobra and lightning and my garage already looks like a chop shop as it is. I was trying to see what small items are worth pulling. Like all 4 mpx window modules, PCM, abs module, that type of stuff. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff im not thinkin of. Like I guess the harder to find items. I didn't pay much for the car and I have it listed for 2k as a running car and no bites yet.
Door lock actuators
interior parts that are in good shape
Trunk and head and tail lights
Entire steering column
The following users liked this post:
ZeroFox (11-02-21)
Old 10-31-21 | 08:15 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZeroFox
Just wanted to make a quick intro, long time lurker first time poster. I've had my 01 LS 430 ultra lux since 2010. It was all stock and I had it bagged on air runner's a year after I got the car. I popped a bag earlier this year. Pretty damn good lifespan.

Here she is

​​​
anyways, I bought Ron burgundy here as a parts car a year ago for 500 bucks. The previous owner couldn't get it running, idk why but he had the cluster out I think he was trying to disable pats cause her lost the key. I ended up figuring it out after I towed it home. It actually runs pretty good but timing belt should be done soon.The only thing is that it's back taxed and it'll cost 4k to update and register lol. So I was wondering if I could make out by parting it out? What small items would you recommend pulling so I could sell them to get some money back? I just wanna see if it's worth it or not I guess. Thanks guys..
What's the story on $4,000 worth of back taxes?
Sounds like they are treating vehicle as real estate where taxes follow the property.
Hawaii? Perhaps worth investigation of shipping rates to the mainland.

ZeroFox (11-02-21)
Old 10-31-21 | 11:06 AM
Aus430
Pole Position

I was goimg to ask the sme thing? What are back taxes for a car?

Would same apply if registered insterstate?

Looks too food to part out if everything is running well.
Old 11-01-21 | 08:57 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

The catalytic converters alone are worth what you paid for the car. Headlights, parking sensors, radar cruise, door panels, air suspension, window shades, ML amp and speakers, anything UL trim really.
ZeroFox (11-02-21)
Old 11-02-21 | 09:04 AM
Romanova
Racer

Sounds like a California thing. Ugh.

Depending on the mileage and condition, you could probably get it running and current on all maintenance and then easily sell it and make a few bucks. If the car is straight, that's a better outcome than parting it our.
ZeroFox (11-02-21)
Old 11-02-21 | 01:23 PM
ZeroFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
What's the story on $4,000 worth of back taxes?
Sounds like they are treating vehicle as real estate where taxes follow the property.
Hawaii? Perhaps worth investigation of shipping rates to the mainland.

​​​​​​Sigh....commie state...but our yearly registration goes by gvw and its about 450 a year for that here.

Itd cost about 800 to ship up to the mainland one way, on a narcaleptic sea turtle.
Old 11-02-21 | 01:38 PM
ZeroFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
Sounds like a California thing. Ugh.

Depending on the mileage and condition, you could probably get it running and current on all maintenance and then easily sell it and make a few bucks. If the car is straight, that's a better outcome than parting it our.
It's got 160k. It actually runs really strong. I compression tested it and the motor is still in top shape. It feels a lot stronger than my silver LS. I had to change the camshaft position sensor so I pulled the cover off, timing belt should probably be done soon. I drove it for a year and motor wise, it's great. The only mechanical issue I've found is that it feels weird intermittently if reversing up a steep hill. Idk it feels like the torque converter maybe locking up? Idk if thats right, but it's only if it's going in reverse and it's gotta be a steep incline..on a flat surface it doesn't do it. And it's got a evap code that I can't find. It's not the airbox or gas tank so it's probably the dreaded canister filter.. body is straight for the most part.

I'd rather sell it whole but I can't believe I'm not getting any bites locally. My garage already looks crazy as it is lol. My neighbors must hate me😂. I'm that one guy on the block who's house looks like a chop shop.

My garage already looks like a scene from the old school Jumanji. It's definitely a mechanics worst nightmare 😅

Old 11-02-21 | 01:43 PM
ZeroFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jharris400
The catalytic converters alone are worth what you paid for the car. Headlights, parking sensors, radar cruise, door panels, air suspension, window shades, ML amp and speakers, anything UL trim really.
Do people buy the stock air suspension stuff? I think I threw mines away when I went with airrunners on my silver one. Those are good suggestions..... I totally forgot about the window shades. Is it worth pulling window regulators?
Old 11-02-21 | 01:50 PM
ZeroFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aus430
I was goimg to ask the sme thing? What are back taxes for a car?

Would same apply if registered insterstate?

Looks too food to part out if everything is running well.
So over here, our yearly registration is 450 for a car of this weight. If the owner I previously bought the car from had just went to the DMV while it wasn't running and before the yearly state registration expired and put the plates I'm storage it would be all good. There would be no back taxes. I wouldn't have to spend the 4k to bring it up to date. And I can't put the plates on storage now, not without paying the 4k. There used to be a rule where if it was over 5 years back taxed, you wouldn't have to pay it. It makes no sense I know but they recently did away with that rule. I guess my states hard up for money as always.