Windshield wiper arm length / tension

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 01:21 PM
white_lx
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Windshield wiper arm length / tension

(Edit: For repair details see post #3.)

The windshield wiper arms (not the wipers) are a 2 part construction on the LS430. The outer part is crimped around inner part to which the spring mounts. I noticed today that there was very little tension on my wipers. When I removed the arms,I noticed that the two parts were somewhat loose and that there was very little tension on the spring as a result. I estimate that the wipers arms had collapsed about 1/4-5/16".

I tapped the inner part out and peened them back in place after which there was significantly more tension on the wiper arms. The wipers work like new again. Vehicle has 417,000 km (~260k miles), so maybe it is time for new arms, but they are rather pricey. If they slip back, I may drill some small holes and use stainless roll-pins to keep them in place. After 'resetting' the length, the adjustment screws on the LH wiper, are also nicely in the middle of the adjustment range again. I had run out of adjustment room and the wipers had been hitting the cowl lately

I thought I'd post this information because it surprised me that there was so little spring tension on the wipers and expected to find broken springs.

Edit: The wiper arms on the GX and LX are also 2 part construction. But they are riveted together. Not sure why Lexus decided to rely on crimping for the LS arms.

Last edited by white_lx; 12-04-21 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-03-21, 04:36 PM
white_lx
Driver

Edit: Mystery solved! The rivets had come out of both wiper arms. I will take them off and re-rivet them; an easy fix. I suggest keeping an eye out for this, as it does affect the wiper performance in bad weather.

Looking at this in a bit more detail. See the picture below from Partsouq.com Their image does show a rivet! There are no rivets on our L&R wiper arms. I'm wondering if this was a running change, or if the part was upgraded later. Anyone else having this issue?

Last edited by white_lx; 12-03-21 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Mystery solved
Old 12-04-21, 03:45 PM
white_lx
Driver

Here are some pictures and insights for anyone with the same issue.

The holes left by the rivets are 3mm, so I replaced the rivets with M3 stainless steel button head screws which fit the holes perfectly. The screws I used had 8mm thread (M3x8), leaving just enough length for a washer and M3 nut on the windshield side.

After installing the small screws, it is time to get the springs back in place. This took quite a bit of effort. I clamped locking pliers on the long side of the spring. Next I stretched the spring,with help of a clamp between the end of the wiper and the side of the locking pliers.

The wiper arm had collapsed about 1/4" as witnessed by the scrapemarks (see 3rd picture below). You may need to adjust the length of the small side-arm accordingly by loosening the two small philips screws (leave them in place for the adjustment, there are slots in the mating part for adjustment).

There is a lot more downward force on the wipers now. Just in time for the snow.

Button head screw replacing factory rivet:

Used M3 nut and washer on the other side.

Scrape marks show collapse of the wiper arm.

Last edited by white_lx; 12-04-21 at 03:57 PM.