LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Original manufacturer for ls 430 rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-21 | 05:16 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Default Original manufacturer for ls 430 rotors

I just ordered my second set (since original purchase in 2010) of Dealer Lexus Rear Rotors for my 2001 LS430. I was curious to know if any member knows definitively what manufacturer makes these rotors for Lexus? I was able to purchase them for $94 each, and am sure there are many aftermarket for way less. I have always gone with factory parts, but never researched the rotors for the actual manufacturer for Lexus... Anyone have any info? I might still need rotors for the fronts. Thanks all.
Old 12-14-21 | 05:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

In the 90's Toyota used to have original rotors made by Mountain, a Japanese brand. On your LS don't know I'll be impressed if someone does.
Old 12-14-21 | 05:30 PM
bradland

My first guess would be Sumitomo…🤔
Calipers are definitely Sumitomo and I ordered front brake pads a few days go and noticed the web page (Bell Lexus) listed them as Sumitomo.

Last edited by bradland; 12-14-21 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (12-15-21)
Old 12-14-21 | 10:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Could be Advics which seems to have a partnership with Sumitomo and others like Aisin and Denso.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
Bocatrip (12-15-21), vannostran (12-19-21)
Old 12-15-21 | 10:11 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Thanks Lex2K and Bradland for your feedback. Instead of starting a new thread.... I have this additional question with regards to changing brake pads....Do you feel it necessary to change Caliper Bolts every time brake work or pads are replaced? I know it's not a big deal, but I happen to change the Caliper Bolts every time the Caliper bolts are removed and of course that equates to approximately $6.71 X 8 whenever addressing both axles for brakes. I was told by my Lexus Parts guy, there is something applied to the threads of the caliper bolts, and whenever they are removed, they SHOULD be replaced. Thoughts?
Old 12-15-21 | 10:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen a type of thread locker (green-ish) on the bolts you are talking about. Of course there is nothing wrong with replacing them but I've never replaced any of those bolts unless they were rusted or damaged. Maybe the parts guy wants to sell you the bolts more than anything.

Bocatrip (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21 | 10:51 AM
bradland

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Thanks Lex2K and Bradland for your feedback. Instead of starting a new thread.... I have this additional question with regards to changing brake pads....Do you feel it necessary to change Caliper Bolts every time brake work or pads are replaced? I know it's not a big deal, but I happen to change the Caliper Bolts every time the Caliper bolts are removed and of course that equates to approximately $6.71 X 8 whenever addressing both axles for brakes. I was told by my Lexus Parts guy, there is something applied to the threads of the caliper bolts, and whenever they are removed, they SHOULD be replaced. Thoughts?
430 caliper bolts are torque to yield fasteners, similar to cylinder head bolts, which are good for one application. You don't need to apply anything to the threads.
Now here's the interesting part- the bolts only need to be removed if you are removing the caliper. The pads can be replaced WITHOUT removing the caliper.
But..., if you're replacing pads the rotors should be either resurfaced or replaced which obviously involves removing the caliper...
Bocatrip (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21 | 12:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You should replace them.....I haven't on mine and I subject them to some seriously hard use with no issues. Use blue locktite on them and RED on the front knuckle bolts
Bocatrip (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21 | 02:29 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for the Caliper Bolt imput. Funny thing is that I just finished talking to the Lexus Parts Guy before picking up my parts tomorrow. . He told me after looking at the new Caliper Bolts, he suggests NOT TO BUY THEM because he noticed they NO LONGER have any evidence of what Lexus would refer to as their Locktite on the threads. He said to reuse the existing ones (which I purchased from Lexus during the last brake job) and if anything use the locktite from the bottle on them. Bradland made an interesting point. If the Calipers are not being removed, no need to replace the bolts. In my case, the front pads are all that will be replaced as the rotors are true and not warped. It's the rears that will be having the rotors replaced. I'll mention it to my Indy and go with his advice. Thanks all....Great Advice!!! You guys are terrific...That's why I'm on this forum for 15 years!
Old 12-15-21 | 02:35 PM
911LE
Instructor

The bolts are torque to yield and are made of aluminum. The factory coating on them is anti-sieze/threadlocker combo. I've seen a bunch of horror stories of the bolts breaking during removal. You shouldn't have an issue reusing them but don't ever plan on removing them again.
Old 12-15-21 | 04:41 PM
Yamae

I just ordered my second set (since original purchase in 2010) of Dealer Lexus Rear Rotors for my 2001 LS430. I was curious to know if any member knows definitively what manufacturer makes these rotors for Lexus? I was able to purchase them for $94 each, and am sure there are many aftermarket for way less. I have always gone with factory parts, but never researched the rotors for the actual manufacturer for Lexus... Anyone have any info? I might still need rotors for the fronts. Thanks all.
The company named Aisin Takaoka is the supplier. It is one of group companies of Aisin. You can find more about the company viewing this.
http://www.at-takaoka.co.jp/english/...uto-brake.html
The following 3 users liked this post by Yamae:
Bocatrip (12-16-21), bradland (12-15-21), StanVanDam (12-21-21)
Old 12-15-21 | 05:05 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Thanks guys for the Caliper Bolt imput. Funny thing is that I just finished talking to the Lexus Parts Guy before picking up my parts tomorrow. . He told me after looking at the new Caliper Bolts, he suggests NOT TO BUY THEM because he noticed they NO LONGER have any evidence of what Lexus would refer to as their Locktite on the threads. He said to reuse the existing ones (which I purchased from Lexus during the last brake job) and if anything use the locktite from the bottle on them. Bradland made an interesting point. If the Calipers are not being removed, no need to replace the bolts. In my case, the front pads are all that will be replaced as the rotors are true and not warped. It's the rears that will be having the rotors replaced. I'll mention it to my Indy and go with his advice. Thanks all....Great Advice!!! You guys are terrific...That's why I'm on this forum for 15 years!
You might need a new parts guy!
As bradland stated, its nothing to do with loctite, the bolts are designed to physically deform when torqued to spec. They stretch slightly, which is why once you remove them you need a new bolt that is not already stretched.
As you mentioned you don't have to worry about that right now if you're only changing pads.
Bocatrip (12-16-21)
Old 12-15-21 | 05:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 911LE
The bolts are torque to yield and are made of aluminum. The factory coating on them is anti-sieze/threadlocker combo. I've seen a bunch of horror stories of the bolts breaking during removal. You shouldn't have an issue reusing them but don't ever plan on removing them again.
They are steel not alum.
Old 12-15-21 | 05:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bradland
430 caliper bolts are torque to yield fasteners, similar to cylinder head bolts, which are good for one application
What does the service manual say for this car? I've done many Toyota and Lexus brake jobs none have ever said to replace these bolts. Head bolts can be re-used the service manuals specifically tell you to measure the length if in spec use them again.

This may not be the case for some engines, has been for all of them I've worked on.
Old 12-15-21 | 06:17 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What does the service manual say for this car? I've done many Toyota and Lexus brake jobs none have ever said to replace these bolts. Head bolts can be re-used the service manuals specifically tell you to measure the length if in spec use them again.

This may not be the case for some engines, has been for all of them I've worked on.
* Non-reusable part.

The only other mention of the bolts is as follows-

The following 2 users liked this post by bradland:
Bocatrip (12-16-21), LeX2K (12-15-21)

Quick Reply: Original manufacturer for ls 430 rotors