LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LED tail light nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 06:19 PM
cdvyas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED tail light nightmare

Hello guys, finally ended up doing a couple of front parking light/side marker bulbs(hard to reach), and when I thought all was fine, the next day, went to check the lights again and noticed the infamous passenger rear tail light (both quarter and trunk mounted) bottom parts stopped working which did act up from time to time but worked fine for a few weeks, the trunk mounted one worked fine 90% of time, but now even that one stopped working and sometimes it's very dim, I bet at night when I drive tomorrow it's going to look hideous! these cars are definitely starting to show age now and I guess the current owners have to shell out a few hundred bucks to fix these stupid things. I have been looking on eBay and offerup for some used units, went to look at one yesterday and the darn thing didn't even work when I got there after driving 30 miles, gotta a call a few junk yards too tomorrow to get some used cheap working tail lights. Has anyone ever successfully repaired their tail light without replacing? How many have had these issues with LED tails blowing up/flickering?
Old 03-06-22, 06:41 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 113 Posts

Best bet is to buy new, most used will be broken.
Old 03-06-22, 08:22 PM
cdvyas
Driver

Originally Posted by pmesfun
Best bet is to buy new, most used will be broken.
Right, but they are half the cost of a timing belt job, not worth it IMHO, but it is what it is and I will keep looking out for deals, and if anyone finds some deal on RH tail light (04-06), please post here. Thanks
Old 03-06-22, 09:27 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 113 Posts

I used to see new OEM taillights for about $190 each on eBay.

On mine the left inner tailight doesn't work most of the time. Its just a beater car as this point so I don't plan on replacing since it passes inspection here in Texas.
Old 03-07-22, 07:40 PM
cdvyas
Driver

Just an update after today's drive, when I was driving today and saw in the reflection of other cars behind me, ALL my tail lights were working fine(after being parked in the sun for a few hours and many cycles of braking)... When I got home and turned the car off, they started acting up again including the other side too when I pushed the brakes and have parking light on at the same time, then when one piece works 100%, the other dims and when other at times dims, the other works fine(All with car off in cold). I think I have an electrical problem in the light wiring and a bad ground somewhere guys! I should say, my car was in a rear end accident before I got it many years back and pretty sure they didn't do the wiring right. Sometimes when I turn the ignition off, the parking lights turn off too with the switch still on... So most of the issues/flickering/partial dimming occur when I have parking light on too along with braking(more load).
Where is the ground for the tail lights? Is it inside the trunk plastic trim?

Last edited by cdvyas; 03-07-22 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-07-22, 09:02 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 902 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by cdvyas
Just an update after today's drive, when I was driving today and saw in the reflection of other cars behind me, ALL my tail lights were working fine(after being parked in the sun for a few hours and many cycles of braking)... When I got home and turned the car off, they started acting up again including the other side too when I pushed the brakes and have parking light on at the same time, then when one piece works 100%, the other dims and when other at times dims, the other works fine(All with car off in cold). I think I have an electrical problem in the light wiring and a bad ground somewhere guys! I should say, my car was in a rear end accident before I got it many years back and pretty sure they didn't do the wiring right. Sometimes when I turn the ignition off, the parking lights turn off too with the switch still on... So most of the issues/flickering/partial dimming occur when I have parking light on too along with braking(more load).
Where is the ground for the tail lights? Is it inside the trunk plastic trim?
Sorry for your trouble. Judging from your symptom, I'd rather think it's the soldering crack issue which is one of common problems among LED tail lights of UCF30/31 manufactured after August 2003. In order to fix it, the re-soldering is needed but it's not easy because the crack is inside of the unit. Some skilled people do it opening the unit. I find many Celsior owners having this problem.

The fixing job can be done by a well skilled DIYer but an ultrasonic cutter is needed to access the board. There are some companies that do the fixing job in Japan like below. I think there must be some in USA.
https://www.goo-net.com/pit/shop/0127230/blog/58838
https://www.k-modest.com/results-blog/535.html
Old 03-09-22, 08:09 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I have been looking for a driver side outer tail light for my '05 LS and shipping one to Canada will cost about $ 500 ... a pretty expensive part !
Old 03-09-22, 10:13 PM
cdvyas
Driver

So far I notice mine works fine when I drive the car lol, when I turn the car off and check, they start acting up until I drive the car and constantly apply brakes and give current to the unit, warmer climate helps greatly with mine, probably needs some better grounding etc. But I hope they keep working when I drive the car so I don't have to replace those darn things.
Old 03-11-22, 06:00 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting thing I have found in exterior LED's. I have tried a few and came to the conclusion that Diode Dynamics KNOWS what they're doing in the LED space. I have bought and tossed several things ;-)

So license plate bulbs you see flickering, brakes, 3rd brakes, turns etc. Just buy from their site they really seem to have the builds down pat. Not some radom Amazon listing, I also got LED's w ballasts for S10 in clearence /refurb that are perfect.

Not sure if I am totally mising the point of your thread, but this site has good quality with the LEDs/customer support etc. Worth the extra $10
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (03-14-22)
Old 05-21-22, 07:48 PM
cdvyas
Driver

Hello, I finally got a pair of good working set of tail lights for my LS430 and have an extra driver side quarter mounted I have no use for. I listed it in the market place, Please have look and let me know if you want it. Willing to work something out if interested. Thanks much.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/986216