LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacing trunk mounted nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 08:47 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Replacing trunk mounted nav unit

My nav system started showing “cannot read dvd” shortly after purchasing the car so today I took it out to inspect/clean it. While plugged in I tried to eject the disk, nothing, tried again with the acc on, nothing. I listened for sounds of the disk spinning or trying to read, nothing. So I unplugged and removed it, cleaned it, plugged it back in and now I’m getting some sort of message saying it’s not connected, with some Japanese writing below it (probably the same message but in Japanese). The plugs are all secured in place. I ordered another that’s guaranteed to be working with the most current dvd, same part #. I know it’s dated and I plan on upgrading the head unit anyway but it just bugs me that it’s not working.
My question is do I have to do anything with the new one other than plug it in? Any specific steps or anything I should know?

Last edited by JaySco; 03-17-22 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Words
Old 03-18-22, 08:32 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

since I installed the most recent dvd, my unit does not read the disc at first
after I shift into reverse and back to drive it reads fine
update was 1bout $13 on ebay, but somebody is really selling the 2004 disc for $50
smh
Old 03-19-22, 04:33 AM
JaySco
Intermediate

Unfortunately mine hasn’t fixed itself after shifting from reverse. Anyone??…just plug in and call it good or what?
Old 03-19-22, 06:49 AM
Yamae

Received 886 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by JaySco
My nav system started showing “cannot read dvd” shortly after purchasing the car so today I took it out to inspect/clean it. While plugged in I tried to eject the disk, nothing, tried again with the acc on, nothing. I listened for sounds of the disk spinning or trying to read, nothing. So I unplugged and removed it, cleaned it, plugged it back in and now I’m getting some sort of message saying it’s not connected, with some Japanese writing below it (probably the same message but in Japanese). The plugs are all secured in place. I ordered another that’s guaranteed to be working with the most current dvd, same part #. I know it’s dated and I plan on upgrading the head unit anyway but it just bugs me that it’s not working.
My question is do I have to do anything with the new one other than plug it in? Any specific steps or anything I should know?
> some Japanese writing
Sorry for your trouble. If you were OK to provide me the photo of that Japanese writing, I'd translate it.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (03-21-22)
Old 03-20-22, 12:00 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yamae
> some Japanese writing
Sorry for your trouble. If you were OK to provide me the photo of that Japanese writing, I'd translate it.
Sure thing. The message has changed but it’s still not working. Here it is:

and note that the same disk is still inserted, I never could remove it.
Old 03-21-22, 07:57 AM
Yamae

Received 886 Likes on 668 Posts

"正しい地図ディスクを挿入して下さい" means "Please insert the correct map disk".
So it's the same meaning with the English message above.

As far as I have experienced the same problem with Toyota genuine navigation DVD systems, this message appears when an incorrect DVD is inserted or simply the correct DVD is not recognized. This usually happens when the read out signal from the read head is weak. This problem is often caused by the aged laser LED. A laser LED emits less infrared energy as it ages and someday it becomes not OK to read the data on the DVD. It usually needs to replace the laser unit to fix. But I often use a technique to fix this without replacing the laser unit. It is to increase the current to the LED. There is a potentiometer to adjust the current and rotate it some until the DVD is recognized. This method is not always effective but more than 50% of Toyota genuine DVD navigation units became OK again to read. I'm an EE guy and this method may not be for everyone, I must add.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 01:14 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

Interesting, maybe I’ll play with it to see if i can get it to work again. Thank you.
The new one should be here tomorrow, fingers crossed that it works.