LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Going from custom exhaust, back to factory exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22 | 09:37 AM
HiPatrick
Driver

Default Going from custom exhaust, back to factory exhaust?

Hi guys,

It has been two years since I have had a custom setup installed on my 2004 model. To sum it up quickly, I do reckon I have had my fair share of fun with the sound and presence of it, but I would ideally like to return to a quiet car again. I guess my preference has ultimately changed or done a complete 180.

The thing is, the setup involves a lot of removed parts that I do not have available to me anymore. The setup runs as:
- angle cut tips (forgot the size, but a bit bigger than factory)
- aftermarket small bodied mufflers
- middle resonator deleted
- X-pipe installed (Y-pipe removed)
- Third Catalytic converter deleted (Now, I like this in a way that there is no foul egg smell on throttle)

The sound is loud and produces a nice warm tone. I do feel as if there has been loss in the low-end torque, because I specifically remember when I first got the car, that the torque would be that type that would throw you into the seat.

I spoke with the guy that did the setup in the first place about going back to "quiet" levels or close to factory, he suggested bolting on some "quiet mufflers" or something on the lines of that. I'm under the impression that it won't be as quiet as I would like, which leaves me with no other choice but to locate a wrecker that has one of these cars sitting there, and to somehow get a hold of the factory mufflers, Y-Pipe and whatever else that I need to return it back to stock. The thing is I am not located in the United States, so parts are quite hard to come by here, and I do not know if I will be overpaying or not for these parts used.

My intention is to purchased the exhaust components from the scrapyard, and have a shop install the parts and have them provide whatever piping is needed.

Does this sound like a possibility, or will the exhaust never sound the same as it did when I first got the car? I do remember it being near hybrid quiet and sometimes even hard to tell if the car was even on.