Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 02:02 AM
usedname
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation Replacing front shocks w OE - confirm parts

I have a 2004 LS.

Quick question regarding replacing OE struts:

1. I see multiple part numbers. From reading, it seems like Lexus switched manufacturers around 2003, so certain shocks are direct replacements for 2001-2003, and others are for 2003-2006. This means no fitment issues, right? The earlier ones are about $50 cheaper.

2. I heard that it's best to replace the strut mounts, but they are pricey - almost the same price as the shock itself - $140 each. If I am not bothering to replace the strut mount, do I really need to replace the rubber insulator (part 5)?

Old 04-08-22, 05:26 AM
koreywill
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't give you an answer but when you receive the answer you're looking for, and you're ready to order, keep this in mind: As long as you have a lot of time to plan your rebuild I would suggest you get your parts from www.amayama.com . They supply OEM parts to Lexus and Toyota vehicles but the parts come from multiple countries overseas. Get your VIN, go to the site, and then plug in the VIN. You'll see that the prices are way lower than what you can get here in the US. Shipping fees are high. However, if you get your parts all from one place the shipping cost per part drops lower. It will take some time to get your parts, that's for sure. I've ordered parts for my ES from them multiple times and have always found the total price, including shipping, to be about 30% lower than anywhere else. Stick to OEM as much as you can and you won't be disappointed in the quality of your ride. Good luck!
Old 04-08-22, 08:13 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

The fitment is the same from '01-06. The reason you see two parts listed is the '01-03 struts were a twin tube design and the '04-06 struts were a monotube design.
Old 04-08-22, 08:38 AM
usedname
Pit Crew

@911LE is one significantly better than the other?

@koreywill thanks, that website does appear to be cheaper. I might just go ahead and get strut mounts, engine and transmissions moints as well. Maybe even lower ball joints. Waiting on their shipping quote.
Old 04-08-22, 08:46 AM
koreywill
Pit Crew

usedname: don't let the shipping costs scare you (and they most likely will!) because when you add up the costs of parts from a dealer plus shipping the dealer will most likely be 20-30% higher. Some have mentioned an import fee or other fees. I've never been tagged with any of those - just shipping and parts costs. Shipping is slow but it will get to you. Good luck.

Last edited by koreywill; 04-08-22 at 08:47 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-08-22, 09:33 AM
usedname
Pit Crew

Actually my last order was from Bell Lexus and shipping is free, and their prices are better than the other places I've checked online. But even so, amayama is a bit cheaper overall.

PS How slow is their cheap shipping? Is it really 2 months?
Old 04-08-22, 09:54 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

I'd go with KYB Excel-G. I've tried all of them and found they ride identical to OEM 04-06 struts. 01-03 struts are soft but pair well with the 01-03 springs
Old 04-08-22, 10:26 AM
usedname
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pmesfun
I'd go with KYB Excel-G. I've tried all of them and found they ride identical to OEM 04-06 struts. 01-03 struts are soft but pair well with the 01-03 springs
I thought I'd read a few negative reviews (inevitable probably, as with most things) regarding KYB replacements. How long have you had yours?
Old 04-08-22, 10:35 AM
koreywill
Pit Crew

usedname: Regarding amayama shipping: If I remember correctly most of my orders came within 3 weeks. I did have one that took 4 weeks. Never two months.
The following users liked this post:
usedname (04-08-22)
Old 04-08-22, 12:39 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Originally Posted by usedname
I thought I'd read a few negative reviews (inevitable probably, as with most things) regarding KYB replacements. How long have you had yours?
I have original springs in the front with KYB Excel-g for the past 2 years and 35K miles. Rears I have OEM 01-03 struts and springs for the past 1 year and 18K miles. The Excel-g struts do take some time to break in or settle probably 1K miles where the OEM struts ride very nice out of the box
The following users liked this post:
usedname (04-08-22)
Old 04-08-22, 02:59 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by usedname
I've had no issues with the kyb Excel g. New struts make an instant improvement.

Infact the original struts had KYB as well as Toyota stamped on them so I'd say there is a good chance that they are likely to be identical to OE - because the tooling is unlikely to have changed.

As for strut mounts, I reused mine, however if you do decide to replace them make sure they are OE from somewhere like amayama or similar as the aftermarket mounts I've seen aren't of equivalent quality.

Another point is if you are also considering ball joints, you may as well just bite the bullet and do upper and lower control arms at the same time. It's inevitable you'll likely need to soon anyway.

I replaced bits one by one as they needed attention > struts, 6 months later upper control arms, 4 months later rear lower control arm bush, 8 months later lower control arm.... ok for cash flow, but in retrospect I would have done the lot in one go and be done with it.

The steering feel improved heaps with the control arm.
Old 04-14-22, 03:18 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a question: is it a good idea to put oem 01-03 sport shocks on oem non-sport springs? I also have oem sport springs too that are shorter, just curious about the possible result.
Old 04-14-22, 10:59 AM
916LS
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by beercan
I have a question: is it a good idea to put oem 01-03 sport shocks on oem non-sport springs? I also have oem sport springs too that are shorter, just curious about the possible result.

I have an 04 Sport. I replaced all 4 of my shocks with the 01-03 Sport shocks and it was significantly cheaper. There is thread on here. It rides perfect. I got my parts from mylparts.com and used discount code CL5 to get 10% off. Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-22, 11:34 AM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

I have original springs in the front with KYB Excel-g for the past 2 years and 35K miles. Rears I have OEM 01-03 struts and springs for the past 1 year and 18K miles. The Excel-g struts do take some time to break in or settle probably 1K miles where the OEM struts ride very nice out of the box
I'm not exactly following the logic here. I think it's safe to assume your OE struts were not new when you replaced them. You're comparing new Excel struts, which apparently act differently in the first 1k miles, to used OE struts.
Old 04-14-22, 12:47 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

I used new Excel-G in the front and new OEM in the rear

Quick Reply: Replacing front shocks w OE - confirm parts