LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Questions about replacement head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 02:10 AM
Alyusx
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about replacement head unit

Good day guys, I am new owner of a 2006 LS430 and I am happy to be in this club with people that appreciate this car greatness and I really wish we could be friends that share the same passion and affection to this car.
I recently bought this car and I absolutely love it, but I want to change the head unit with a high end unit to make it look Modern inside, and want to know if there is anyone that has done it, and here are few questions that I hope to find their answers here:

1) does it need to change the amplifier along with the head unit?

2) What features will be lost with the navigation unit other than ac control?

3) Can I put an AC controller for 2001-2003 to it so I can use it as alternate for the Navigation screen?

Is there a way to regain some other features that has been lost (if existed)

Here is the unit that I hope to install in my car

Kenwood DNR1007XR
Old 05-11-22, 02:15 PM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

One thing I found is that using the Beatsonic Adapter $250(?) helps greatly with getting new units to work in these cars. Yes the stock sub etc all work great with an aftermaket unit. I think you lose Fade front to rear as functionality w Beatsonic. But othersise a new head unit is plug and play! I also detailed how to tap and wire up a newer backup camera if you want to go crazy.

That is ALOT if screen :-)

And for the wheel stereo controls, I think guys have custom pinned out an adapter to get those working. But I am OK w unit controls.
Pioneer AVIC 8600
The following users liked this post:
Alyusx (05-14-22)
Old 05-12-22, 12:42 AM
JaySco
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

You won’t have to remove the nav unit when replacing the stereo. The Beat Sonic kit ($400) comes with a double din relocation plate as shown here.

All functions of the nav unit remain. Some people try to replace the nav screen with an Android unit, usually with mixed results. You can keep the factory amp if you wish. I didn’t.
Alyusx (05-14-22)
Old 05-12-22, 05:00 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Android units are only hit or miss if you don't look closely at the specifications and seller. You need the latest 8 core CPUs and at least 4GB of RAM. New units offer up to 8GB of RAM, which is what I would go with. 8 core units with sufficient RAM will be able to run Apple CarPlay/Android Auto flawlessly with no lag. The latest units also have built-in CarPlay and wired Android auto.

You must buy from a reputable source (EKIY or Teyes on AliExpress). DO NOT buy a random unit from Ebay or resale on Facebook marketplace etc. Why? There is a specific CANBUS and specific cables that each unit needs to successfully connect to your model. 01-03, 04-06, nav and non-nav, are all different. If you have any issues with connection, these sellers are known to provide prompt support and can send you software updates as needed to ensure everything works.

I spent a lot of time researching these units, more than I would like to admit. I've heard all the arguments for and against them, and yet believe they are the best, most cost-efficient solution. They are plug and play (01-03 models need to splice one wire, 04-06 do not), retain most of the OE look (if you want to retain a 20 year old, low res screen, then go with GROM VLine or VAISTech), have 99% audio fidelity (at very low or very high volumes they introduce some static), and you will need to wire in a new back-up camera. They are not 100% perfect, but neither are any of the other solutions, each requires some compromise.

Here is another post I've made on ClubLexus regarding these units: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post11252985

Last edited by nvwls; 05-12-22 at 01:57 PM.
Alyusx (05-13-22)
Old 05-12-22, 09:17 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nvwls
Android units are only hit or miss if you don't look closely at the specifications and seller…

I spent a lot of time researching these units, more than I would like to admit.
You seem to have better knowledge than most on these units. Not to derail this thread but I have a question for you. Is it possible to keep my new Kenwood head unit for sound and use one of these
Android units just to update the factory nav screen to have a more modern (better resolution) look? Can two devices be hooked to one phone at the same time? Ie; have CarPlay on the Android for map and CarPlay on the stereo for music?
Old 05-13-22, 12:39 AM
Alyusx
5th Gear

Thank you guys, I see alot of choices and mixed up opinions here which is basically good thing, but at the end I guess have to go with the (Beatsonic) which I most likely am gonna buy eventually, I really like how clean it look with the android unit replacing the NAV screen but I guess I am gonna keep it as stock as possible and go with a second screen down, another question (if I thought of changing the Amplifier do I have to tweak something within it or just connect it with the new 2Din stereo?)
Old 05-13-22, 05:35 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JaySco
You seem to have better knowledge than most on these units. Not to derail this thread but I have a question for you. Is it possible to keep my new Kenwood head unit for sound and use one of these
Android units just to update the factory nav screen to have a more modern (better resolution) look? Can two devices be hooked to one phone at the same time? Ie; have CarPlay on the Android for map and CarPlay on the stereo for music?
I haven't used the Beatsonic or Axxess harnesses (assuming you used one of these) and which plugs they use so I can't confirm. These work similar to GROM USB3 by essentially tapping into your CD changer for audio control/input your original NAV unit plugs for AC control. I *believe* GROM USB3 and this unit use different plugs for the CD changer, so there is a possibility you could plug both in, but I don't know enough technical AV to confirm whether you'd experience interference or any issues. I'm just curious, what benefits does the Kenwood unit have sound-wise?

iPhones cannot connect to CarPlay on two different devices AFAIK.
Old 05-13-22, 06:08 AM
Alyusx
5th Gear

Android units are only hit or miss if you don't look closely at the specifications and seller. You need the latest 8 core CPUs and at least 4GB of RAM. New units offer up to 8GB of RAM, which is what I would go with. 8 core units with sufficient RAM will be able to run Apple CarPlay/Android Auto flawlessly with no lag. The latest units also have built-in CarPlay and wired Android auto.

You must buy from a reputable source (EKIY or Teyes on AliExpress). DO NOT buy a random unit from Ebay or resale on Facebook marketplace etc. Why? There is a specific CANBUS and specific cables that each unit needs to successfully connect to your model. 01-03, 04-06, nav and non-nav, are all different. If you have any issues with connection, these sellers are known to provide prompt support and can send you software updates as needed to ensure everything works.

I spent a lot of time researching these units, more than I would like to admit. I've heard all the arguments for and against them, and yet believe they are the best, most cost-efficient solution. They are plug and play (01-03 models need to splice one wire, 04-06 do not), retain most of the OE look (if you want to retain a 20 year old, low res screen, then go with GROM VLine or VAISTech), have 99% audio fidelity (at very low or very high volumes they introduce some static), and you will need to wire in a new back-up camera. They are not 100% perfect, but neither are any of the other solutions, each requires some compromise.

Here is another post I've made on ClubLexus regarding these units: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post11252985

Sorry I didn't read your reply well, I really like how good the car looks in the picture and I really hope to make it look like this, but most of what I see on the Internet are some losses of functions with these Android units, I would definitely go with the android if there is (quality unit) that will still have all controls of AC front and behind with other functions as well, I really don't care about the (camera connection loss or the old navigation function loss) but I do care about the sensors functionality it Will be the best looking with modern techs combined if these functions will still work with it, sorry again for not reading your whole reply and I really hope you enlight me with these info if possible!
Old 05-13-22, 07:41 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Alyusx
Sorry I didn't read your reply well, I really like how good the car looks in the picture and I really hope to make it look like this, but most of what I see on the Internet are some losses of functions with these Android units, I would definitely go with the android if there is (quality unit) that will still have all controls of AC front and behind with other functions as well, I really don't care about the (camera connection loss or the old navigation function loss) but I do care about the sensors functionality it Will be the best looking with modern techs combined if these functions will still work with it, sorry again for not reading your whole reply and I really hope you enlight me with these info if possible!
The post I linked answers these questions and more. The android unit retains all functionality except OE subwoofer volume control and OE back up camera.
Alyusx (05-14-22)
Old 05-15-22, 11:40 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

I'm just curious, what benefits does the Kenwood unit have sound-wise?

iPhones cannot connect to CarPlay on two different devices AFAIK.
I honestly didn’t look into the sound differences before hand as I wasn’t too interested in the tablet style nav replacement. I’m old and to me those are tech gadgets that I don’t have interest in, I can’t even tell you the RAM/ROM/GB etc of my home computer. I do know audio though and I know that RMS/peak wattage and pre-amp voltage are important in sound quality and output. The Kenwood unit clearly lists all those numbers (and more) whereas of the two Android units you recommended only one even gave a single wattage number.
I can’t say that mine sounds better, but I know it delivers exactly what I was expecting out of my car audio system. Plus extra tech gadget stuff that I’ll learn to use someday.
Didnt mean to include that last part of the quote, but thanks for the info
nvwls (05-16-22)
Old 05-17-22, 12:50 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JaySco
I honestly didn’t look into the sound differences before hand as I wasn’t too interested in the tablet style nav replacement. I’m old and to me those are tech gadgets that I don’t have interest in, I can’t even tell you the RAM/ROM/GB etc of my home computer. I do know audio though and I know that RMS/peak wattage and pre-amp voltage are important in sound quality and output. The Kenwood unit clearly lists all those numbers (and more) whereas of the two Android units you recommended only one even gave a single wattage number.
I can’t say that mine sounds better, but I know it delivers exactly what I was expecting out of my car audio system. Plus extra tech gadget stuff that I’ll learn to use someday.
Didnt mean to include that last part of the quote, but thanks for the info
In the spirit of learning and leaving no stone unturned...I found some info about the amplifier used: https://www.st.com/en/automotive-inf.../tda7851a.html
  • 4 x 48 W/4 Ω Max.
  • 4 x 28 W/4 Ω @ 14.4 V, 1 kHz, 10 %
  • 4 x 72 W/2 Ω Max.
Although not listed on their spec sheet, I was able to find that the RMS max is 28W. Not bad it seems?

Also, awesome audio rebuild thread, I need to tackle my old *** ML speakers soon.
Old 05-18-22, 04:15 AM
JaySco
Intermediate

In the spirit of learning and leaving no stone unturned...I found some info about the amplifier used: https://www.st.com/en/automotive-inf.../tda7851a.html
  • 4 x 48 W/4 Ω Max.
  • 4 x 28 W/4 Ω @ 14.4 V, 1 kHz, 10 %
  • 4 x 72 W/2 Ω Max.
Although not listed on their spec sheet, I was able to find that the RMS max is 28W. Not bad it seems?

Also, awesome audio rebuild thread, I need to tackle my old *** ML speakers soon.
Thank you, I’m quite pleased with it.