LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Delay in going reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-22, 11:02 AM
tiffany16
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Delay in going reverse

From March this year, I started to notice that a delay in reverse after the car had been parked for a day. At that time, I thought it was only an isolated, random incident. From June, this delay became more frequent, about once a week or every other week.

A few weeks ago, I went back to the dealer for a 145k mile service. The day after, the check engine light was on. They turned off the light and said that they pulled a code related to transmission. They seem not interested in working on an old car and referred me to an independent shop specialized in Toyota. I have scheduled an appointment for next week to see what this shop will find out. Just a few days ago, the car did not even go in reverse after start up unless I stepped the gas pedal. However, when the car is warmed up, it doesn't have any problems in going reverse. As of this moment, the car still accelerates smoothly and drives like butter.

This is what is speculated by the dealer
1) Not enough transmission fluid OR
2) Solenoids not working

They suggested to replace the entire transmission unit instead of rebuilding a particular solenoid, because according to their experience, when one starts to go bad, others will follow in just a matter of time. Typically it is a $6000 job. My car is a 2003 LS with 146k miles. Not sure if this is a myth or a fact. My dad actually was against the idea of replacing transmission fluid if this had never been done before by the previous owner, saying that it could cause more harm than good. Initially I thought those were master Lexus techs so what could go wrong? They said replacing transmission fluid should be a part of regular maintenance.

I am fully aware of the fact that the repair may cost more than the actual worth of the car. I moved from 460 to 430 because I wanted to stay away from technology and reliability issues. Understanding my car is 19 years old, and probably near, if not the end of its life, it may not seem to be wise to spend such fortune. If anyone had similar experience, please kindly share your thoughts or suggestions. Before I forgot, I left the car parked in garage for a few months during the time I left town to handle my family issues, not sure if this would matter.

Thank you
Tiffany

Last edited by tiffany16; 08-12-22 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-12-22, 07:45 PM
largenoogs
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally I'd be checking fluid level and doing a drain and fill before heading toward solenoids and certainly well before replacing the transmission. Drain and fill at my Lexus shop cost me $150. I'll do it every 30K or so.
The following users liked this post:
nvwls (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 04:48 PM
Lxsdrvr
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by largenoogs
Personally I'd be checking fluid level and doing a drain and fill before heading toward solenoids and certainly well before replacing the transmission. Drain and fill at my Lexus shop cost me $150. I'll do it every 30K or so.
Agree with this. I picked up my 2004 a few months ago and one of the first things I did was a drain and fill. I plan to do them every 30k or so as well. My car has a little delay shifting from reverse but it's not bad. It used to "jump" a bit shifting from R to D but that has smoothed out lately.