LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What life expectancy should one expect out of OEM replacement Air Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-22 | 07:52 AM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Default What life expectancy should one expect out of OEM replacement Air Struts?

Air Struts are such a controversial topic here. What life expectancy should one expect out of OEM replacement Air Struts? Would buying a car with 65k miles on new replacements be a bad idea?
Old 10-04-22 | 08:03 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Are you saying that the air struts were replaced 65k miles ago? The life of any car suspension part depends, partially on how the car was driven, the condition of the roads and how the rest of the suspension was/is maintained. To give you a very broad answer, air struts can last 60-150k, maybe more maybe less. Your question may seem simple, but the answer depends on so many factors. You do have the option to convert to standard, non air struts for a low price compared to air shocks.
Old 10-04-22 | 08:08 AM
ontheroad
Intermediate

This would be a car I was thinking of buying where fronts were done at 40k miles, rear right, compressor done at 50k and the car has 104k on it. From Texas, elderly couple, one owner. I need the air suspension for medical reasons. Yup and I could always switch over to regular but I dont know how the ride will be. Thanks!
Old 10-04-22 | 09:23 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Always get a prepurchase mechanical inspection on a used car. The more documentation you can find regarding maintenance, the better to make uninformed choice. Go to drivers.lexus website and enter the VIN number for dealer recorded work. Something to consider is the "sticky dash" that can occur on older LS models. If the work was done, great.
Old 10-04-22 | 09:26 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Is this an LS460 or an LS430? I just looked at some of your previous posts and they were about an LS430.
Old 10-04-22 | 02:11 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I replaced mine at 150k, however, rear left was replaced when the car had 10k or so miles on it according to Lexus records.
Old 10-04-22 | 02:16 PM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Rats Im in the wrong forum, yes for a 430. But Im sure they are the same. Yea so thats weird too replaced at 10k, kinda like the one Im looking at.
Drivers.lexus is amazing I can see the whole history of the car. The air struts on my 460 were kinda stiff but the ride height wasnt working and they may have been stuck in sport mode.
I'd go the Arnott struts if they failed although they dont have dampening adjustment Iv heard. Quick Reply
Old 10-04-22 | 03:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If you are the same person I'm thinking of with the hearing/tinnitus issue then you may want to consider an extremely soft sprung Buick model if the goal is the absolute softest ride.
Old 10-04-22 | 04:01 PM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Striker223
If you are the same person I'm thinking of with the hearing/tinnitus issue then you may want to consider an extremely soft sprung Buick model if the goal is the absolute softest ride.
Thanks, yea thats me. So I was thinking of a Buick Lacrosse but they are apparently not the Buicks of old, firmer. But I was also thinking of a 2010-11 Lincoln Town car. Would that be quite enough or like the Buick, seems maybe better? The Lexus might be quieter? My real problem is shock and vibration, steering wheel, seat floor.
Old 10-04-22 | 04:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ontheroad
Thanks, yea thats me. So I was thinking of a Buick Lacrosse but they are apparently not the Buicks of old, firmer. But I was also thinking of a 2010-11 Lincoln Town car. Would that be quite enough or like the Buick, seems maybe better? The Lexus might be quieter? My real problem is shock and vibration, steering wheel, seat floor.
The LTC is extremely soft, even the new Lacrosse is softer than any LS and almost as quiet believe it or not....another good option would be a ES300h if you are looking to have nearly zero vibrations in most situations
Old 10-04-22 | 07:28 PM
ontheroad
Intermediate

The LTC is extremely soft, even the new Lacrosse is softer than any LS and almost as quiet believe it or not....another good option would be a ES300h if you are looking to have nearly zero vibrations in most situations
Cool thanks I really needed input. I'v heard people complain the Lacrosse isnt the boat Buick used to be and the ride is a bit firmer. I could only afford a 2012-2015 maybe. They have active noise canceling which might or might not be good for tinnitus.

I test drove a 2009 es350 and got a bad spike as it was vibrating. But I also noticed it was to hard on the bumps, shock just transferred to cabin. Hybrid would be nice but those batteries are expensive and the 300h most likely would have similar ride to the es350.

Lacrosse would be quieter than TC? Town Car has rear air shocks, but Lacrosse has more modern suspension. Which would be better?
Old 10-04-22 | 07:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ontheroad
Cool thanks I really needed input. I'v heard people complain the Lacrosse isnt the boat Buick used to be and the ride is a bit firmer. I could only afford a 2012-2015 maybe. They have active noise canceling which might or might not be good for tinnitus.

I test drove a 2009 es350 and got a bad spike as it was vibrating. But I also noticed it was to hard on the bumps, shock just transferred to cabin. Hybrid would be nice but those batteries are expensive and the 300h most likely would have similar ride to the es350.

Lacrosse would be quieter than TC? Town Car has rear air shocks, but Lacrosse has more modern suspension. Which would be better?
ANC is not good for tinnitus since while they make it so you can't hear the outside tones they still generate sonic pressure to do so, I also have the same issue in my left ear from shooting damage and ANC with no audio playing in a headset will set it off for me sometimes.

The LTC is likely going to be softer than the Lacrosse overall in terms of transferred shocks but the engine is not as isolated, try both?
Old 10-05-22 | 05:57 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

I've had 4 town cars, a 92, 93, 99, and an 06. If you are looking for a pillow soft ride they are a good choice.
Old 10-05-22 | 06:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The thing about the Town Car is its body on frame, being body on frame it might be more isolated from the type of vibrations that bother you. Its the only somewhat modern car you can buy that is BOF.
Old 10-05-22 | 08:28 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

This poor guy has been posting about car vibrations since July of 2022. It seems that more responses and opinions aren't helping and possibly making things more confusing. I sincerely hope he finds what he needs soon. In the spirit of helping, low profile tires are going to transmit more vibrations. Many luxury cars come with wheel options from 18"-20", look for 18". Then research tires on tire rack for the best tire to suit your needs.

Last edited by swfla; 10-05-22 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: What life expectancy should one expect out of OEM replacement Air Struts?