Old 12-16-22, 09:06 PM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Ignition key not locking / I damaged my starter

On a recent thread,
"Ignition not locking even with no key detected plus more...",

I wrote that after a jumped, dead battery:

I pull into driveway and turn off car and thinking to save battery charge overnight, I turn off the keyless start by pressing button under dash --, I have done that before when I am away for a while. Then on a whim I try to start car and it turns over (without starting) WITHOUT INSERTNG KEY! What the heck? I take key WAY out of car and it still does this. Reenable keyless start and I press ignition switch in and see "key not detected" (correct) but it turns! seems to not start (suspect there is a fuel cutoff separate from key lock of ignition switch).

Car started at one point too with a horrible post-start grind momentarily. I am actually not sure what the mode was (keyless on or off, was key in the switch when I turned it etc.)

Update:
Dealer fixed the non-locking... He claims that when you turn off smart key (or on?) under the dash, you need to insert key while doing so. I have never had to do this, but perhaps he was right that it reset my car after the bad battery. In any case the ignition barrel locks again properly.

However, in trying to start the car momentary when it turned without key, I believe I damaged the starter motor. It starts but does not regularly disengage, hence the grinding. Dealer told me I need a new starter. I will ask him to replace battery first and reconfirm. If they are honest and it is still grinding on start, then either tring to start with a dead battery of my turning over engine to test the broken barrel lock without they key may have trashed the starter. An expensive mistake on my part. Not a good week. new starter, tires with lower than expected miles, struts of some form (as per my other post). I still love my car but it I hope I am good for a while. All I don't need now are door locks going bad on my ultra... The starter is the most egregious issue, if it keeps grinding like that. It had not the other day when I drove to dealer, but did the night before...