LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Alright I've had enough of this - how do I disconnect headrest motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 05:19 PM
usedname
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Alright I've had enough of this - how do I disconnect headrest motor?

I move the seat back and forth all the time, because I often sit in my car to drink coffee and read. I hate how the headrest always moves up.

Anyone know how to disable/disconnect the motor?
Old 01-07-23, 07:57 PM
thellmer
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You need to calibrate/initialize the seats so that the memory remembers everything including the headrest. Every time the battery has been disconnected you have to calibrate the drivers seat (and the passenger seat if you have the UL which also has passenger memory buttons). To re-calibrate the seat(s) put the key in the ignition and turn the car to ON but not started. Standing outside the car press and hold the recline button to the forward position until it stops moving forward, push the seat mover switch fully forward until it stops moving, fully raise the seat height and headrest to their highest position until they stop moving. Next do the opposite, seat recline fully backwards until it stops, seat mover itself full backwards until it stops, headrest fully down, and seat height fully down until they stop. Now turn the key off. Next, turn the key back on and set everything like you like it - seat, headrest, mirrors, steering wheel, seatbelt height, etc...then press and hold the SET button on the door and press the #1 (or 2 or 3 whichever) until it beeps. Voila. That should cause it to remember everything and not mess with your headrest from now on (until the next time you disconnect the battery).
The following users liked this post:
jonathan58 (01-09-23)
Old 01-07-23, 08:50 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Why is your headrest moving? It should only move if you are actuating the switch for it, or if you are using your memory settings and have it saved in a different position than you want it.

*Edit* - turns out it does move on its own. Hard for me to notice since I am 6'4 and always have it all the way up.

Last edited by YoshiMan; 01-08-23 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-07-23, 11:44 PM
usedname
Pit Crew

Uh, do you guys not realize your headrest moves up in response to moving the seat back on its track? I already have memory settings, but sometimes I just need to move the seat back or forward and the headrest moves up every time you move back.
Old 01-08-23, 07:10 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 168 Posts

I experience that as well and very annoying. I immediately have to push the button to stop and put back down. This was a problem that was never corrected by Lexus.
Old 01-08-23, 08:36 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 645 Posts

It does the same thing on a 4th gen also, drives me nucking futz but I've learned just not to move the seat, ilfe is to short to let a piece of machinery get the better of you.
Old 01-08-23, 07:39 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Originally Posted by usedname
Uh, do you guys not realize your headrest moves up in response to moving the seat back on its track? I already have memory settings, but sometimes I just need to move the seat back or forward and the headrest moves up every time you move back.
Honestly, I DIDN'T know that it does that, because I am 6'4" and always have it in the highest position no matter what! I just figured it would be the same as my old LS400.

I actually just snatched the keys and had to go see it myself. Mine even goes up on its own if you scooch the seat forward as well.

I edited my last post to reflect this.

Last edited by YoshiMan; 01-08-23 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-09-23, 07:00 AM
thellmer
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Huh. Guess I've never paid attention to that and also never move my seat. lol. Perhaps as a workaround set memory position 3 as your coffee and a book position and use that instead of the buttons? lol
BigBoomer (01-09-23)
Old 01-09-23, 09:20 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Honestly what I would try is to get to the recline switch that also controls the headrest, try unplugging it, and then move the seat forward and back and see if it still does it.

If it works, then perhaps digging a little deeper and disconnecting the wires for the headrest motor from the switch would be the way to go. Maybe with a quick disconnect so you can put it back to factory in a moments notice.

That would probably be the least invasive way to do it without tearing into the top portion of the seat.
Old 01-10-23, 09:45 PM
usedname
Pit Crew

I'm just going to disconnect the motor, it doesn't LOOK like a lot of work to get at it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9874223
Old 01-11-23, 02:24 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 113 Posts

It can be disabled using techstream. I did it on mine.

Jabberwock (01-21-23)
Old 01-15-23, 10:24 PM
usedname
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pmesfun

Thanks, just ordered the techstream cable. Need to get rid of the infernal seatbelt binging in the Highlander as well.
Old 01-16-23, 07:05 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Interesting, I’ve never noticed this. But I pretty much set up my seat when I first got the car and haven’t moved it since
Old 01-17-23, 01:01 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 168 Posts

Hi...Mine is a 01 UL and using techstream I don't see this. What is the sequence to get to that setting please...thanks
Old 01-20-23, 06:23 PM
usedname
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pmesfun

Got my cable and installed techstream, fixed this!

Also fixed the god-awful seatbelt warning in our Highlander. Just for those two things alone the cable was worth the $35.

Quick Reply: Alright I've had enough of this - how do I disconnect headrest motor?