LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS sensors changed but light came back

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-23 | 04:04 PM
skylexus
6th Gear

Default TPMS sensors changed but light came back

Hi guys, I recently had my TPMS sensors changed on my 2007 LS460L. After the service the light on the dash went away, but the next time I turned the car on the light appeared. Before I got them replaced it said “Check tire pressure system”, but now it reads “Low tire pressure check all tires.” All of the TPMS sensors show something except one says “checking” and still said that even after the service was done but the light wasn’t on. Is there a reason why the top one is highlighted and the others aren’t?

I took it back to the shop and they said to drive it around for the next 2 days and if it’s still not working then to come back. Anyone have any ideas why it would’ve turned off after the service but then it turned back on? Also why does it only read “checking”.

Last edited by skylexus; 03-04-23 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-04-23 | 04:41 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

If the system takes too long to receive a signal after relearning it might shut down trying to receive the signal. The light is most likely not going to go off on its own. I would have them relearn the system again and immediately after with the key still on they need to go around and rescan all 4 or 5 TPMS sensors again so the system completes the relearn.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (03-04-23)
Old 03-04-23 | 05:05 PM
skylexus
6th Gear

Originally Posted by skylexus
Hi guys, I recently had my TPMS sensors changed on my 2007 LS460L. After the service the light on the dash went away, but the next time I turned the car on the light appeared. Before I got them replaced it said “Check tire pressure system”, but now it reads “Low tire pressure check all tires.” All of the TPMS sensors show something except one says “checking” and still said that even after the service was done but the light wasn’t on. Is there a reason why the top one is highlighted and the others aren’t?

I took it back to the shop and they said to drive it around for the next 2 days and if it’s still not working then to come back. Anyone have any ideas why it would’ve turned off after the service but then it turned back on? Also why does it only read “checking”.
Originally Posted by lexo98
If the system takes too long to receive a signal after relearning it might shut down trying to receive the signal. The light is most likely not going to go off on its own. I would have them relearn the system again and immediately after with the key still on they need to go around and rescan all 4 or 5 TPMS sensors again so the system completes the relearn.
Does that explain why it turned off after I had them checked but then they turned on hours later?
Old 03-04-23 | 05:17 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Does that explain why it turned off after I had them checked but then they turned on hours later?
Did you have the spare tire sensor replaced? If not, that may be the problem. I would start by checking pressure in all tires and put anout 40 psi in the spare tire and maybe 35 in the other tires. If not resolved then, take it back to have the sensors relearned. Good luck.
swfla (03-04-23)
Old 03-04-23 | 05:34 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

To be honest trying to figure out exactly what went wrong will drive you nuts. Most TPMS codes are real generic. You can do it the same way 20 times and then randomly it won’t work. Rescanning them after the relearn is the only thing that works for me. You may have another issue but that’s where I would start. You also might want to see if you have the second set of sensors switch under the passenger side dash and make sure it didn’t get kicked for some reason. It should most likely be in the out position. With your year and if the sensors are older another one may have died out. Yes it can happen right after and sometimes during the relearn process.
Old 03-04-23 | 05:37 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Thinking about it again the air pressures are all over the place. The one is probably highlighted because someone originally set the threshold probably closer to 40psi so it’s giving you a warning. Why don’t you start by setting the pressures evenly where you want them and hit the reset button under the drivers dash.
Old 03-04-23 | 05:44 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

That highlight 32 tells me you need to reset the TPMS psi limit by push the switch under your dash and probably causing the low psi warning. I would set the tires to 33 and reset. Then air them back up to 35+ psi or whatever you desire.

If you only changed 4 sensors, the spare probably is causing the “checking” message. So change that sensor out also.
swfla (03-04-23)
Old 03-04-23 | 06:14 PM
skylexus
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lexo98
Thinking about it again the air pressures are all over the place. The one is probably highlighted because someone originally set the threshold probably closer to 40psi so it’s giving you a warning. Why don’t you start by setting the pressures evenly where you want them and hit the reset button under the drivers dash.
I’ve already tried resetting the TPMS by pressing the button underneath for 3 seconds and letting it flash 3 seconds but it did not fix it. Is there a different way to set the pressure?
Old 03-04-23 | 06:45 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

I’ve already tried resetting the TPMS by pressing the button underneath for 3 seconds and letting it flash 3 seconds but it did not fix it. Is there a different way to set the pressure?
Did you lower the tire pressures before resetting? You want the tire pressures to be at the level where you'd expect a warning, eg 28psi, maybe (including the spare). Reset at 28psi, then fill the tires back up to 34psi (or desired pressure) and, as someone suggested, inflate the spare tire to 40psi. Once the sensors are read, the display will show you which one is the spare (because it's at the higher pressure), or, if you don't see it, then that's your bad sensor.
Old 03-04-23 | 08:03 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Where in Cali are you located?