LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Yikes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23 | 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Where in a Sienna's owners manual does it say Toyota reccomends premium fuel for ALL its vehicles? It says they reccomend Top Tier fuels, but not premium fuel. Top Tier is a detergent grade of gasoline...
Old 03-10-23 | 08:33 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Another gas grade discussion....
Old 03-11-23 | 01:34 PM
Tec80
Advanced

87 has plenty of detergent in it, if you buy a major brand. So no advantage there. Higher octane gas burns slower, so it resists detonation under high load. But the BTU content per gallon is the same. Knock is more likely at low RPM and high load, like in 8th gear when there's a mild uphill grade and no downshift occurs.

In any case, there are 4 knock sensors in the valley to pick up abnormal combustion. The ECM will retard timing temporarily if knock is detected. If you accelerate gently, there's probably not much difference in performance or fuel economy between regular and premium.

On a turbo DI engine, it might make more of a difference.

Old 03-11-23 | 02:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tec80
87 has plenty of detergent in it, if you buy a major brand. So no advantage there. Higher octane gas burns slower, so it resists detonation under high load. But the BTU content per gallon is the same. Knock is more likely at low RPM and high load, like in 8th gear when there's a mild uphill grade and no downshift occurs.

In any case, there are 4 knock sensors in the valley to pick up abnormal combustion. The ECM will retard timing temporarily if knock is detected. If you accelerate gently, there's probably not much difference in performance or fuel economy between regular and premium.

On a turbo DI engine, it might make more of a difference.
BTU content is always lower as you move up in octane

High octane doesn't burn slower, it has higher activation energy requirements

The resistance to detonation is solely the higher activation energy allowing a higher compression PSI before auto ignition due to the temp increase resultant of STP law.

The ECU will CONSTANTLY attempt to hit full spec spark and VVT timing advance and when, not if WHEN knock occurs with lower than spec fuel it will back off and then creep back toward target until it knocks again. It will be an endless loop that will pile on small damage constantly....unless you run fuel that allows the ECU to use the map it is programmed for.

Look up KLCV on this forum to understand more.
Old 03-11-23 | 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Premium has nothing to do with detergents...
Old 03-11-23 | 11:08 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

The argument hasn't been settled. One opinion is to use highest octane possible and get 40mpg and run a 12 sec quarter mile. Another opinion is low octane and cough and sputter and get 10mpg with 19 sec quarter miles. In reality, my experience is lose of maybe one to two miles per gal and a couple tenths in the quarter mile. Every twenty gals I keep an extra twenty dollars in my pocket.
Good or bad. Just ordered six bottles of Chevron Techron. That's a year supply for the SC, LS and RX. Got to keep the fuel system clean.
Old 03-12-23 | 07:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you use top tier gas additives like Techron are a total waste of money. Better to put that money towards running the proper fuel.

If Lexus thought fuel additives were worthwhile they would put them in the maintenance schedule.
Old 03-12-23 | 10:23 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cavedog
The argument hasn't been settled. One opinion is to use highest octane possible and get 40mpg and run a 12 sec quarter mile. Another opinion is low octane and cough and sputter and get 10mpg with 19 sec quarter miles. In reality, my experience is lose of maybe one to two miles per gal and a couple tenths in the quarter mile. Every twenty gals I keep an extra twenty dollars in my pocket.
Good or bad. Just ordered six bottles of Chevron Techron. That's a year supply for the SC, LS and RX. Got to keep the fuel system clean.
Keep micro-detonating your engine then, you will have oil consumption issues spear and develop as well as chain damage as well.

You might want to use straight 30 weight oil as well to save money lol!
Old 03-12-23 | 04:38 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

No 30 weight for me. I use straight STP cut with Motor Honey. I can't hear any motor noise at all. I can't tell if I'm using oil, I can't pull the dip stick. It's like a sword stuck in a stone. Techron maybe a waist, 230k,170k and 150k on my three Lexus I have now and 150k on two previous lexus with no injector problems, tells me keep on using the Techron.
Think about this. Knock sensors retard timing when a knock is sensed. They obviously retard more on 87. Don't you think timing is also retarded on 91 or 93? To eliminate all knock what octane must we use? Is there a limit? Is 104 sufficient or should we go right to aviation gas, eliminate micro knocks?
The following users liked this post:
Tec80 (03-12-23)
Old 03-12-23 | 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No 30 weight for me. I use straight STP cut with Motor Honey. I can't hear any motor noise at all. I can't tell if I'm using oil, I can't pull the dip stick. It's like a sword stuck in a stone. Techron maybe a waist, 230k,170k and 150k on my three Lexus I have now and 150k on two previous lexus with no injector problems, tells me keep on using the Techron.
And that same experience on my Lexus cars I had for a long time tells me to keep using premium and that fuel additives and oil additives are unnecessary. I have a 2003 ES300 right now with 210,000 miles on it I have had since new. Its always run premium fuel, had the oil changed with the specified oil, never used any fuel additives or oil additives and it runs great, gets high 20s in fuel economy on the highway and uses no oil. See how that works? You waste money on Techron and Motor Honey, we "waste money" running the right fuel.

Think about this. Knock sensors retard timing when a knock is sensed. They obviously retard more on 87. Don't you think timing is also retarded on 91 or 93? To eliminate all knock what octane must we use? Is there a limit? Is 104 sufficient or should we go right to aviation gas, eliminate micro knocks?
No, because the ECM is designed for the car to run on 91 octane, the knock sensors don't retard timing because the timing is set for 91 octane, so there isn't any knock. Anything more than that provides no benefit. Its the same reason running premium in a vehicle designed for 87 provides no benefit.

The best way to maintain a car is to follow the factory guidelines at a minimum, use the specified fuel, specified fluids, specified intervals...the engineers that designed the vehicle specified all of that for a reason. My cars that specify 87 get 87, the ones that specif7 91 get 93 (we don't have 91 here). It calls for a specific weight oil? Thats what I use.
Striker223 (03-13-23)
Old 03-13-23 | 08:17 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, because the ECM is designed for the car to run on 91 octane, the knock sensors don't retard timing because the timing is set for 91 octane, so there isn't any knock. Anything more than that provides no benefit. Its the same reason running premium in a vehicle designed for 87 provides no benefit.

The best way to maintain a car is to follow the factory guidelines at a minimum, use the specified fuel, specified fluids, specified intervals...the engineers that designed the vehicle specified all of that for a reason. My cars that specify 87 get 87, the ones that specif7 91 get 93 (we don't have 91 here). It calls for a specific weight oil? Thats what I use.
Me too. From my experience working as a design engineer for Toyota, I would say that if running 91 octane exactly, there is still a decent margin of safety to avoid detonation / knock / etc. And it is because I'm a nerd, and can save enough for a bean burrito (BIG TIME), I mix 87 and 93 to get 91. We have no 91 around here either. Plus, I just like being a nerd. Yes, I've missed 91 octane at times by mixing. But have probably kept it at 91 ± 0.25 octane. I doubt 90.75 octane would see any knock.

I run the specified oil viscosity, and the specified oil change intervals. If any engineers know what they're doing, it is TOYOTA engineers. I run no additives in any fluid of any vehicle I have ever owned. Including my Cummins Ram. And they've never had a fuel or oil related issue (yet). 200k miles on the Cummins, runs loud a (loud-***) dream.
SW17LS (03-13-23)
Old 03-13-23 | 12:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

91 allows zero knock since that's what it is designed to run. Use 93 if you are in a hotter area or have high sustained load situations to be totally sure.

STP cut with an additive.....yep that tracks lol!
Old 03-16-23 | 10:28 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Running regular in a Lexus designed for premium fuel is a great way to have to drop $4,000+ replacing catalytic converters. Don't do it. And no, you can't run aftermarket cats on these cars. For some reason, they only run correctly with CC's from Toyota/Lexus. I have played that game more than a few times on Lexus cars. Every time I replaced a cat with a non-OEM, it works for a few weeks and throws a CEL/runs like ***. Drop the coin for OEM cats, and it fixes it every time.
Old 03-16-23 | 10:40 AM
7milesout
Advanced

What's causing you to go through so many CC's? I've put a lot of miles on quite a few cars, and never had a CC issue.
Old 03-16-23 | 10:55 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I was buying older/higher mileage Lexus cars, and they weren't always taken care of by previous owners. I have owned more Lexus/Toyota cars than most people have owned, just cars, in their lives. My current 2008 LS460 only has 120k on it, and I have had it since 83k, so I got ahold of it in time to keep it maintained properly.

Quick Reply: Yikes!!!