LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any way to get the front lower rearward control arm out of ball joint w/out damaging

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23 | 12:34 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Default Any way to get the front lower rearward control arm out of ball joint w/out damaging

Hi all - so I am in the process of replacing inner and outer tie rods on my 2011 AWD and because I ordered the FIGS kit it came with brand new power ball joints as well. I would really like to replace these while I'm at it but I don't have new lower control arms yet...so my question is does anyone know how I can get the lower control arm out of the ball joint without screwing it up?

Thanks!!
Old 03-10-23 | 01:54 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cryptodoni
Hi all - so I am in the process of replacing inner and outer tie rods on my 2011 AWD and because I ordered the FIGS kit it came with brand new power ball joints as well. I would really like to replace these while I'm at it but I don't have new lower control arms yet...so my question is does anyone know how I can get the lower control arm out of the ball joint without screwing it up?

Thanks!!

Also I cannot (tried the special inner tie rod tool, tried heat, tried a hammer, and a wrench) for the life of me get the passenger side inner tie rod loose... Anyone have any advice as to how I can get this off??
Old 03-10-23 | 02:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Tie rod shouldn't be difficult, if a wrench won't do it use vice grips. Tighten the vice grips as much as you can then hit with a hammer.
Old 03-10-23 | 06:51 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tie rod shouldn't be difficult, if a wrench won't do it use vice grips. Tighten the vice grips as much as you can then hit with a hammer.
Ok maybe I need to get a better angle so I can really hammer away at it. I bent the lock washer back and tried the inner tie rod tool (worthless), then went to a wrench, then heat, then back to the tool and the wrench with a hammer, lol... I was using a ****ty ball peen and an Estwing dead blow, one of the rubber ones. Tomorrow morning I'll go get a 4lb mini sledge and try again. Letting BG in-Force soak overnight (like PB on steroids).

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Old 03-11-23 | 04:48 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

It shouldn't be that hard, especially, with a special tie rod tool. Did it look like somebody other than the manufacturer was there before? Are you trying to turn it in counter clockwise direction when facing it? You need to be careful around the steering rack, it is electronic after all.
Old 03-11-23 | 05:29 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Anfanger
It shouldn't be that hard, especially, with a special tie rod tool. Did it look like somebody other than the manufacturer was there before? Are you trying to turn it in counter clockwise direction when facing it? You need to be careful around the steering rack, it is electronic after all.
I haven't seen one that I know for sure is factory so it would be hard to tell, but I don't think so. I am using one of the tools but the little ring keeps popping off the end, and I have been attempting with a regular socket wrench as I don't have a 1/2in breaker bar. I am attempting to turn counter clockwise when facing it. I am worried about the rack as well that's why I didn't hammer on it much...figured shocks to it wouldn't help.
Old 03-11-23 | 05:35 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

I'm considering getting under there with my Dremel and the flex tool attachment and cutting it off, but I don't want to damage the threads underneath.
Old 03-12-23 | 09:02 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

10lb hammer and a couple good sacks.
Old 03-12-23 | 11:27 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sha4000
10lb hammer and a couple good sacks.
This won't risk damaging the steering rack? I am headed back out to try a few things I read last night. I don't have a 10lb hammer but if everything else fails I'll certainly go and get one, thanks.
Old 03-12-23 | 07:36 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

So at this point I am just going to start looking for a steering rack and pinion as my current one has to be f***ed. Spent most of the day trying to get this stupid tie rod out and the damn thing won't move. Impact, heat, sledge, everything. Kinda looks like my rack may not be perfectly straight and see a bit of fluid puddles in the rack housing. Almost actually looks like maybe the tie rod that's in there was cross threaded?? I don't know. I just know I am out of ideas and this totally sucks.
Old 03-12-23 | 07:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Post a few pics, fresh eyes might see what you don't.
Old 03-13-23 | 01:57 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

So at this point I am just going to start looking for a steering rack and pinion as my current one has to be f***ed. Spent most of the day trying to get this stupid tie rod out and the damn thing won't move. Impact, heat, sledge, everything. Kinda looks like my rack may not be perfectly straight and see a bit of fluid puddles in the rack housing. Almost actually looks like maybe the tie rod that's in there was cross threaded?? I don't know. I just know I am out of ideas and this totally sucks.
I would put it back together and bring it to a dealer to deal with the problematic side only. It is probably cheaper than an used rack.
Old 03-13-23 | 08:50 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

There is a sleeve that's built into the knuckle. Sometimes the tire rod gets stuck in the sleeve and when you try to get it off the sleeve move with the ball joint. I've had this happen to me and could not understand why it would not bulge until I took a closer look. Even though you can't really get a ball joint puller in the knuckle straight I got it in there enough but you have to make sure at least one of the claws is gripping the bottom of the sleeve so it doesn't move. This will most likely destroy the threads on the tie rod but if your putting new ones on it should not matter.
Old 03-15-23 | 12:06 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sha4000
There is a sleeve that's built into the knuckle. Sometimes the tire rod gets stuck in the sleeve and when you try to get it off the sleeve move with the ball joint. I've had this happen to me and could not understand why it would not bulge until I took a closer look. Even though you can't really get a ball joint puller in the knuckle straight I got it in there enough but you have to make sure at least one of the claws is gripping the bottom of the sleeve so it doesn't move. This will most likely destroy the threads on the tie rod but if your putting new ones on it should not matter.

​​​​​​Thank you!! I finally got it off and of course by applying what I learned from the passenger side the driver's side was a piece of cake. I used one of those clawfoot kinda inner tie rod tools that you just hook a breaker bar into and that allowed me to finally get it clamped down in the right place to apply the necessary force. I really appreciate all the help everyone!

Now if I can just figure out what this terrible noise is that is a new development - I think I'll be in pretty good shape! Lol...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post11467337
The following 2 users liked this post by cryptodonis:
Boykie (03-15-23), sha4000 (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23 | 12:39 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Congrats, it was a bit of a nailbiter for me, honestly.