LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2003 LS430 repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23 | 01:17 PM
Koollaid
Rookie

Last edited by Koollaid; 03-30-23 at 01:19 PM. Reason: duplicate message..
Old 03-30-23 | 01:21 PM
Koollaid
Rookie

Originally Posted by Boykie
7 Beam in that price range is a death sentence to your lifestyle and any savings you may have.
There is a yt chan called m539 restorations. Check it out just to know what old beamers are.

460 is a great continuation of LS line (and I've been in your shoes once). It's a proper 'newer' Lexus LS. Just better in almost all aspects than 430 (minus the body style not everyone likes compared to 430). But progress comes with price - be ready to spend 2k+ on new ABS actuator (if not covered by new CS), keep about 1-2k on the ready in case something else goes (valley plate leak, steering water damage etc). I'd be staying away from <2010.

Keep 430. Those cars are modern classics and many are being restored (and often stored/displayed). It is still a great classic solid car, but age will show. So IF I'd be keeping my old 430er - I'd be spending silly money just to keep it 'pristine'. I hate unpristine cars regardless of age and model.

Hope this imho helps.

And yes, I also name my Lexi. Current one is 'Alex Phoenix'. Previous 460 was 'Alex' but was totaled by your truly and it's corpse cannibalized to give birth to 'Alex Phoenix' (risen from ashes of Alex). ROFL
I have found 3
1) https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JTHBN36F765049181

2) https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JTHBN36F265051372

3) https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JTHBN36F665038768

your thoughts on order of value?
Old 03-30-23 | 01:57 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

If you live in CA as your location info says, how are you managing the logistics of test driving East Coast cars? The cost to get it back to CA?
Old 03-30-23 | 02:12 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Originally Posted by swfla
The finance "trick" only works if you finance through the seller. They earn a fee from the lender. If you come in with a loan from elsewhere, there's no profit for seller. Just wanted to be very clear so there's no misunderstanding why this can help. It doesn't matter what the rate is as long as there's no prepayment penalty.
When you look at the loan see if they allow prepayment where you can pay more of the principal than the base payment. It isn't likely but if so you can pay down the principal and cut down on the interest paid out across the life of the loan.
Old 03-30-23 | 02:46 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Nospinzone has it right, pay it off in full one month later. As long as this is a simple interest loan (they almost always are on a used car at this price). You'll pay only a few dollars in interest, assuming that you get a better price on the car. The front end loaded loans of yesteryear are rare.
The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23 | 03:21 PM
Koollaid
Rookie

If you live in CA as your location info says, how are you managing the logistics of test driving East Coast cars? The cost to get it back to CA?
family going to test drive them then garage car so I can arrange shipping... found one company charge $1200 as long as I can wait a couple weeks..
Old 03-30-23 | 03:47 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koollaid
family going to test drive them then garage car so I can arrange shipping... found one company charge $1200 as long as I can wait a couple weeks..
Shipping sounds good. I give you credit for working out the logistics. If it hasn't been mentioned, a prepurchase inspection by an indy shop is crucial in this circumstance. Lemon Squad has a good reputation but maybe a relative has a knowledgeable shop.
Old 03-30-23 | 04:22 PM
Koollaid
Rookie

Shipping sounds good. I give you credit for working out the logistics. If it hasn't been mentioned, a prepurchase inspection by an indy shop is crucial in this circumstance. Lemon Squad has a good reputation but maybe a relative has a knowledgeable shop.
all of these are found on CarFAx that state if anything is wrong they will buy the car...

think I still need an pre inspect?

Old 03-30-23 | 04:26 PM
Nospinzone

Koollaid (and btw I love your avatar) cash may be king in some deals, but never when buying a car from a dealer who offers financing.

I will give you a real life example. Just before I bought my LS460 in 2007, I was close to buying an almost new Infiniti M45. A buyer took delivery of a beautiful fully loaded model and within a month the poor guy died. The family just sold it back to the dealer. The dealer wanted $47K, which at the time was a great price. I said I'll pay cash and offered less than asking. In that case if I was paying cash, the dealer told me they wanted $48K. They told me flat out, just finance it, pay one month on the loan and then pay it off. The dealer didn't care, they got their referral money from the lender.

Well I passed on the car and bought my 2007 LS460, and never looked back!
Old 03-30-23 | 04:42 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

"The CARFAX Buyback Guarantee helps protect consumers from unknowingly buying a vehicle with a DMV-issued title brand, such as Salvage, Junk, Rebuilt, Fire, Flood, Hail, Lemon/Manufacturer Buyback, Not Actual Mileage, or Exceeds Mechanical Limits. If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back according to the terms and conditions of the Guarantee."
This is verbatim from their website.
A car can be in an accident, repaired without an insurance claim and it won't show up on Carfax. They aren't guaranteeing the mechanical condition of the car. An inspection is typically $120-$140. There's no substitute for getting a car on a lift. There could be hidden damage or worn components that could cost big money. 17 year old cars here. You know how expensive Lexus repairs can be from your own experience.
Old 03-30-23 | 04:56 PM
Koollaid
Rookie

"The CARFAX Buyback Guarantee helps protect consumers from unknowingly buying a vehicle with a DMV-issued title brand, such as Salvage, Junk, Rebuilt, Fire, Flood, Hail, Lemon/Manufacturer Buyback, Not Actual Mileage, or Exceeds Mechanical Limits. If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back according to the terms and conditions of the Guarantee."
This is verbatim from their website.
A car can be in an accident, repaired without an insurance claim and it won't show up on Carfax. They aren't guaranteeing the mechanical condition of the car. An inspection is typically $120-$140. There's no substitute for getting a car on a lift. There could be hidden damage or worn components that could cost big money. 17 year old cars here. You know how expensive Lexus repairs can be from your own experience.
preach brother preach!

facts...lesson listened too and learned...

THANK YOU!
Old 03-30-23 | 04:58 PM
Koollaid
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Koollaid (and btw I love your avatar) cash may be king in some deals, but never when buying a car from a dealer who offers financing.

I will give you a real life example. Just before I bought my LS460 in 2007, I was close to buying an almost new Infiniti M45. A buyer took delivery of a beautiful fully loaded model and within a month the poor guy died. The family just sold it back to the dealer. The dealer wanted $47K, which at the time was a great price. I said I'll pay cash and offered less than asking. In that case if I was paying cash, the dealer told me they wanted $48K. They told me flat out, just finance it, pay one month on the loan and then pay it off. The dealer didn't care, they got their referral money from the lender.

Well I passed on the car and bought my 2007 LS460, and never looked back!
Gotcha...that makes sense...

why 460 and not 430?
is this a pandoras box question?
Old 03-30-23 | 05:35 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

You're welcome. Forum members want to help.
Old 04-02-23 | 12:02 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Koollaid
been reading on 430's vs 460's vs 7 series...
(never drove the 7 series, always liked the look.)

put my '96 Fleetwood in shop (hit a dear still in mourning) so needed a 4-door reliable car, was talked into a '03 LS430 (only because the color teal green). She does not have the same smooth land yacht feel like my Fleetwood Brougham nor does she have the same muscle as the 5.7-liter V-8 that's had some touches done.

Now don’t any of you let “Phahleetsha” (what I named my Brougham) know buy I absolutely love this LS430. Had to apologize to the person (my long time mechanic) for all of the negative things I said about “Alexis“ (what I named my LS fourthirty.)

Here is my question to all of you LS owners/lovers.
Alexis has a high engine slow oil leak, cost me around 4 grand to repair and with the other things wrong at her age looking at around $6500 to repair the rest…she sits at 217k miles real clean nice car other nicks and nacks stuff is not really important to repair yet will need to be done.

Should I repair or replace?

I've be Looking at another 430 or a newer LS430 or a 460? gave myself 10 grand budget

PS…I did see a real nice 7 series in that price range that made me look at it twice..

Truth will set me free, do not hold back.

koollaid
“HIGH ENGINE SLOW OIL-LEAK”. What is that?? Never heard of it let alone it costing $6500 to fix. Are you sure you aren’t being lied to?
Old 04-02-23 | 02:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tdes395
“HIGH ENGINE SLOW OIL-LEAK”. What is that?? Never heard of it let alone it costing $6500 to fix. Are you sure you aren’t being lied to?
It's probably the damned cam seals and VVT actuator O-rings. Single most annoying issue the 430 has.

Quick Reply: 2003 LS430 repair or replace?