LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fuel pump gasket leaking oil, Should I do all gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 09:14 AM
Fixmenow
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fuel pump gasket leaking oil, Should I do all gaskets?

I recently purchased a 2009 Lexus LS 460 Base with 133k miles. While changing the brakes/rotors with my brother, I did more inspections and noticed it is leaking around the fuel pump on top of each side. I understand there is a way to do it without removing the valve cover, but with 133k miles, I wondered if it would be worth it to go ahead and replace all the gaskets including the valve cover. One youtube video shows removing the valve cover to clean and prep the fuel gasket anyway. If you are breaking the seal, I assume it makes sense to just clean and replace all that. I can get all the parts OEM from a lexus dealer on ebay for $200 that includes both sides. Fuel gaskets and brackets, o rings, valve cover gaskets, and the rubber ignition coil plugs. I also assumed it would be a good idea to change plugs while I'm at it for another $100. It has 60k on the current spark plugs.

I might be a little jumpy on the tune-up and replacing what isn't broken yet, but I want to get another 7-10 years out of this and want all this done upfront if I have to start touching stuff. if I have to get into this area for anything I assume it makes sense to just do it all since I'm not planning to pay for labor. At the same time, it might be better to not fix anything that isn't broken.

On a side note, I believe my brother can help me do this job, but for the sake of trying to find out the cost, I called a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer. Neither one will give me a quote without seeing the car. I just asked for the cost to do the job of replacing all the gaskets. Have others encountered this?
Old 04-06-23, 09:25 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

You should just do the valve covers while you have the HPFPs and plates off since it is more costly parts wise to do the pumps and if the covers start to leak/are already leaking then you will have wasted the parts.

Cost at a dealer is about $2700
The following users liked this post:
Marc780 (05-16-23)
Old 04-06-23, 09:31 AM
Fixmenow
Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
You should just do the valve covers while you have the HPFPs and plates off since it is more costly parts wise to do the pumps and if the covers start to leak/are already leaking then you will have wasted the parts.

Cost at a dealer is about $2700
$2700! What hr rate is that at and how many hours are factored in? I was hoping they would combine jobs since they were that far in. Valve cover gasket replacement + the other stuff while there. Mostly just extra parts and another hour or so of labor on top. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking on that lol.

My brother has done a lot of mechanic work over the years and used to work at a shop. He has done engine swaps, transmission work(changed the clutch on his own car recently), etc. However, he is in the middle of opening a Dominos (next week) that he is supposed to take over and purchase in a year, so I'm trying to avoid asking too much of him. He is already doing spark plugs and new headlight assemblies on my 2015 Sienna today. He is awesome and doesn't like to say no. As payment, I bought him an after-market stereo system (head unit, speakers, sub) for his car. He doesn't do much for himself, and I don't want to just keep asking for stuff for free.

If I can get something done at a reasonable rate at a mechanic, I don't mind paying. But that rate isn't reasonable at all imo after watching youtube. lol I live in a LCOL area, so there's that too.

Last edited by Fixmenow; 04-06-23 at 09:37 AM.
Marc780 (05-16-23)
Old 04-06-23, 09:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixmenow
$2700! What hr rate is that at and how many hours are factored in? I was hoping they would combine jobs since they were that far in. Valve cover gasket replacement + the other stuff while there. Mostly just extra parts and another hour or so of labor on top. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking on that lol.

My brother has done a lot of mechanic work over the years and used to work at a shop. He has done engine swaps, transmission work(changed the clutch on his own car recently), etc. However, he is in the middle of opening a Dominos (next week) that he is supposed to take over and purchase in a year, so I'm trying to avoid asking too much of him. He is already doing spark plugs and new headlight assemblies on my 2015 Sienna today. He is awesome and doesn't like to say no. As payment, I bought him an after-market stereo system (head unit, speakers, sub) for his car. He doesn't do much for himself, and I don't want to just keep asking for stuff for free.

If I can get something done at a reasonable rate at a mechanic, I don't mind paying. But that rate isn't reasonable at all imo after watching youtube. lol I live in a LCOL area, so there's that too.
Well I'll tell you that just spark plugs is $850 so......dealers are quite expensive. If you decide to DIY be careful with the HPFPs
Marc780 (05-16-23)
Old 04-06-23, 10:31 AM
Fixmenow
Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Well I'll tell you that just spark plugs is $850 so......dealers are quite expensive. If you decide to DIY be careful with the HPFPs
Local Toyota wanted $640 for spark plugs and Local (1hr 1/2 away) Lexus wanted $670. Toyota is 130 / hr and Lexus is 180/hr. I was surprised they were so close in price, but that Lexus dealer has much bigger discounts when you look at the Lexus parts through their store vs others, including Toyota parts. Chatham Parkway Lexus in Savanah Ga. I assume the slight difference is due to offering more discount on parts. The Lexus dealer is in a much larger city, so I assume competition is higher.
Old 04-06-23, 10:53 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,294 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Being you're new to Lexus, my advice is to find an indy shop that has the experience and diagnostics to work on your car. They will almost always be a much lower hourly rate and you'll actually get to know each other. For DIY, it's smart to invest in Techstream and a quality data cable. Even changing brakes calls for computer with proper bleeding procedure.
Marc780 (05-16-23)
Old 04-09-23, 05:36 AM
Fixmenow
Driver

So I found in the Lexus service history this was already done once by the dealer under a campaign. Is there a warranty on this job? It was done at 65k miles in 2015.

SERVICE: ELF-REPL FUEL PRESSURE GASKE T-IS F,GS460,LS460,LS600H
DESCRIPTION:~|~CUSTOMER REQUEST ELF CAMPAIGN ~|~ELF ~|~65086 COMPLETED ELF CAMPAIGN
Old 04-09-23, 06:17 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 418 Posts

It's not that. It's about HP fuel pressure sensor gasket campaign. Nothing to do with HPFPs.
Old 04-09-23, 06:22 AM
Fixmenow
Driver

Originally Posted by Boykie
It's not that. It's about HP fuel pressure sensor gasket campaign. Nothing to do with HPFPs.
So the sensor gasket is a separate gasket from the actual pump?
Old 04-09-23, 06:26 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Completely different part in different location.
Old 04-09-23, 07:11 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

but for the sake of trying to find out the cost, I called a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer. Neither one will give me a quote without seeing the car. I just asked for the cost to do the job of replacing all the gaskets. Have others encountered this?

They don't need to see the car. They already know what it will cost you.
Marc780 (05-20-23)
Old 04-09-23, 01:54 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I recently purchased a 2009 Lexus LS 460 Base with 133k miles. While changing the brakes/rotors with my brother, I did more inspections and noticed it is leaking around the fuel pump on top of each side. I understand there is a way to do it without removing the valve cover, but with 133k miles, I wondered if it would be worth it to go ahead and replace all the gaskets including the valve cover. One youtube video shows removing the valve cover to clean and prep the fuel gasket anyway. If you are breaking the seal, I assume it makes sense to just clean and replace all that. I can get all the parts OEM from a lexus dealer on ebay for $200 that includes both sides. Fuel gaskets and brackets, o rings, valve cover gaskets, and the rubber ignition coil plugs. I also assumed it would be a good idea to change plugs while I'm at it for another $100. It has 60k on the current spark plugs.

I might be a little jumpy on the tune-up and replacing what isn't broken yet, but I want to get another 7-10 years out of this and want all this done upfront if I have to start touching stuff. if I have to get into this area for anything I assume it makes sense to just do it all since I'm not planning to pay for labor. At the same time, it might be better to not fix anything that isn't broken.

On a side note, I believe my brother can help me do this job, but for the sake of trying to find out the cost, I called a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer. Neither one will give me a quote without seeing the car. I just asked for the cost to do the job of replacing all the gaskets. Have others encountered this?
when I looked at yt they didn't sound horrible. It appears to be time consuming and be careful around clips.
Old 04-09-23, 06:30 PM
Fixmenow
Driver

Originally Posted by ausLX
They don't need to see the car. They already know what it will cost you.
That was my assumption but they won’t do it. I supposed they want that “inspection fee” on top of the repair. And I'm sure they don’t want people price shopping, they want your car “trapped” with them so you’ll just get it done with them. A lot of people feel pressured to just let the dealer that diagnoses it fix it. Like they owe them now since they did that much.
Marc780 (05-20-23)
Old 04-09-23, 06:32 PM
Fixmenow
Driver

Originally Posted by Sherl
when I looked at yt they didn't sound horrible. It appears to be time consuming and be careful around clips.
It really doesn’t look hard at all to me. My brother just separated his engine from his transmission in his Hyundai accent to change the clutch. I’m pretty sure he can replace some gaskets.
Old 04-09-23, 06:44 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Famous last words I'm kidding. But get a manual or at least read related posts with pics.
Fixmenow (04-11-23)

Quick Reply: Fuel pump gasket leaking oil, Should I do all gaskets?