LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How do I replace this trim piece?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 02:22 PM
samene
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do I replace this trim piece?

I have a 2011 LS460L. There is a piece of trim which I believe is part # 62552-50060 (62551 for the opposite side). It sits between the rear seat and the rear quarter panel and follows the curve of the wheel well. Some places seem to refer to this part as a "LS460 Rear Left Driver Side Seat Trim Garnish." I am finding diagrams that show zero, one, or three clips for this part and I am also finding nothing to explain what I would do remove and replace this part.

Is this something that pops off without removing anything else? Would I need a trim tool? I haven't done any trim replacement before. I cannot find a how-to video, perhaps because I am not confident that I am referencing the right name. Can someone please give me an idea of what the steps would be?

Old 07-26-23, 07:50 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Pics would help
The following users liked this post:
samene (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 02:23 PM
samene
Rookie

Default Photo to identify the part

Surface is kinda torn up
Old 07-28-23, 10:19 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hope someone can answer your question. I have the same problem. Seat belt hitting this area. I need to replace that part too and would like the info on how to replace this part.

jarm

Old 07-28-23, 10:59 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 415 Posts

Okay, I don't remember pulling this one recently, but my first guess is that first the seat cushion comes out, then seat back (and it's a bugger!), then porch trim. Then I guess it just pulls out (clipped) but don't quote me on that.
Old 07-28-23, 11:02 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 415 Posts

I was right, seat back and porch trim needs to go, then it's just this (3 clips and some tabs):

Feel free to click like if you're up to it
The following 7 users liked this post by Boykie:
Marc780 (10-31-23), rick3242 (10-29-23), samene (07-29-23), Striker223 (07-28-23), swfla (07-28-23), Tked (07-30-23), XF40FSPORT (07-28-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-28-23, 11:22 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

The back seat doesn't have to come out, 3 easy steps...
first remove the scuff plate it has 3 clips...

Then lift the moulding from the bottom and remove these 3 clips from the protruding areas of the part to release the soft seal, just enough to clear the top of the moulding.

Then just swap out the part and bob's your uncle, the top of moulding goes in deep.

Forgot a pic, Boykie is correct that the back seat is "supposed" to come out but the clips parallel to the back portion of the seat will slide back into the slots is you are careful. I had to take all this apart both sides when installing a sub and accessories last year.

Last edited by Gerf; 07-28-23 at 11:44 AM. Reason: forgot a pic
The following 4 users liked this post by Gerf:
Marc780 (10-31-23), rick3242 (10-29-23), samene (07-29-23), swfla (07-28-23)
Old 07-29-23, 03:23 PM
samene
Rookie

Thanks for the help! I don't think I can manage the seat removal myself, so I guess I'll have to try the seats-in-place method. Not feeling very confident about the clips. Courage, I guess.
Old 07-29-23, 06:19 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

If you're replacing the part then you have nothing to worry about...buy or borrow a thin gasket scraper like the one in the picture because it won't do any damage going under the sill plate. put it under in the middle and slide it forward first till it stops, that is the first forward retaining clip. it won't take much upward force to pop it out then slide to the back like you see it positioned in the picture and that's the back 2...do the same there.

The soft seal is easy to take off, pull lightly on the top of the trim part with your thumb and index finger and maybe with a back and forth motion and it will come out. pull in the area circled in the picture, those clips are mostly just for assembly towards the back of the upper seat and the replaced part would stay in place even if you cut both of them off.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gerf:
samene (07-30-23), swfla (07-29-23)
Old 07-30-23, 06:27 AM
Tked
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
If you're replacing the part then you have nothing to worry about...buy or borrow a thin gasket scraper like the one in the picture because it won't do any damage going under the sill plate. put it under in the middle and slide it forward first till it stops, that is the first forward retaining clip. it won't take much upward force to pop it out then slide to the back like you see it positioned in the picture and that's the back 2...do the same there.

The soft seal is easy to take off, pull lightly on the top of the trim part with your thumb and index finger and maybe with a back and forth motion and it will come out. pull in the area circled in the picture, those clips are mostly just for assembly towards the back of the upper seat and the replaced part would stay in place even if you cut both of them off.

What is the part name or number for this rear interior side molding? I'm having some difficulty finding it. Thanks!
Old 07-30-23, 08:31 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tked
What is the part name or number for this rear interior side molding? I'm having some difficulty finding it. Thanks!

That would depend on the colour etc. You should check with a dealer before ordering.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?pnc=62551F
The following 2 users liked this post by Gerf:
swfla (07-30-23), Tked (07-30-23)
Old 07-30-23, 01:03 PM
Tked
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That would depend on the colour etc. You should check with a dealer before ordering.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?pnc=62551F
Awesome, many thanks Gerf!
Old 08-02-23, 01:49 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you tell me what this piece is called in Boykie picture. I need the drivers side garnish as it was hit by the seat belt. Is there a part number for a 2013 LS 460L?

jarm
Old 08-02-23, 03:15 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Click on the parts link above. All info is there.
Old 10-28-23, 10:02 AM
samene
Rookie

Default Today is the day

A lot of things have delayed me getting to this, but I now have the correct parts and am ready to put the "garnish" in place. From your comments thus far, I take it that I just push it in and assume it will line up. I'll use feel to see if there is a slot to slide into.
The little metal clips that connect the soft seal to the garnish seem like they should be attached to the garnish and the soft seal then pressed into the clip rather than start with the clip attached to the seal and the clip pressed into that. The pic above looks like they're attached to the seal but that way seems like it would be harder to ensure clip grip because the bottom of the clip could move down as the garnish is pressed in. Do I have it right or should I move the clip over to the seal? Also, am I forgetting anything (about the garnish, I assume the sill is a gimme)? Thanks!

Quick Reply: How do I replace this trim piece?