LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 03:08 PM
Chefway
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Radar Cruise Control not working

Is there a fuse for the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control? Normal cruise works fine, I just cannot switch and yes I do have the option( car symbol with 3 sonic rays in front of car button) designed for distance.
Old 08-01-23, 03:26 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Was it ever working for you? Did you buy the car recently in this condition? What year and mileage? I don't think there is one fuse for dynamic separate from regular cruise. But there are many thing's that can cause it to quit. Not sure, but checking OBD2 may give you error codes that will help. Do you get a message in the instrument cluster? Quite often the front mounted unit gets damaged and or leaks water in.

Last edited by swfla; 08-01-23 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-02-23, 12:00 AM
Chefway
10th Gear

Originally Posted by swfla
Was it ever working for you? Did you buy the car recently in this condition? What year and mileage? I don't think there is one fuse for dynamic separate from regular cruise. But there are many thing's that can cause it to quit. Not sure, but checking OBD2 may give you error codes that will help. Do you get a message in the instrument cluster? Quite often the front mounted unit gets damaged and or leaks water in.
I purchase like this 2 months ago and it never worked. it’s a 13 with 170k. I used my diagnostic tool and got code c1555 for power steering motor failure which I have replacement on the way. Steering is fine just have to wiggle steering wheel once in a while prior to starting. No other codes and I did a full car scan a few times also no message in the cluster it’s almost like I don’t have it but i do lol. I never revert the grille to inspect the radar I figured if scanner didn’t pull a code and switch is in operable then there must be a fuse. I ruled clock spring out because my horn and everything else works.

Last edited by Chefway; 08-02-23 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-02-23, 05:39 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 596 Likes on 421 Posts

Do you have signage on dash? Icons appearing? If not and your 'normal' cruise 'just works' - your car doesn't have drcc. Perhaps swapped steering wheel.
Old 08-02-23, 06:09 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 646 Posts

The following users liked this post:
swfla (08-02-23)
Old 08-02-23, 07:20 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Great video. Good point about a swapped steering wheel possibility. I believe the sensor is part of/behind the Lexus logo on the grill. If you can see behind that logo, look for an assembly behind it to confirm if you have the option. As I mentioned, I believe that there's no separate fuse for DRCC. If regular cruise works, then it's not a blown fuse. Maybe there's a relay? This is a complex car and having an indy shop (Yelp search) with Japanese experience can get to the bottom of it. Members want to help as much as you want answers. Let us know what comes of things.
Old 08-02-23, 10:01 AM
Chefway
10th Gear

Ok no wave sensor behind grille but it is the radar grille and I see the mounting holes. Is it possible that the car had a fender bender in the front and shop removed it for what ever reason( previous owner may not could afford it, etc.) if so can I just buy the sensor and harness to plug and play
Old 08-02-23, 10:35 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Sadly no, your car have no drcc, sorry. It's not plugnplay in any feasible way. Control systems for drcc/nodrcc cars are vastly different, and preset from factory. You have normal car with normal cruise, but for some reason steering wheel is swapped. I also bet your cruise lever dont have '4th' axis - push out. On drcc cars it switches between radar and normal cruise (but you have signage on dash in any case).
Sorry.
Old 08-02-23, 12:08 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

As Boykie says the steering wheel may have been swapped out due to air bag deploying in the suspected front end collision that may have been much more than a fender bender. Not to be critical of you, but this is an example of why a quality prepurchase inspection is important and wise. Maybe I'm wrong. If you do a vin lookup, often all options/equipment is listed. That's another way to know for certain if the car had that option.
Old 08-02-23, 09:04 PM
Chefway
10th Gear

Yup I’ll do a cin lookup and rpo code to see what exactly Lexus put in here. Correct I should I gotten the pre purchase inspection but otherwise the car is great no issues no lights it just moves the hell out. I have the CARFAX and that’s all it’s stated prior to me purchasing it just one minor front end incident
Old 08-02-23, 09:22 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Glad to hear everything else is working well. Let us know what the VIN search turns up. A new sensor is about $1500 and used on Ebay about $250. If there is a wiring harness, you may be OK. But with front end damage, anything is possible with parts substitutions. If it was turned in to insurance (Carfax source for info) why wasn't it brought back to it's original condition? Things aren't adding up in my view.
Old 08-03-23, 05:17 AM
Boykie
Instructor

swfla, please don't misinform. Even if he buys the radar - his car will never have drcc. ECM is preset at factory to drcc or normal cruise, and can't be reconfigured.
Old 08-03-23, 07:16 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I reread your post and see that the control stalk is missing the correct marking and function. Thanks for pointing out my error.
The following users liked this post:
Boykie (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 08:40 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts
Talking

Guys you are missing the obvious solution here. Teach your dog to be a chauffeur, boom, no radar cruise control needed. XD

The following 3 users liked this post by dan25man:
Boykie (08-03-23), Protholl (08-04-23), swfla (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 05:25 PM
Chefway
10th Gear

Originally Posted by swfla
I reread your post and see that the control stalk is missing the correct marking and function. Thanks for pointing out my error.
Actually I do have the mode cruise stalk, I have the transparent emblem, I have the button the steering wheel I just don’t have the sensor and harness

Quick Reply: Dynamic Radar Cruise Control not working