LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS460 Flashing and flickering low beams (video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-23, 12:59 PM
JasonARGY
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2010 LS460 Flashing and flickering low beams (video)

I've done some searching but haven't seen many videos to see if the issue I am having is bad bulbs. I got the car several months ago so I don't know for sure but I assume the bulbs are original and 13+ years is a good lifespan I would think so I went ahead and ordered new ones anyway. The issue is both lights are flickering and it started at the same time. Also, the flickering is mostly synchronized between the two lights but not always. What else should I be preparing to replace? I've read it can be a bad relay as well but can't find much info on that. I doubt both ballasts are failing at the exact same time. Luckily I don't drive at night much and if I need to we have a second car but I would like this fixed before the days get much shorter.

Old 08-19-23, 02:37 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Try not to get ahead of yourself. It's probably the bulbs. Based on other threads, buy quality bulbs, brand name. Let us know what happens.
The following users liked this post:
JasonARGY (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 02:41 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

Yea, bulbs first. One flaky bulb can easily mess up the system.
LBs are managed by front controller and fed via some solid state relays. Only 'easy' common point I see is E/G RM B (80A) fuse. Otherwise proper electrical diag is required.

On a semi-related note - had to replace guy's front controller recently. Turns out he added 'extra' horns and [illegal] additional lighting apparatus (flashers etc. silly goose) so FC just burnt out. He said it was installed by a previous 'guy' but when I suggested that it all needs to gee-ouh - he said 'just replace the controller, please, k?'... Directed by Robert B. Weide

Last edited by Boykie; 08-19-23 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JasonARGY (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 02:47 PM
Boykie
Instructor

The only bulbs to buy for that beauty (I lurve 10-12 ya'll knows that) are Harison/Toshiba from A DEALER. It might not be a TMC dealer, but it have to be a 101% solid source. Like 80% of those bulbs sold online are counterfeits! They mess your HL from inside.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boykie:
JasonARGY (08-19-23), swfla (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 05:01 PM
JasonARGY
Rookie

Alright, I will start with the bulbs. I ordered Morimoto D4S 4300K bulbs which have really good reviews. I've used Morimoto HID bulbs in the past for my LS430 that were still good when I got rid of the car 7 years later so I'm hoping the quality is still there. Will report back once they are in, hopefully no later than end of next week if shipping takes as long as expected. Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-23, 05:30 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

There are several threads here that agree about Morimoto being quality bulbs. So are Harison Toshiba and several other brands. Counterfeit can be an issue for many auto parts. Buying from a reputable source is a smart move.

Last edited by swfla; 08-19-23 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 02:05 PM
JasonARGY
Rookie

Default Update

Well new bulbs did not fix the issue. Headlights don't come on at all anymore either. High beams work, not sure if that means anything. Is the relay box thing the next thing to replace? I don’t know the part number if someone has it off the top of their head, otherwise I can search online once I’m at the computer later. Seems easy enough looking at the existing one. Any checks I could do as well? I got a volt meter out but I wasn’t sure where I could stick it to try to isolate the issue. I don’t have any warning lights at all and when I turn the switch on, I see the headlight indicator come on in the dash.
Old 08-26-23, 02:07 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Better not gun parts at this point but find a local car electrician. Simple wire break/corrosion point/bad ground can't be ruled out.

add: If you're really handy with a multimeter and up to trying yourself - pm me your vin and I'll try sending you matching wiring diag page for headlights. Assuming you can read that and find all connectors (although it's hardly rocket surgery).
Do I need to add that this is because I _lurve_ 10-12 and will do a lot to keep those riding.

Last edited by Boykie; 08-26-23 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 02:20 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Well, you tried forum diagnosis (a good starting point) now time to get hands on help as Boykie recommends. Electrical issues can be a bear to track down, even for pros. The new bulbs should be still be fine once you solve the issue.

Last edited by swfla; 08-26-23 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 02:49 PM
JasonARGY
Rookie

Originally Posted by Boykie
Better not gun parts at this point but find a local car electrician. Simple wire break/corrosion point/bad ground can't be ruled out.

add: If you're really handy with a multimeter and up to trying yourself - pm me your vin and I'll try sending you matching wiring diag page for headlights. Assuming you can read that and find all connectors (although it's hardly rocket surgery).
Do I need to add that this is because I _lurve_ 10-12 and will do a lot to keep those riding.
I’ll PM you the VIN. I am a mech engineer but I do have some electrical knowledge and my job is mostly troubleshooting so I would say I’m OK with a multimeter. I did look around while I was under there and things looks pretty nice and clean. The car is a California and Arizona car so that has helped but I do wonder if all the baking in the sun has also taken it’s tole.
Old 09-01-23, 07:56 AM
2007ls460l
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

you could consider checking the junction box
Old 09-03-23, 10:38 AM
JasonARGY
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2007ls460l
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE_A0mKwKb8

you could consider checking the junction box

I initially thought it could be this part but it seemed odd that both headlights would go out at the same time. Hard for me to imagine that both headlight relays went bad at the same time? I'll give it a try though because I'm somewhat out of other options.
Old 09-03-23, 11:21 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Did you meter check the connectors as Boykie recommended? Result?
Old 09-03-23, 11:33 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Yea this is a true curveball, I kinda ache to solve it now. All support is being provided, but that's some PineHollowAutoDiag level puzzler.
Also, I remember LS430 soldered relay inside the body module problem, where all your interior illumination craps out randomly but progressively, and it was a plague. One car started doing that, 6 month later all cars started doing that. And it took one brave soul with lots of free time and dedication to find out that relay, cross the part number with electronics suppliers, then fix it for his car and share the detailed instructions. That was a blessing. I wasn't that guy, but respect.
So, my cautious train of thought here - if that happened to at least two people with 10-12 (youtube guy and JasonARGY), that may start happening to other precious 10-12 and I'm that group, and I'd love to be prepared. So I'm all in on this.
Old 09-03-23, 11:37 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Make it three!!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...he-fuse-2.html !!!

Wow reading this amazing thread I see other expeditions went there already, even tried locating a failed relay and took pictures. Looks like it's 430's illum relay problem all over again, but this time it's all potted there with lots of compound. Thankfully that fuse box isn't really expensive new. Hmm. I'm getting one for spare?? Am I getting one? I'm getting one.

Last edited by Boykie; 09-03-23 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 LS460 Flashing and flickering low beams (video)