LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Replaced Front Air Shocks VGRS Code after 30 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-23, 08:26 AM
rcboneyard
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Replaced Front Air Shocks VGRS Code after 30 miles

Original front air shock assembly replaced at 73K miles with NEW pair of Arnott shocks due to driver side noise over bumps. Local repair garage performed install. Drive perfectly for 20 miles and VSC System & VGRS System errors; local repair garage could NOT clear the error code. Error occured after I tested the "Sport/Comfort and Height controls". Did they forget a key setup or ???? - thanks for ideas.
Old 08-22-23, 08:35 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Are the new shocks air? Even if they aren't, hooking up the original wires and connectors is supposed to eliminate any codes or lights. VGRS is for steering system, nothing to do with shocks. You may have a separate issue. What are the OBD2 code numbers you're getting? Error lights don't tell you what the specific issue is. If the shop you used has Techstream software and they know how to use it, they should be able to help you. If they aren't experienced with Lexus, they may be the problem.
Old 08-22-23, 08:38 AM
rcboneyard
Rookie

New shocks are AIR. I will check on the Techstream software. NO Error codes prior to install. Thanks
Old 08-22-23, 12:43 PM
rcboneyard
Rookie

POSSIBLE Fix: Arnott Technical help indicated the air shock assembly does NOT USE the "Sport / Comfort" feature and when I selected the Sport / Comfort selector, a RESISTOR at the top end of the shock possibly shorted and has triggered the error. A FIX is on the way and does not require shock removal to replace the resistor.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23, 01:40 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rcboneyard
POSSIBLE Fix: Arnott Technical help indicated the air shock assembly does NOT USE the "Sport / Comfort" feature and when I selected the Sport / Comfort selector, a RESISTOR at the top end of the shock possibly shorted and has triggered the error. A FIX is on the way and does not require shock removal to replace the resistor.
Yes, Arnott's are NOT compatible with different drive modes, which is the reason I went w/ OEM.

BTW, how does the Arnott's feel compared to OEM?
aypues (10-02-23)
Old 08-23-23, 02:31 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

New shocks are AIR. I will check on the Techstream software. NO Error codes prior to install. Thanks
No codes before install certainly makes the install seem a possible cause. I do hope you find codes afterwards, it'll help. I don't know if there is a module that is shared by both steering and suspension. Looking forward to your resolution and learning from it.
Old 08-23-23, 03:55 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 858 Likes on 633 Posts

I don't think it has anything to do with the new air struts, maybe the local garage jacked it up on the steering rack. Maybe it's the battery or alternator...lots of maybe's.
Skid control and variable ratio steering have nothing to do with suspension system as far as I know...why does the strut have a resistor?
swfla (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23, 04:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
I don't think it has anything to do with the new air struts, maybe the local garage jacked it up on the steering rack. Maybe it's the battery or alternator...lots of maybe's.
Skid control and variable ratio steering have nothing to do with suspension system as far as I know...why does the strut have a resistor?
Because the ones he is using aren't variable damping and it's needed to fool the computer into thinking they are.

The struts can absolutely screw with VSC since the computers use them as reference for how to control the car based on the level sensors and damping profile.
The following 2 users liked this post by Striker223:
swfla (08-23-23), Tec80 (10-03-23)
Old 08-23-23, 05:01 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Striker223

The struts can absolutely screw with VSC since the computers use them as reference for how to control the car based on the level sensors and damping profile.
That's pretty funny, the air suspension on these cars take almost 5 minutes to go from high to low just sitting still...unless the control units have the ability to see into the future they couldn't keep up unless you're parallel parking on a perfectly level street.
I'm going to disconnect both front actuators tomorrow and see what codes I get haha.

Old 08-23-23, 05:11 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Gerf's logic is quite good. VSC is more of an instantaneous safety feature. But it could still be possible that it still monitor's it. I don't really know.
Old 08-23-23, 07:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

That's pretty funny, the air suspension on these cars take almost 5 minutes to go from high to low just sitting still...unless the control units have the ability to see into the future they couldn't keep up unless you're parallel parking on a perfectly level street.
I'm going to disconnect both front actuators tomorrow and see what codes I get haha.
Originally Posted by swfla
Gerf's logic is quite good. VSC is more of an instantaneous safety feature. But it could still be possible that it still monitor's it. I don't really know.
I haven't really messed with it on Lexus to be honest but it 100% does matter on German cars. I would HOPE that lexus factors that in, if you altered the suspension angle with the new struts however there is a chance the yaw center changed and you are supposed to relearn that. That's strange it takes them that long to to move, in my cars I can go from dropped to 8 inch off the ground in 20 seconds max and it adjusts as soon as you sit down inside.

I had to when I replaced my 460s front arms and struts so maybe that's all it is? He needs to scan the thing and tell us exactly what it wants lol
Old 08-23-23, 07:11 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

He did drive it 20 miles before an issue came up and then only after he touched ride height switch. This will be an interesting one to follow as I haven't seen any threads about Arnott air shocks installed.
Old 08-24-23, 09:09 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Well this is kinda strange, I disconnected both actuators today...started the car and toggled the modes a few times and nothing. Took it out for a run stopped ignition off for a couple of minutes 3 times for trip logic and still nothing, checked with my autel because windows laptop batt is dead and no codes there either.
Now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my car lol.

Old 08-24-23, 09:30 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

LOL, I feel your concern. No news is good news in most cases.
Old 08-24-23, 10:15 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 418 Posts

Hmm. Breaking any actuator circuit throws C173x dtc in airsus. Live data, Gerf? Can you connect to airsus normally??
Ok, going to pull one from mine to double confirm. Back in a tick.
ADD: According to fsm breaking an actuator circuit will store a code but will not light up 'HEIGHT HI' indicator right away.
ADD2: Yes, dtc sets but no indication on dash. Airsus ecu have no means of communicating malfunctions other than 'HEIGHT HI' lamp (by design). I'm leaning towards unrelated vgrs code at this point. But arnott.. Dude... Stingy pays twice imho. That vgrs code needs to be read now, it's probably still stored there, unless battery was disconnected afterwards.

Last edited by Boykie; 08-24-23 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Replaced Front Air Shocks VGRS Code after 30 miles